🎵 AotW AOTW: Supertramp INDELIBLY STAMPED (A&M SP 4311)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
Supertramp
INDELIBLY STAMPED

A&M SP 4311

sp4311.jpg

Renowned for its provocative cover art and as the first U.S. release for the band, INDELIBLY STAMPED was more energetic than its predecessor. SUPERTRAMP (SP 4274) was only released in the U.K and Canada and did not appear in the states until 1978.

SIDE ONE:
Your Poppa Don't Mind 2:58/ Travelled 4:15/* Rosie Had Everything Planned 2:58/ Remember 4:00/ Forever 5:05.

SIDE TWO:
Potter 2:23/ Coming Home to See You 4:39/ Times Have Changed 3:42/ Friend in Need 3:08/ Aries 7:25.

All songs written by Davies-Hodgson except *Hodgson-Farrell and all songs published by Dick James Music Inc. BMI
Recorded at Olympic Studios in March and April 1971
Special thanks to Engineer Bob Hall, Tape Operator Rufus Cartwright and to all our friends who have supported us while making the album.

Personnel:
Roger Hodgson - acoustic, lead and bass guitars
Frank Farrell - bass guitar, piano, accordion, harmony vocals
Rick Davies - keyboards, harmonica
Kevin Currie - percussion
Dave Winthrop - flutes, saxophones, vocals.

Produced by Supertramp for Pulsar Promotions Establishment

Reissued as SP/CD 3129

JB

I have this. The cover on mine is in full color, though.

I wonder if they got this idea from Sergio Mendes' FOOL ON THE HILL cover. "If he can do a vague thing on a back cover, let's put'em front and center and see what happens!"

My favorite song on the record is "Travelled." It has vague hints of the pop-ish Supertramp hits to come.

Supertramp was one of the first groups on A&M that I listened to and really appreciated. Though this was in its later years, on albums like BREAKFAST IN AMERICA and EVEN IN THE QUIETEST MOMENTS and with songs like "Give A Little Bit", "Take The Long Way Home", "Goodbye Stranger", "Logical Song", etc. Never actually owned an album, though; only bought '45's.

Having seen the old "classic" A&M albums in flea markets, as well as the inner sleeves, boasting the A&M in Large Print, I kind of sublimainally made the...er...connection of the label's former mission as a small "family label", later becoming one of the "big guys".

Peter Frampton came second and I actually bought his albums, that is on A&M, not the later ones on Atlantic.

Dave

...stating my first A&M Experience, online... :wink:

Mike Blakesley said:
I wonder if they got this idea from Sergio Mendes' FOOL ON THE HILL cover. "If he can do a vague thing on a back cover, let's put'em front and center and see what happens!"

I've long wondered whether this was the, um, mammalian pretuberances of a chubby, less-than-well-endowed woman or the jigglies of a hairless chubby male carnival employee... :wink:

--Mr Bill

I didn't know much about Supertramp until CRIME OF THE CENTURY began getting some FM Radio airplay in 1974. "Bloody Well Right" was probably the first cut I remember ever hearing, and the clear & crisp sound quality made an immediate impression.

I believe it was the success of EVEN IN THE QUIETEST MOMEMTS and single "Give a Little Bit in '77 that inspired A&M to reissue the first LP in the states. I didn't pick up or hear the current AOTW until BREAKFAST IN AMERICA came out - at which time I decided it would be a good idea to complete the collection.
JB

I had an appetite for Mobile Fidelity vinyl, and the Supertramp Crime Of The Century looked interesting. Then I got Breakfast in America when it came out. Ditto Paris, but that live album was so bad that I never bothered to buy any further Supertramp until I got the badly-edited Classics CD.

What a coincidence...I just came across a copy of Paris myself, SP-6702. Still, I don't regret it, considering I paid $1 for it and it has whet my appetite for more Supertramp. Are last year's remastered CDs any good? Ironic that this week's AOTW wasn't included in the series, at least in the U.S.

Seems like "Paris" was anticipated to be another "Frampton Comes Alive", which it was not, and I too (being a big Supertramp fan), find it a bad album. Almost unlistenable.
I saw Supertramp in Los Angeles during their "Crisis" tour (WHAT A GREAT ALBUM!) I cannot remember who opened that show. Anyone remember?

Arrrgh! Of all albums to have on the A&M Corner Home Page! I'm using the computer at my local PUBLIC LIBRARY right now. :sad:

My house and everything else got washed out by a backed up drain last night! :mad:

More on that, if anyone wants to know the rest... :cry:

Dave :baah:

Dave said:
Arrrgh! Of all albums to have on the A&M Corner Home Page! I'm using the computer at my local PUBLIC LIBRARY right now. :sad:

Don't worry -- I'm 99% sure it's a man's chest we're looking at on the cover of 4311!

Dave said:
More on that, if anyone wants to know the rest...

We'll pass... :wink:

--Mr Bill

Andrew T. said:
What a coincidence...I just came across a copy of Paris myself, SP-6702. Still, I don't regret it, considering I paid $1 for it and it has whet my appetite for more Supertramp. Are last year's remastered CDs any good? Ironic that this week's AOTW wasn't included in the series, at least in the U.S.

I'd be interested to know who did the remastering for the Supertramp discs. The latest trend is to no-noise and maximize the old albums and call them "remastered". "Butchered" is how I'd describe it. The standard CD of Breakfast in America sounds pretty good, and the Mobile Fidelity CD of Crime Of The Century probably is still the one to beat, since it has better sonics than A&M's original.

Supertramp on SACD would be nice...especially the two I mentioned. :)

1) Provocative LP covers: amazing how far things had evolved from the subtle FOOL ON THE HILL gatefold in 1968. HUMBLE PIE (SP 4270) had a cartoon drawing of an anatomically correct female by 1970 followed shortly by the current AOTW.

2) Dave's house flood: Assuming no one drowned or was injured, here comes the most pertinent question. Were any of your albums harmed?
JB
(firm believer in plastic covers for all items, online)

LPJim said:
1) Provocative LP covers: amazing how far things had evolved from the subtle FOOL ON THE HILL gatefold in 1968. HUMBLE PIE (SP 4270) had a cartoon drawing of an anatomically correct female by 1970 followed shortly by the current AOTW.

Wasn't there a FREE album that had one, too? A girl jumping up on a trampoline, shown from underneath? :nut:

LPJim said:
2) Dave's house flood: Assuming no one drowned or was injured, here comes the most pertinent question. Were any of your albums harmed?
JB
(firm believer in plastic covers for all items, online)

Uh, well... Luckily everything I listen to is in plastic sleeves, too. I've been making my own "two-fers" putting two albums in those cardboard jackets that 12" discs come in. I then put the back covers of the albums or front covers with portions of the back covers on the jackets with tape or glue, keeping the liner notes and musician/production credits intact.

Luckily only the remnants of these albums, which don't get taped or glued on (mostly front covers that aren't the BEST looking ones) are all that got damaged. There were covers (front & back) of albums that I no longer have the vinyl for, however, which got hit the worst--and thrown away, too. :sad: My CD's and '45's are at least on top of a dresser, which I could carry out in a couple trips.

So, NO, nothing got damaged that I listen to. I just wheeled away my metal rack that my albums get kept in and carried them upstairs to safety. No injuries or drownings, Thank God! (I just swam away from the area OK... :laugh: ) Just have to reset my stereo equipment somewhere else and relocate my furniture and stuff, till my room gets restored. :cry:

Dave

...glad that my collection, ISN'T so big, right now...

Glad things turned out mostly OK.

Yes, the cover for FREE (SP 4204) was of a nude female trampoline jumper photographed while in mid-air. The photographer was lying under the trampoline looking up, which explains the glare from the sun.
Tough assignment, but somebody had to do it.
JB

LPJim said:
Glad things turned out mostly OK.

Yeah, they did. :wink: But give me the chance to reissue everything in look-alike packaging on CD, with "lost tracks" and non-LP tracks, etc. added and... :winkgrin:

LPJim said:
Yes, the cover for FREE (SP 4204) was of a nude female trampoline jumper photographed while in mid-air. The photographer was lying under the trampoline looking up, which explains the glare from the sun.
Tough assignment, but somebody had to do it.
JB

Tee-Hee! :twitchy:

Dave :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom