• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

AOTW: Pete Jolly - SEASONS (SP-3033)

How Would You Rate This Album?

• ***** (Best)

Votes: 1 16.7%

Votes: 4 66.7%

Votes: 1 16.7%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • * (Worst)

• Never Heard This Album

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

Pete Jolly
SEASONS

A&M SP-3033

sp3033.jpg

Released 1970

Format: Vinyl/8-Track/Reel-to-Reel

Produced by Herb Alpert

Songs:
  • 1. Leaves (Pete Jolly) - 1:44
    2. Younger Than Springtime (R. Rodgers/O. Hammerstein) - 2:14
    3. Bees (Pete Jolly) - 2:52
    4. Rainbows (Pete Jolly) - 1:15
    5. Plummer Park (Pete Jolly) - 4:15
    6. Springs (Pete Jolly) - 2:55
    7. Seasons (Roger Nichols) - 3:47
    8. Sand Storm (Pete Jolly) - 2:00
    9. Autumn Festival (Pete Jolly) - 3:10
    10. Prarie Road (Pete Jolly) - 2:50
    11. The Indian's Summer (Pete Jolly) - 3:38
    12. Pete Jolly (Pete Jolly) - 1:40

Musicians:
Pete Jolly - Piano, Accordion, Musette, Sano Vox, Hammond Organ
Chuck Berghofer - Bass
Paul Humphrey - Drums
John Pisano - Guitar
Milt Holland - Bass
Emil Richards - Drums, Percussion
Bill Holman - Brass Arrangements on "The Indian's Summer"

Art Direction - Roland Young
Design - Chuck Beeson
Front Cover and Portrait Photography - Jim McCrary
Back Cover Photography - David Muench
Snowflake Photography - Clyde H. Smith
Liner notes by Bob Garcia

Capt. Bacardi

A sensational and experimental package for the serious Pete Jolly collector--which appropriately follows-up his Live set at Donte's, Give A Damn and serves as a good epilogue to his first Modest Studio Album Approach, Herb Alpert Presents..., his A&M debut...

It was probably but One or Two times that I ever saw this LP in stores, (or maybe at a Record Trade Show) as it's usually his 1st or 2nd LP's that are "typical record store stock" so mine had to be Mail-Ordered, and thus gaining a W/L Radio Station Copy...

Such an effort like this, is similar to the "environmentalism" of Beaver & Kraus and in-comparison ranges from spectacular, to run-of-the-mill depending on your tastes...

But I found it very much in the Former Catagory with Pete right on-the-mark in making Mood Music just right for Every Time of year... Bill Holman's Brass Arrangement on one track also adds a nice touch...

The songs segue into one another,--sometimes abruptly and rampantly!--but still flow in one nice, neatly made package, which so far, no one could ever match...

'Cept for a Vince Guaraldi effort, of which the titles escapes me, containing the créme of L.A. Session help and Guaraldi even singing...!!

Dave

I really like this album. I thought it was a gutsy move to experiment with sounds instead of doing the cocktail jazz thing that Pete Jolly is more known for. In some cases, such as on "Bees", this sounds close to what Weather Report was doing in their early days. The song "Seasons" we all know became "A Song For Herb" from the TJB's You Smile - The Song Begins album. Not that this is a perfect album by any means. There are moments where things tend to be unfocused. But overall I like the feel of this album, and I like that they took a chance and experimented with free-flowing sounds. That's what I want a jazz musician to do - take a chance. 3 & 1/2 stars.

Capt. Bacardi

I love this "unconventional" Pete Jolly release. "Younger Than Springtime" haunts me. It's an "experimental" album, and well worth having. Herb Alpert is to be commended for giving artists the conditions to "stretch out" with their creativity. No J.Lo's at A&M thank God! Only real, pure talents.... :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom