• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

🎵 AotW AOTW: Paul Winter - THE WINTER CONSORT (SP-4170)

How Would You Rate This Album?

• ***** (Best)

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 66.7%

Votes: 1 33.3%

• * (Worst)

• Never Heard This Album

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

Paul Winter
THE WINTER CONSORT

A&M SP-4170

sp4170.jpg

Released 1969

Format: Vinyl/Reel-to-Reel/8-Track

Produced by Paul Stookey

Songs:
  • 1. Allemande (Weiss) - 3:20
    2. Ballad In 7/8 (Hungarian Peasant Song) - 8:00
    3. Canta Canta Mais (Jobim/DeMoraes) - 4:26
    4. The Little Train Of The Caipira (Bachianas Brasileiras #2) (Villa-Lobos) - 2:32
    5. Koto Piece (Free Improvisation On A Koto Scale) (Winter/Scott/Bock/Murrow) - 4:15
    6. Both Sides Now (Joni Mitchell) - 3:05
    7. Choral Dorien (Alain) - 2:32
    8. Herresy (Herreshoff) - 4:08
    9. Spring (P. Winter) - 3:03
    10. Marilia (Bernhardt) - 5:30
    11. Forlorn Hope (Dowland) - 2:52
    12. Trotto (13th Century Italian Dance) - 1:44

Musicians:
Paul Winter - Sax Horn
Richard Bock - Cello
Karl Herreshoff - Baroque Lute, Classical Guitar, 12-String Guitar
Gene Murrow - English Horn
Virgil Scott - Alto Flute
Ruth Ben-Zvi - Darbuke, Bass Marimba
Gene Bertoncini - Guitar (2, 3, 6, 7, 10)
John Beal - Bass
Jose Cigno - Traps (4, 7, 10)
Leon Rix - Traps (1, 6, 9)
Jim Kappas - Traps (2)
Howard Vogel - Tambourine (12)

Recorded at A&R Studios, New York
Engineers: Donny Hahn, Dave Greene, Phil Ramone
Art Director: Tom Wilkes
Photography: Barry Feinstein
Poem by Charles Ives

Capt. Bacardi

I've seen this album pictured on the inner sleeves. I had no idea who Paul Winter was, so I figured it was some pop/rock singer. How does this album sound?

Seeing Paul Winter perform a few years ago inspired me to pick this one up again; it was a fairly easy find... I also bought his subsequent effort, Something In The Wind, which had a removable Decal Sticker stating Artist, Title, and of course the A&M SP#... The cover otherwise only sported the picture... Too bad I didn't have either of these albums for him to sign when I saw him...

As the Liner Notes state: "Why must a song always be A SONG???!!!" --In that the music is a bit of a Jazz/Renaissance/Classical/World Beat type of blend, in the sense that there is no particular structure, just a flowing melody and distant harmonics, of which "a song", or "songs" just seem to be in sort of a 'disguise'...

What New Age music is, in other words...

Dave

This is a rather unusual album, a precursor to what would be eventually called New Age. It's a mix of chamber, Brazilian, folk and just enough improvisation to consider it jazz. As suggested in the title, "Koto Piece" is completely improvised. I really loved the Brazilian rhythms on "Little Train Of The Caipira". One of the more pleasant pieces is Jobim's "Canta Canta Mais", which - with a little more work - could've made a nice pop tune. Some unique bass playing is evident on "Ballad in 7/8". I really didn't care much for "Both Sides Now" - it just doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the album. This album will require some effort to listen to, but there's enough to make it somewhat worthwhile. 3 stars.

Capt. Bacardi

"Canta Canta Mais" was performed when the Consort played in Knoxville TN a couple of years ago ... much to my delight.
JB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom