• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Austin Record Convention Haul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

This weekend is the record show in Austin. I didn't attend any of the shows last year, so I took a vacation day today to go to the show. I didn't have a set list of things to look for, so I really had no intentions of getting very much. So much for that idea.... :oops:

Here's a list of things I bought today:

LPs

Roy Eldridge Sextet - The Nifty Cat Strikes West (MJR) - $5
Kenny Burrell - Man At Work (Cadet) - $5
Pete Fountain's New Orleans (Coral) - Autographed & Dated! - $5
Rob McConnell & the Boss Brass - Boss Brass & Woods (Impulse) - $5
Keith Jarrett - Solo Concerts Bremen Lausanne (Polydor) - 3 Lps $5!!!!
Clark Terry - The Happy Horns Of... (Impulse) - Autographed! $10
Freddie Hubbard - Live at the North Sea Jazz Fest (Pablo) $12 sealed (2 LPs)
Barry Zweig (guitarist on Herb Alpert's Midnight Sun) - Desert Vision (Jazz Chronicles) - $5 sealed (features a John Pisano tune)
Woody Herman - Hey! Heard The Herd? (Verve) - $5
Freddie Hubbard & Woody Shaw - Double Take (Blue Note) - $5
Noel Pointer - Phantazia (Blue Note) - $5 sealed
The Heath Brothers - Brothers & Others (Antilles) - $5
Scott Hamilton & Buddy Tate - Scott's Buddy (Concord) - $5
Steve Lacy - Soprano Sax (Prestige) - $5
Gerry Mulligan Quartet - What Is There To Say? (Columbia 6 Eye Label) - $5
Lanny Morgan - It's About Time (PAJ) - $5 (features Nick Ceroli)
Mingus Dynasty - Chair In The Sky (Elektra) - $5
Al Hirt and His New Orleans All Stars (Southland) - FREE!!! (This was free because I noticed the LP cover was not the same as the LP, so the vendor said he'd give it to me for free. Who am I to say no? :D )

All of the LPs look to be in great condition!

CDs

Weather Report - Weather Report (Columbia) - $10 sealed
Weather Report - Sweetnighter (Columbia) - $12 sealed
Weather Report - Tale Spinnin' (Columbia) - $8
The Beatles - 4 CD Japanese set - Meet The Beatles; The Early Beatles; Beatles '65; Beatles VI (Capitol) - $40 sealed

DVDs

Return To Forever - Romantic Warrior Tour 1976 - $10
Chicago - Video Rarities - In Memory Of Terry Kath - $40 2 DVDs (Disc 1 has performances in Paris, 1969; Tanglewood Festival, 1970; and in Chicago - 1972. Disc 2 has the two TV shows - "In The Rockies" with Al Green, 1973; and "Meanwhile Back At The Ranch" with Charlie Rich and Anne Murray, 1974.)

The show was not as packed as it has been in past years, perhaps a sign of the economic woes some are enduring. I did see some A&M things that I already had. For example, one vendor had just about the entire Horizon series on LP for about $5 each. I also saw sealed copies of the TJB's Ninth, Warm, the gatefold Greatest Hits and Greatest Hits, Volume 2, as well as a sealed copy of the Baja Marimba Band's Heads Up. There was a Japanese vendor who had mini EPs of a lot of Carpenters stuff, plus an EP of the Bossa Rio album.

There was also a lot of ridiculous prices on albums. For example, I saw a Sonny Rollins Way Out West LP that went for $165!!! I saw a lot of common jazz LPs that were going for at least $20 and much more. I didn't buy anything for at least a couple of hours so that I could stake out where the deals were. I was hoping to go through some 45s but hardly anybody had them in any kind of order, and my aching back can't take crawling around on a floor going though boxes anymore.

I guess it's time to order a pizza and start listening to some albums!

Capt. Bacardi

So I guess we won't be seeing many posts by the Captain for a couple of ... weeks?!

Happy listening/viewing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom