• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

🎵 AotW AOTW: Sandy Denny SANDY (A&M SP 4371)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
Sandy Denny
SANDY

A&M SP4371

sp4371.jpg

This is the second A&M solo album by Sandy Denny, formerly of Fairport Convention and Strawbs, born 1-6-41 and died 4-21-78. This set did not chart but has received much critical acclaim.

SIDE ONE
It'll Take a Long Time 5:11/ Sweet Rosemary 2:25/ For Nobody to Hear 4:10/ Tomorrow is a Long Time (Bob Dylan - Warner Bros. Music Inc. ASCAP) 3:51/ Quiet Joys of Brotherhood (Richard Farina - Ryerson Music Publishers Inc. BMI) 4:23.

SIDE TWO
Listen, Listen 3:56/ The Lady 3:57/ Bushes & Briars 3:49/ It Suits Me Well 5:05/ The Music Weaver 3:17.

All selections written by Sandy Denny - except as indicated - and published by U.F.O. Music Inc. BMI.

Sandy Denny - vocals, piano, acoustic guitars
Richard Thompson - guitars, mandolin
Pat Donaldson - bass
Timi Donald - drums
Dave Swarbrick - solo violin
Pete Kleinow - pedal steel
John Bundrick - organ, piano
Linda Peters - backing vocal

String arrangements by Harry Robinson/ Brass arrangement by Alle Toussaint/ Produced by Trevor Lucas/ Engineered by John Wood, Sound Techniques/ Photograph by David Bailey/ Traditional music of "Quiet Joys" arranged by Sandy Denny.

Available on CD as an import.

JB

Sandy Denny
SANDY
A&M SP-4371

Hearing Ms. Denny sing Bob Dylan's "Tomorrow Is A Long Time" is worth buying this for. I have versions by other artists, most notably Judy Collins and Glenn Yarbrough, too... Ah, but it can't compare to "Down In The Flood", which Sandy covered on her last LP, Northstar Grassman & Ravens and that Blood, Sweat & Tears shook some Jazzy, Blues-Rock from on their New Blood album...

Those interested in the works of the late-Richard Fariña (and the late-Mimi Fariña, formerly Mimi Baez, Joan's sister) "Quiet Joys of Brotherhood" is a good introduction, as is whatever versions of "Pack Up Your Sorrows" are out there. (Maybe it was done by Sandy? Fairport? Fotheringay?)

The Altec-Oddyssey A&M sampler, named for the manufacturer of the audio-speakers, used by A&M studios, gives you "Listen, Listen" (and a Fairport Convention number, I forgot the name of), while the remaining tunes, "It'll Take a Long Time", "Sweet Rosemary", "For Nobody to Hear", "The Lady", "Bushes & Briars", "It Suits Me Well", and "The Music Weaver" are very much reminiscent of Fairport and Fotheringay and show what Sandy Denny (outside of guest appearing on Led Zeppelin's "Battle Of Evermore") are all about...

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom