• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Ave Maria - without the choir

Status
Not open for further replies.

newvillefan

I Know My First Name Is Stephen
Hi all

The recent post about Sleep Well Little Children reminded me - I was listening to my copy of Christmas Portrait yesterday (bought it in Munich in 1995) and realised to my amazement I have the CD version that includes Ave Maria without the choir!!!

It was sooo bizarre to hear Karen singing this without the backing choir. The strings also seem louder, but maybe that's just because the choir isn't there covering them.

All the times I'd read about its existence somewhere on a CD release, and I didn't even realise I owned a copy!

Where else does this exist? It certainly isn't on any other Ave Maria I have on other CDs.

Stephen[/i]

Nowhere. That's it. The only CD release. Other than that, just the original LP.

Harry
NP: Christmas Portrait- Carpenters, German release

The original CHRISTMAS PORTRAIT cassette is still available and,believe it or not,sounds better than the Special Edition CD.I think A&M actually did a special mastering job for the cassette when it was issued on chrome tapes back in the 80's.I've held onto my tape player just to play CHRISTMAS PORTRAIT.(and Melissa Manchester's "Emergency",my only fav album that's never been issued on disc.)If anyone wants the original CHRISTMAS PORTRAIT,I would recommend getting the cassette,if you still have a tape deck.The sound quality really is that good!

You can find the AVE MARIA without the sappy choir only on the German release of CHRISTMAS PORTRAIT.

It's a shame, because this original version is much better.

Bruno
first snowfall in Bonn

Andrew-the cassette is still in print,so you can call any record store and order it.(a few stores should even have a copy in stock around this time of year.)

Incidentally,I would definitely like to get a copy of the German CD-does anyone know of a record store that special orders imports?

If I am not mistaken, the German "Christmas Portrait" of which you speak is A&M #394726-2 and it was released in Germany only in 1985. As far as I know, it is the only original master recording of "Christmas Portrait" on CD as the original master tape was partially destroyed in 1993 when it was sent to Japan for that years' intended release of the double "Christmas Collection" CD. I believe that Richard remixed and remastered the album for the 1996 release, so if you want the true and original "Christmas Portrait" on CD you have to find the German issue. They show up occassionally on eBay. I own two copies of the 1985 CD and treasure them.

Scott

Gosh the more I read about the rarity of the German Cd, the more I am thankful that I finally got a copy of the original German Christmas Portrait on CD.

Someone here asked can you special order it, I wouldn't think that is even possible, it's not like it's in print anymore, Didn't somone on here actually stumble upon this German Cd in a used record store in Germany? (talk about rare find)

And to finally hear that the reason the original version will never be released now is because it doesn't exist, so Richard was forced into remixing it. Do you think this is really true, is Richard saying this to pacify the fans or does the original master tape of Christmas Portrait not even exist anymore?

So this is why Christmas Portrait has never been released on CD. I had no idea that the original master had been destroyed. But if I remember correctly, I think that I read that Richard kept a back-up copy from the original masters at his house or somewhere safe. Couldn't Richard just use the back-ups?

Does anybody know how the original master was destroyed?

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
And to finally hear that the reason the original version will never be released now is because it doesn't exist, so Richard was forced into remixing it. Do you think this is really true, is Richard saying this to pacify the fans or does the original master tape of Christmas Portrait not even exist anymore?

Even if it's true that the original master tape was destroyed, that doesn't mean that the original album couldn't be released worldwide if Richard really wanted it to be. All it would take is a single copy of the German CD. The audio could easily be extracted and used to make a new two-track master.

Murray

Honestly, I think a damaged master tape is only an excuse for using the remixed version of CHRISTMAS PORTRAIT -- I think Richard feels that the remix improved the album, and has created the version that he feels is "finished."

Even if the original two-channel master and copies were destroyed, a new mix of the album could have been made (from the multi-track masters) that sounded exactly like the 1978 mix. Richard chose not to make a "new" version of the original mix; instead he chose to make adjustments and additions. Obviously he feels this is the definitive version of the album.

David

What year did the German Christmas Portrait go out of print :?:

Andrew
...debating whether to open the Singles 1969-1973 that is sealed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom