• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

🎵 AotW AOTW: Gato Barbieri - CALIENTE! (SP-4597)

How Would You Rate This Album?

• ***** (Best)

Votes: 1 20.0%

Votes: 2 40.0%

• * (Worst)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Never Heard This Album

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

Gato Barbieri
CALIENTE!

A&M SP-4597

sp4597.jpg

Released 1976
Peaked at #4 on the Jazz Album charts (1976) and #75 on the Pop Album charts (1977)

Format: Vinyl/8-Track/Cassette/CD

Produced by Herb Alpert
Associate Producer: Michelle Barbieri

Songs:
  • 1. Fireflies (Gato Barbieri) - 5:28
    2. Fiesta (Gato Barbieri) - 5:07
    3. Europa (Earth's Cry Heaven's Smile) (Devadip Carlos Santana) - 4:07
    4. Don't Cry Rochelle (Gato Barbieri) - 4:55
    5. Adios - Part I (Gato Barbieri) - :33
    6. I Want You (Leon Ware/Arthur Ross) - 5:53
    7. Behind The Rain (Herb Alpert) - 5:37
    8. Los Desperados (Gato Barbieri) - 6:15
    9. Adios - Part II (Gato Barbieri) - :59

Arranged by Gato Barbieri
    Orchestrations Arranged & Conducted by Jay Chattaway

Musicians:
Gato Barbieri - Tenor Sax
Lenny White - Drums
Gary King - Bass
Eric Gale - Guitar
David Spinozza - Guitar
Joe Beck - Guitar
Eddy Martinez - Keyboards
Don Grolnick - Keyboards and Synthesizer
Ralph MacDonald - Percussion
Cachete Maldonado - Percussion
Mtume - Percussion
Trumpets: Marvin Stamm, Bernie Glow, Randy Brecker, Irvin Markowitz
Trombones: Wayne Andre, David Taylor, Paul Faulise
Strings: Alfred Brown, David Nadien, Charles McCracken, Theodore Israel, Matthew Raimondi, Harry Cykman, Harry Glickman, Alan Shulman, Max Ellen, Harold Kohon, Max Pollikoff, Harry Lookofsky, Paul Gershman

Recorded at A&R Studios RI, New York
Engineer: Don Hahn
Assistant Engineers: Tom Bush and Dave Smith
Mastering Engineer: Bernie Grundman, A&M Studios, Hollywood, California

Art Directions: Roland Young
Album Design: Chuck Beeson
Photography: Bill King
Fire Eater Photo: Raul Vega
Liner notes: Gato Barbieri

Capt. Bacardi

I actually like Gato's take of "Europa (Earth's Cry Heaven's Smile)" better than Santana's own version.

Fairly good material and arrangements... Just that Barbieri is somneone I never completely got into...

Really should'a caught his appearance at a recently-opened Jazz club near me, which Gato had Three Dates at...

Dave

!CALIENTE! OH MY GOD!! This was the album that pretty much sealed the deal for me on my ultimate love of jazz! I had heard a bit about Gato because of his soundtrack for LAST TANGO IN PARIS, but when I saw !CALIENTE! in my friend's uncle's used record shop,and Herb's name on the credits as producer, I just HAD to get it.

Well,I DEFINITELY was NOT disappointed!!! Every song on this album is a highlight! From the fiery explosion of "Fireflies" to the Latin-jazz party jam of "Fiesta" to the sensuality of "Earth's Cry" and "I Want You" to the beautiful original version of "Behind The Rain",and the action -adventure type theme music of "Los Desperadoes",this album is a classic!

I bought this album when I was eighteen years old, and before then,I had heard Herb,Metheny,Grover,Sanborn,Joe Sample,etc.;but this album showed that jazz could be creative and artistic,not pandering, but at the same time,be commercial as well.

From what I understand,there was some behind the scenes tension during the making of this album between Herb and Gato. Herb wanted to do a lot of "punching in";meaning a lot of editing between takes, but Gato wanted to play it straight through, no editing,nothing. At first,Herb didn't like this,but ultimately came to accept Gato's decision. And also from what I understand,this heavily influenced how Herb played on his future recordings.

On a sad note:I went to a website that has links to Gato,and it said that Gato's eyesight is very bad;from what I read the last time, it's getting worse.Say a prayer for Gato that his eyesight gets better,and that we can hear more music from this great master.

I really love this album. I had heard some of Gato's earlier work on the Impulse! label (I loved his Chapter One: Latin America album) and once I saw Herb Alpert's name as a producer I just had to pick this album up. Gato has a certain passionate quality to his playing, and many of his own tunes are incredibly melodic and romantic. But the thing I loved most on this album was some of the background stuff in the rhythm section, especially on tunes like "Behind The Rain" and "Fireflies". This was a good album to listen with headphones. There's still no better makeout song than "Europa", with Gato's gut-wrenching sax work. The string section on this song is excellent. It complimented what Gato was doing perfectly. "Fiesta" was an early favorite of mine. Lots of fire here. I thought the brief versions of "Adios" were a cool way to end each side. Overall, a very strong album. 4 stars.

Capt. Bacardi

I'm generally not very much into jazz (and saxophones in particular), but I own this album on both cassette and CD. I saw the cassette in a close-out bin for a buck and bought it, only because of the Alpert influence. Once I listened to the cassette, I realized that it was a pretty good album and bought the CD version for the collection.

It doesn't get a lot of play, but I do like it when I'm in a jazzy mood.

Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom