AOTW: Gerry Niewood And Timepiece (SP-719)

How Would You Rate This Album?

• ***** (Best)

Votes: 1 20.0%

Votes: 2 40.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• * (Worst)

• Never Heard This Album

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

Gerry Niewood
GERRY NIEWOOD AND TIMEPIECE

A&M/Horizon SP-719

sp719.jpg

Released 1977

Format: Vinyl

Produced by Gerry Niewood
Executive Producer: Chuck Mangione

Musicians:
Gerry Niewood - Soprano Sax, Alto Sax, C Flute, Alto Flute, Percussion
Dave Samuels - Vibes, Marimba, Percussion
Ron Davis - Drums, Conga, Percussion
Michel Donato - Acoustic Bass
Rick Laird - Electric Bass (2, 3, 9)

Songs:
  • 1. Joy (Gerry Niewood) 4:04
    2. Soft Focus (Rick Laird) 3:43
    3. Aqua (Andy Laverne) 4:57
    4. Anyo (Dave Samuels) 3:34
    5. MEDLEY: Manhattan Bittersweet/Snow (Gerry Niewood) 7:26
    6. Ralph's Piano Waltz (John Abercrombie) 4:46
    7. Masada (Dave Samuels) 3:20
    8. Thorn Of A White Rose (Jan Hammer) 6:10
    9. Timeless (John Abercrombie) 8:07

Creative Director for Horizon: John Snyder

Recorded and Mixed at Manta Sound Studios, Toronto, Canada
Engineer: Mick Guzauski
Assistant Engineer: Gary Gray

Transcription of Solo on "Joy": Bruce Thomas

Art Direction: Roland Young
Design: Ken Anderson and Phil Shima
Cover Painting: Joe Garnett
Photography: Ricardo Salas
Michel Donato Photo: Bernie Senensky

Liner notes by Gerry Niewood, Ron Davis, Dave Samuels, Rick Laird and Michel Donato.

Capt. Bacardi

Gerry Niewood appeared with Chuck Mangione at Chuck's concert I saw back in April. Though only Mangione was out signing autographs at the end of the show, while Niewood and the band weren't as accessible...

Saw Gerry's LP going for a buck in the $1 Jazz Section at one record store in Garden City, MI that folded a few years ago, before its "chief competitor" with stores in Garden City, Dearborn Heights and downtown Dearborn that I briefly worked at also shut down and that also had this LP, as well...

So, I'm kinda sorry I never tried Timepiece, but I did try both Esther Satterfield albums produced by Chuck Mangione, which I thought Gerry Niewood appeared on, too.

Dave

Dave said:
Gerry Niewood appeared with Chuck Mangione at Chuck's concert I saw back in April.

Of course Niewood played on the first two A&M albums by Mangione (Chase The Cluds Away and Bellavia) and did an earlier solo album, Slow Hot Wind (SP 3409). He was also featured on Simon & Garfunkle's Concert In Central Park.

Capt. Bacardi

I find both Niewood's A&M releases quite listenable... Jazzier than Paul Winter, only slightly "new agey" and a nice pairing with Mangione's LPs (both Gap and Chuck).

Incidentally, a good chunk of the SP3400 series is associated with Chuck Mangione. Most were previously released on the Sagoma label (and some under an alternate title). Judging by the logo it looks like Sagoma was a Mangione label and he possibly struck a production/distribution deal with A&M at one time....

--Mr Bill

I just noticed that Gerry Niewood is among the few artists to have an album released on both A&M and one of the custom labels of A&M. The others I can think of are:

Gerry Niewood (A&M and Horizon)
Herb Alpert (A&M and Horizon)
Paul Desmond (A&M, CTI and Horizon)
Gerry Mulligan (A&M and Modern Masters Series)

Any others?

Capt. Bacardi

This is such a nice album. Niewood's soprano sax playing is so smooth that it rarely sounds like a soprano sax, and he's equally proficient on flutes as well. A young Dave Samuels on vibes and marimba is a perfect match for Niewood throughout this album. Their playful banter on the grooving "Anyo" is worth the price of this album alone. "Joy" is another favorite of mine, done in 6, and is light and airy. It's easy to see why Chuck Mangione's earlier albums were better when Gerry Niewood was with his band. Niewood doesn't play a lot of "licks" and plays thoughtful passages, whether it's an uptempo tune or a ballad. This is another album that deserves to be on CD. It may not be a commercial success, but the music is high quality.

Capt. Bacardi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom