• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

🎵 AotW AOTW: Tom Scott - GREAT SCOTT! (SP-4330)

How Would You Rate This Album?

• ***** (Best)

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 50.0%

Votes: 1 25.0%

• * (Worst)

• Never Heard This Album

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

Tom Scott
GREAT SCOTT!

A&M SP-4330

sp4330.jpg

Released 1972

Format: Vinyl

Produced by Stephan Goldman

Songs:
  • 1. Lookin' Out For Number Seven (Tom Scott) - 4:10
    2. Woodstock (Joni Mitchell) - 5:58
    3. Mantra (Tom Scott) - 2:55
    4. Boss Walk (Tom Scott) - 3:03
    5. Liberation (Tom Scott) - 4:35
    6. Dahomey Dance (John Coltrane) - 4:06
    7. Visions Off The Highway (Tom Scott) - 4:56
    8. Malibu (Tom Scott) - 4:40

All arrangements by Tom Scott

Musicians:
Tom Scott - Tenor Sax, Baritone Sax, Flute, Clarinet, Soprano Recorder, E-flat Soprano Sax, Vocals (3)
Howard Roberts - Guitar (1, 4, 6, 7)
Larry Carlton - Guitar (2, 5, 8 )
Jerry Scheff - Bass (1, 4, 6, 7)
Chuck Domanico - Bass (2, 8 )
Ray Brown - Fender Bass (5)
Emil Richards - Percussion (1, 2, 4, 6, 7, 8 )
Victor Feldman - Percussion (5)
Mike Wofford - Piano, Clavinet, Fender Rhodes
John Guerin - Drums
Bud Shank - Flute (5)
Arthur Gleghorn - Flute and Piccolo (5)
Gene Cipriano - English Horn (5)
Pete Christlieb - Clarinet (5)
Don Christlieb - Bassoon (5)
Bill Hood - Bass Clarinet (5)
Roger Kellaway - Conductor (5)

Recorded at Poppi Studios, Hollywood
Engineer: Rik Edelson
"Liberation" recorded at A&M Studios
Engineer: Hank Cicalo
Re-mix Engineer: Tom Vicari
Mastering by Frank DeLuna

Art Direction: Roland Young
Album Design: Chuck Beeson
Portrait Photography: Jerry Czember
Neon Photography: Al Kramer
Deepest Appreciation to Herb Alpert

Capt. Bacardi

I used to have this on LP. I remember it had a die-cut cover, with the title and the artist name revealed from the inside through two square holes. When you opened up the cover, the picture of Scott was on the inside.

I remember not being all that blown away by the music, but not being a huge jazz-fan that's not surprising. (I had picked up the album due to seeing his name on Sergio Mendes albums.) Not sure what ever happened to my copy....I probably stuck it in some grab-bag we had when we got out of the LP business.

A few albums Scott recorded on the Ode label, Tom Scott & The L.A. Express, New York Connection and my favorite, Blow It Out are all I have owned...

There is a copy of this at one record store I frequent, which, upon seeing Tom doing vocals on one track, I think I should check out...

Not much of a Tom Scott fan, either, though I love one Gabor Szabo album he appears on (on which his producer, Bob Thiele, also seems to get an equal billing) Light My Fire, which features a number of duets between Tom and Gabor...

It is on the impulse! label, on which Scott recorded a couple of extremely hard-to-find albums: Rurual Still Life and one likely to be of particular interest to me, because of the inclusion of The California Deamers, a Background Vocal Singing Group, Honeysuckle Breeze...

I have also seen a few of albums Tom later recorded on producer Bob Thiele's Flying Dutchman label: Paint Your Wagon--A Jazz-Rock Excursion and Hair To Jazz--Funked-Up Jazz/Psych Versions of "pieces" from HAIR, which if not for the High-Dollar prices they were going for might'a actually bought... And there was also the more common Tom Scott in L.A., which was recorded Live, which I most frequently see...

Dave

When I first bought this album it wasn't the gatefold cover, it was a regular cover with the silver/tan label. I finally got a copy of the gatefold version with the ochre label.

As for the music, I like this quite a bit. I loved "Looking Out For Number Seven" (which is, of course, in 7/4 time), a romping piece that I thought was one of the better instrumentals released on A&M. Scott does an ethereal version of Joni Mitchell's "Woodstock", which reminds me of the music on those old "Billy Jack" movies. "Mantra" is all Tom Scott with many overdubs of vocals and flutes and recorders. "Liberation" is a light, airy jazz piece. One of the true highlights is the bluesy-rock take on Coltrane's "Dahomey Dance". All in all, a pretty good album. 4 stars.

Capt. Bacardi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom