• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

🎵 AotW AOTW: Manolo Badrena - MANOLO (SP-4783)

How Would You Rate This Album?

• ***** (Best)

Votes: 1 25.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 25.0%

• * (Worst)

• Never Heard This Album

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

Manolo Badrena
MANOLO

A&M SP-4783

sp4783.jpg

Released 1979

Format: Vinyl/Cassette

Produced by Herb Alpert and Manolo Badrena

Songs:
  • 1. The One Thing (Manolo Badrena) - 5:54
    2. Canales (Love Will Pave The Way) (Sybil Thomas/Manolo Badrena) - 3:31
    3. Got Some (News For You) (Manolo Badrena) - 4:43
    4. Clube Da Esquina (The Corner) (Milton Nascimento/Lo Borges/Marcio Borges) - 4:08
    5. Fly Away (Agueybana) (Manolo Badrena) - 5:14
    6. Claro Que Si (Yes Of Course) (Manolo Badrena) - 4:00
    7. Yana (Manolo Badrena) - 2:33
    8. Amor Lejano (Distant Love) (Manolo Badrena) - 6:57

Musicians:
Manolo Badrena - Drums and assorted Percussion, Synthesizer, Vocals
Abraham Laboriel - Bass
Jaco Pastorius - Bass (1)
Carlos Rios - Guitar
Jorge "Jeta" Fattoruso - Drums, Percussion
Hugo Fattoruso - Synthesizers, Piano, Fender Rhodes, Vocals
Gary "El Buho" Gazaway - Trumpet and Trombone, Recorder, Shells, Overall Insanity
Alfredo De La Fe - Violins
Vocals: Sybil Thomas, Maria Fatima, Lani Hall, Vennette Gloud, Carmen Twillie

Recorded and Mastered at A&M Recording Studios, Hollywood
Engineered by Mark Smith
Assistant Engineer: Steve Katz
Mastered by Bernie Grundman

Art Direction: Roland Young
Design: Amy Nagasawa
Illustration: Mac James/Rod Dyer, Inc.
Photo Illustration of Manolo: Michael Going

Liner notes by Herb Alpert

Capt. Bacardi

"The furthur on we go, the less likely I am to have heard..." I do recognize the background singers and Carlos Rio on guitar... Hugo Fattoruso was the keyboardist on that Airto Moriera Fingers album I frequently said I owned, as well as most likely those few Flora Purim albums I also have had... Surely I MIGHT've seen Jorge "Jeta" Fattoruso, play drums there,...too! :?: Who doesn't know Abraham Laboriel and Jaco Pastorius on bass?!

And if all this took place at A&M Studios, then it's a good thing that Herb was listening...!

I had two albums; one, a CD and the other, a Cassette that Monolo Badrena appeared on, by keyboardist, Pete Levin... (bassist, Tony Levin's brother)

Dave

Manolo was on a classic album by Weather Report called Heavy Weather, then joined Herb Alpert & Hugh Masekela on the Main Event - Live album.

Capt. Bacardi

His extended solo at The Roxy during the Herb/Hugh concert was astounding to say the least. Had a nice repartee going wiht Herb at one point. He had the appearance of being totally insane -- remiinded me of the character Tongo on the old "Danger Island" segment of The Banana Splits Saturday TV show when I was a kid...

--Mr Bill

This is an interesting mix of styles, with some thunderous (at times) percussion. I had forgotten that Jaco Pastorius was the bass player on "The One Thing", which is a hectic, frenzied tune. Sybil Thomas has a very distictive vocal on "Canales". She sounds similar to Minnie Riperton. My favorite cut on this album is the dreamy "Clube Da Esquina" with Maria Fatima on vocals. I'd be interested in hearing Milton Nascimento's original version of this song. "Claro Que Si" is pretty much just a vamp with a variety of effects throughout. "Yana" is kind of a brief, hip fusion affair. The album closes with another ethereal piece "Amor Lejano", which really doesn't do a whole lot. An interesting album, but not one I would put on at a party or anything. 3 stars.

Capt. Bacardi

A&Mguyfromwayback said:
He WAS totally insane!!

I last saw Manolo when he was playing with Spyro Gyra in the 90's. I guess he kind of toned things down by then, although he still had plenty of energy in his playing.

Capt. Bacardi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom