• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

🎵 AotW AOTW: Quincy Jones - SOUNDS & STUFF LIKE THAT (SP-4685)

LPJim

Staff member
Quincy Jones
SOUNDS & STUFF LIKE THAT

A&M SP-4685

sp4685.jpg

I'm Gonna Miss You in the Morning
Love I Never Had it So Good
Love Me By Name
Stuff Like That
Superwoman (Where Were You When I Needed You)
Takin' it to the Streets
Tell Me a Bedtime Story

http://www.starpulse.com/Music/Jones,_Quincy/Discography/album/P6851/R10578/

Too much noodling into contemporary pop/modern R&B territory... Easy to see why this didn't qualify as Jazz after the meticulously promise of Quincy's Mellow Madness, making the brave impact combining the above genres, with a fiery fury but an able and artful finesse...

A disappointment for those who are even a fan of "Q's" soundtrack escapades, as this was coincidental with his work scoring Roots and THE WIZ... The force of fate finding Jones casting out in the day's trends, hoping this time offering a more renaissance of material, something big catches on...

Although the cover of The Doobie Brothers' "Takin It To The Streets" is kind'a nifty (and possibly the best track in the set) the rest of the LP is aimless (with Stevie Wonder's "Superwoman (Where Were You When I Needed You)", being the worst) and the plight of this directionless drivel would continue on the slightly better, but even more commercial hype of The Dude...

Dave

the slightly better, but even more commercial hype of The Dude
I thought THE DUDE was about a million times better than this, but then I'm a pop fan, not a jazz or hard-R&B fan. This album falls into the hard R&B category. If it had come out 20 years later it would've been a rap album, probably.

"Just Once" and "100 Ways" was all The Dude was really any good for... "Ai, No Corrida", rang of "another song I liked" that I was hoping was coming on & was disappointed that it wasn't...

The title cut & "Betcha' Wouldn't Hurt Me" were at least OK and Jean "Toots" Thielemanns makes at least one brief, grand appearance... But otherwise it went in a lot of too many directions of "Razamataz", if you will...

The excitement and animosity of The Dude's mostly pop pablum at least showed promise that an effort like Michael Jackson's Thriller was still somewhere on the horizon...

Dave

Back
Top Bottom