• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

🎵 AotW AOTW: Michael Murphey GERONIMO'S CADILLAC (A&M SP 4358)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
Michael Murphey
GERONIMO'S CADILLAC

A&M SP4358

sp4358.jpg

A&M initially passed up on signing Texas Singer-Songwriter Michael (Martin) Murphey, even though he had connections to the label. His former wife, Diana, was Beatles Manager Brian Epstein's secretary, and she had gone to work for A&M after his death.

The label quickly changed its mind when they learned Murphey was working with Producer Bob Johnston, who had masterminded Bob Dylan's NASHVILLE SKYLINE album. According to the liner notes in the CD reissue of GERONIMO'S CADILLAC, A&M execs feared Murphey would sign with Dylan's label, Columbia, and they "didn't want to be embarrassed."

The single and album were successful, but he would have greater success later with his 1975 single "Wildfire."

SIDE ONE
Geronimo's Cadillac 4:39/ Natchez Trace 4:02/ Calico Silver 4:09/ Harbor for my Soul 3:16/ Rainbow Man 3:05/ Waking Up 3:29.

SIDE TWO
Crack Up in Las Cruces 4:31/ Boy From the Country 4:35/ What am I Doin' Hangin' Around 2:31/ Michael Angelo's Blues (Song for Hogman) 3:22/ I See the Lights of That City 4:05

Produced by Bob Johnston for SIncere Productions, 1972
Recorded at Columbia Recording Studios, Nashville TN & London, England
Engineers - Bob Potter & Neil Wilburn
String arrangements by - Jimmy Horowitz
Album Design - Good Time Graphix
Photography & Artwork - Bill Matthews
Photo of Bob Livingston by Ron Burnham, Austin TX
Drawing of Geronimo by William Holloway, Crackle Graphics, Austin TX

Michael Murphey - acoustic guitar, bottleneck mandolin, piano, harmonica and vocals
Leonard Arnold - elecgtric & pedal steel guitar
Gary Nunn - bass, piano, background vocals
Robert Livingston - bass & background vocals
Boomer Castleman - electric guitar with hand levers
Kenny Buttrey - drums, percussion
Karl Himmel - drums (courtesy of Mother Earth)
Charles John Quatro - vocals & constant encouragement
Leonard Cohen - good spirits

"Rainbow Man" dedicated to Thom Klika
Album dedicated to Diana and Ryan Murphey
Special thanks to Marty Machat, Allan McDougall & R.A. Caldwell

More than one CD reissues exist.
Both GERONIMO'S CADILLAC and the A&M follow-up, COSMIC COWBOY SOUVENIR (SP 4288) were reissued by Raven Records of Australia.

The Raven reissue of SP 4358 has the following bonus tracks, which were recorded New Years Eve 1970 live at the Rubiayat in Austin TX:

You Can Only Say So Much 4:31
Blood Brothers 4:29
Kansas City Catfish Man 4:34
Sikston County Wildman 4:59
Fort Worth, I Love You 3:45

GERONIMO'S CADILLAC entered the Billboard Top 200 on Sept. 23, 1972, peaked at # 160 and charted for nine weeks. The single of the same name reached # 37 (Whitburn's "Top Pop Albums")

Visit Michael's official site:

www.michaelmartinmurphey.com

JB

Neat Website Mr. Murphey has. Read his legnthy biography, so far...

The Ray Conniff Singers made a medley of "Wildfire" with "Rhinestone Cowboy". Wasn't Geronimo's Cadillac just reissued by Hip-O Select? The title-song was also done on A&M by Hoyt Axton and Cher even covered it, too...

Murphey started out as a songwriter writing "What Am I Doing Hanging Around" for The Monkees and "I Feel Good, I Feel Bad" was a song he recorded himself on the Colgems label The Monkees were also on. "Boy From The Country" done by John Denver still makes me "misty", too! :sad:

Dave

This album is available now from Hip-O Select (limited edition of 5000). See the links in the news item on the main page...

--Mr Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom