• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

🎵 AotW AOTW: Milton Nascimento - MILTON (SP-4611)

How Would You Rate This Album?

• ***** (Best)

Votes: 3 37.5%

Votes: 3 37.5%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • * (Worst)

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Never Heard This Album

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

Milton Nascimento
MILTON

A&M SP-4611

sp4611.jpg

Released 1976

Format: Vinyl/8-Track/Cassette/CD (Verve Reissue)

Produced by Rob Fraboni
Associate Producer (Brazil) - Ronaldo Bastos

Songs:
  • 1. Raça (Hasa) (Race) (Milton Nascimento/Fernando Brant) - 3:35
    2. Fairy Tale Song (Cadê) (Milton Nascimento/Ruy Guerra/Matthew Moore) - 4:11
    3. Francisco (Milton Nascimento) - 4:27
    4. Nothing Will Be As It Was (Nada Será Como Antes) (Milton Nascimento/Ronaldo Bastos/Rene Vincent) - 3:53
    5. Cravo e Canela (Clove And Cinnamon) (Milton Nascimento/Ronaldo Bastos) - 3:44
    6. The Call (Chamada) (Milton Nascimento/Ronaldo Bastos) - 5:49
    7. One Coin (Tostão) (Milton Nascimento/Matthew Moore) - 4:30
    8. Saídas e Bandeiras (Exits And Flags) (Milton Nascimento/Fernando Brant) - 4:45
    9. Os Povos (The People) (Milton Nascimento/Marcio Borges) - 8:06

Arranged by Milton and The Group

Musicians:
Milton Nascimento - Vocals, Nylon String Acoustic Guitar, Whistling
Novelli - Bass
Raul de Souza - Trombone
Wayne Shorter - Soprano Saxophone, Tenor Saxophone
Herbie Hancock - Piano
Hugo Fattoruso - Organ, Piano
Toninho Horta - 12-String Guitar, Electric Guitar
Roberto Silva - Drums, Percussion
Airto Moreira - Drums, Percussion (5)
Laudir de Oliveira - Percussion
Maria Fatima - Vocals (1, 7)

Recorded at Shangri-La Studios, Malibu and The Village Recorder, Los Angeles
Engineer - Jeremy Zarkin
Second Engineers - Terry Becker and Tim Kramer
Mixed at The Village Recorder, Los Angeles
Mastered at A&M Recording Studios, Hollywood by Bernie Grundman

Art Direction - Roland Young
Design - Phil Shima
Photography - CAFI

Capt. Bacardi

Finally, an album I recognize after we left the land of A&M/CTi. This isn't a favorite of mine by a longshot, and I haven't listened to it in years and can't find my copy at the moment; "Fairy Tale Song" was my favorite track, IIRC. I should give it a spin again for a fair rating; for now, a tentative 3 stars.

This album, along with Michel Colmbier's "Wings" , is one of the most important albums ever released by A & M , or anyone else, for that matter. An extreme personal favorite of mine, it is a landmark of Brazilian pop music. The band is tremendous (including Wayne Shorter), Milton sings like an angel, and his tunes are hauntingly beautiful. A desert island disk, to be sure.

This has become a favorite album of mine as well. The songs are good, the recording is good, and the musicians on this album are fantastic. This is worth getting just to hear Wayne Shorter's solos on "Fairy Tale Song" and "Nothing Will Be As It Was", plus Raul de Souza's trombone work on "Saídas e Bandeiras". Milton Nascimento has an incredible voice, and is a masterful songwriter. I remember when this first came out and read many reviews that hailed this as a landmark recording. Shorter did his own Brazilian release called Native Dancer, which is also worthy of picking up (it also features Milton as well). A solid album. 4 stars.

Capt. Bacardi

Big Production featuring Nascimento's Brasilian Stylings augmented by his own Bossa-Nova guitar and despite the "almost-overload" of Horns, Drums (and DRUMMING!) and Percusion, this is a very top-notch listen!

Milton & his Band Bang-Out, while still leaving room to breathe, if not absorb these tasteful and scenic compositions, all of which his ever-so-creative own...

Eye-and-Ear-popping confection to be sure...!

Dave

Not perfect - the English language lyrics are horrible - but there are so many fantastic musical moments on this album......one of his best by far.

It's grown on me with each listen... I went from "why is this guy on the CTi label" to, "ah, some good Brazilian voical jazz!"

--Mr Bill

I've never heard this album, but I do have the excellent cd of "Native Dancer".(Wayne Shorter & Milton Nascimento.) Milton has one of the best voices around, with a wide vocal range, and is an excellent composer. I watched a Brazilian documentary recently about the life of Elis Regina, and there is a segment where Milton says she was his muse, his inspiration for composing. I had the great pleasure of attending a live Milton Nascimento concert in Carnegie Hall N.Y.C. circa 1986. Milton's "Clube Da Esquina" is considered to be one of his finest albums. (Brazilian Recording -1972 roughly)

I agree with Rickster and gave this a "best" rating. It's essential for all the reasons stated,
JB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom