🎵 AotW AOTW: Head East - FLAT AS A PANCAKE (SP 4537)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
Head East
FLAT AS A PANCAKE

A&M SP-4537

sp4537.jpg

Founded in St. Louis, Head East released a single, "Never Been Any Reason," which became a staple of FM radio upon its 1975 release and remains so to this very day.

Tracks:

Never Been Any Reason (Somerville) 5:10/ One Against the Other (Schlitt) 3:47/ Love Me Tonight (Somerville) 4:27/ City of Gold (Huston) 3:41/ Fly by Night Lady (Huston) 2:47;

Jefftown Creek (Huston) 6:41/ Lovin' Me Along (Somerville) 5:25/ Ticket Back to Georgia (Huston) 4:02*/ Brother Jacob (Huston) 3:10.

All songs published by Almo Music Corp./Head East Music (ASCAP) except *Terrace-Chet Music (ASCAP)

Produced by Roger Boyd for SSIZLE PRODUCTIONS
Engineer: Tom Byler/ Recorded at Golden Voice Studios, Pekin, Illinois
Personnel Direction: Irv Zuckerman & Steve Schankman, Artist Vision St. Louis;

Road Crew: David Boyd & Jeff Schlitt/ Special Thanks to Ross Gentile, Bob Taylor, Jerry Milam, Terry Jamison & David Dashev/

Art Direction: Roland Young/ Album Design: Chuck Beeson/ Front Cover Photography: Harry Mittman/ Back Cover Photography: Jerry Tovo - the Brass Shutter.

Reissued as SP/CD 3196

FLAT AS A PANCAKE entered the Billboard Top 200 on 8-30-75 and peaked at # 126, charting for 17 weeks, according to Whitburn's 'Top Pop Albums.'

For more information, visit the band's official site:

www.head-east.com

JB

I saw Head East in concert in '76. They were the middle act on a three act bill - it was Heart, Head East and Bachman-Turner Overdrive. What a great concert that was.

This album is a solid effort, if a little dated sounding now (mostly due to the synthesizers, I think). My favorite song on it was "Love Me Tonight" which was a single, but surprisingly didn't do as well as "Never Been Any Reason." The record just steamrolls along and doesn't really let up. The followup album, GET YOURSELF UP, with its truckload-of-weed cover, is nearly as good.

Given the huge hit single, I'm surprised the album didn't chart higher than 126. We used to sell lots of copies of it here at the store.

It's available on CD from A&M--I guess it has a bit of an "underground" following. :thumbsup:

One of our local stations (WIMZ 103.5) has been in a time warp since the early '80s but is easily the most popular in the area. They play tons of Zep, Def Leppard, Boston, Seger, Skynyrd, etc. and have since inception.

You can count on hearing "... Reason" at least once a day. I'm sure that station's got counterparts in other regions.

JB

The back cover is pretty nifty...: The Band eatin' STACKS O' PANCAKES at THE HI-WAY DINER!!!! :D

Dave

"Saved My Life I'm Going Down For The Last Time" - Central Michigan University (from a Playboy article) :laugh: :o Matt Clark Sanford, MI

You can count on hearing "... Reason" at least once a day.
XM's '70s on 7 plays it a lot too, along with "Love Me Tonight."

I've heard some of their music (besides those singles) on the "Deep Tracks" and "Big Tracks" channels too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom