• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

🎵 AotW AOTW: The Paris All-Stars - Homage To Charlie Parker

How Would You Rate This Album?

• ***** (Best)

Votes: 2 50.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• * (Worst)

• Never Heard This Album

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

The Paris All-Stars
HOMAGE TO CHARLIE PARKER

A&M CD-5300

sp5300.jpg

Released 1990

Format: CD/Vinyl/Cassette

Produced by John Snyder
Associate Producer: Brad Simon
Executive Producer: Steve Ralbovsky

Musicians:
Dizzy Gillespie - Trumpet
Max Roach - Drums
Stan Getz - Tenor Saxophone
Jackie McLean - Alto Saxophone
Phil Woods - Alto Saxophone
Milt Jackson - Vibraphone
Hank Jones - Piano
Percy Heath - Bass

Songs:
  • 1. Birks Works (Dizzy Gillespie) - 11:00
    2. Warm Valley (Duke Ellington) - 5:16
    3. Drummers' Sweet (Max Roach) - 6:22[list:a7efa0f75f]a) The Third Eye
    b) Billy The Kid
    c) The Drum Also Waltzes
4. Old Folks (Willard Robison/Dedette Hill) - 5:20
5. Yardbird Suite (Charlie Parker) - 6:34
6. Con Alma (Dizzy Gillespie) - 4:49
7. Cherokee (Ray Noble) - 8:41
8. Night In Tunisia (Dizzy Gillespie) - 14:41
9. Oo Pa Pa Da (Babs Gonzales) - 9:57[/list:u:a7efa0f75f]

Recorded June 15, 1989 at La Grande Halle - La Villette, Paris (multi-track digital).
Engineered by Philippe Hommes.
Mixed July 19, 1990 BMG Studios, New York City (Sony 1630).
Engineered by Joe Lopes and Jay Newland, assisted by Vince Caro.
Mastered July 20, 1990 BMG Studios (Sony 1630).
Engineered by Joe Lopes.

Special Thanks to Hubert Niogret.

Art Direction: Chuck Beeson with Ph.D
Design: Ph.D
Photography: Philippe Pierangeli/Teri Bloom

Liner notes by Mort Goode

Capt. Bacardi

You cannot go wrong with an ensemble of this caliber. This is 72+ minutes of jazz paradise & it's hard to pick a favorite track, although Dizzy's classic "Night in Tunesia" comes close.
The generous program length provides many opportunities for the band to stretch and improvise, which they manage to do without a dull moment.
Sure wish this was still in print; not too easy to locate these days.
JB

A companion Parker tribute,recorded the day before this concert, was available on the MusicMasters label as PARIS ALL STAR BLUES FEATURING JAY MCSHANN. While not quite the stellar lineup as the A&M release,this is a larger ensemble featuring Phil Woods,Clark Terry,Benny Carter,Mel Lewis, James Moody and others, arranged and conducted by Ernie Wilkins. John Snyder also produced this set. MusicMasters was the retail version of the Jazz Heritage Society mail order operation,and it is possible that this also appeared under the JHS banner but I believe MusicMasters no longer exists. The mail order operation,while having an interesting bunch of albums in its holdings (e.g.- the final recordings of the Mel Lewis Orchestra),their operation leaves a lot to be desired. Mac

Just noticed we've skipped one of the Modern Masters Jazz Series.
It's SP/CD 5286, Cecil Taylor IN FLORESCENCE, released in 1990.

I have a copy and can post trax if needed.

JB

LPJim said:
Just noticed we've skipped one of the Modern Masters Jazz Series. It's SP/CD 5286, Cecil Taylor IN FLORESCENCE, released in 1990.

Ooops! :oops: My bad. That's the only one I have on vinyl and I forgot to look at that catalog #. I'll make that one next week's AOTW.

Capt. Bacardi
...messin' up online... :oops:

Were these A&M jazz albums successful (as jazz albums go, I mean)? This is such an incredible lineup of musicians, and I'm ashamed to admit I've never heard of this album. I know the older CTI records and the Horizon stuff much better than these......

JTCW

None of this 1989-90 series sold particularly well although Sun Ra's BLUE DELIGHT got a Grammy nomination.
Many of these were among the artists' final works, particularly Ra, Art Blakey, Dizzy, and Cherry.
The historic value of these recordings can't be overemphasized.
JB

PS: 5260 and 5258 are the only ones I've got on vinyl; just have 5286 on CD.

I'm not sure how well they sold, but they did receive a lot of critical acclaim. Of course you can't pay your bills with critical acclaim. :D But that's the life of a jazz musician (which is why I have a day job!)

Capt. Bacardi

It would be easy to dismiss this release as one of those "old guys of jazz jamming together" releases. Granted, this probably is not the peak of each of these musicians. But this just works out quite well. Just listening to Stan Getz on his solo feature "Warm Valley" is worth the price of this CD alone. Everybody gets (or is that Getz? :D ) some solo room. Milt Jackson really shines on "Old Folks", Jackie McLean and Phil Woods go at it on "Birks Works". Max Roach is his stellar self throughout, and gets some solo time on his "Drummer's Sweet". Hank Jones shines on "Con Alma" and, of course, Dizzy gets it going on "Night In Tunisia" (along with everyone else) and the closer "Oo Pa Pa Da".

They may be a bunch of aging jazz veterans, but they still know how to get it done. Very highly recommended!

Capt. Bacardi

Captain Bacardi said:
LPJim said:
Just noticed we've skipped one of the Modern Masters Jazz Series. It's SP/CD 5286, Cecil Taylor IN FLORESCENCE, released in 1990.

Ooops! :oops: My bad. That's the only one I have on vinyl and I forgot to look at that catalog #. I'll make that one next week's AOTW.

Good -- it gives me a little time to get the image prepared to add (it's one I have, but not yet sized and stitched together)...

--Mr Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom