• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

B.J. Thomas & Billy Joe Royal

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
Two great vocalists of the late '60s and beyond played Friday night for an audience of around 1,500 at the Country Tonite Theater in Pigeon Forge, TN.

First was Billy Joe Royal, best known for "Down in the Boondocks." He did a 45-minute set that included some more recent country singles, demonstrating a voice that remains in top form and that he's no one-hit wonder.

Other hits included "Cherry Hill Park," "I Knew You When" and "Hush."
After a very brief intermission B. J. Thomas took the stage to perform "Rock and Roll Lullaby," "Hey Why Don't You Play Another Somebody Done Somebody Wrong Song," "Deep in the Eyes of a New York Woman," and - last but not least - "Raindrops Keep Fallin' From My Head."

Thomas had previously cancelled some appearances due to vocal problems, but like Royal, he was in great shape last night. The two sang duets on "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling" and "Don't Worry Baby."

After the hour and a half show nearly half the crowd stuck around to meet the artists at the front lobby merchandise table, where they signed autographs and did photo opps. It was great to add Thomas' autograph to Burt's on my BUTCH CASSIDY soundtrack album.

Country Tonite is the same theater that hosted the Jordannaires, D.J. Fontana, Millie Kirkham and other Elvis alum last September. They've had other fine shows by George Jones, Ronnie Milsap, Don Williams and other notables.

JB

One very cool thing about seeing artists of this era is, they are often willing to meet the fans after their shows. I saw an Alan Parsons show a few years ago and they had a very nice meet-and-greet afterwards.

I remember seeing BJ Thomas in Billings, MT just after his big "Raindrops" hit. It was an outdoor concert, a very good show.

I actually could've seen B.J. Thomas a year ago, in Feb., around the time I saw Bobby Goldsboro...

He was on a bill with a Doo-Wop/Oldies roster, which also included Darlene Love...

It was at some out-of-my-way venue in Downtown Detroit, which I happened to see while looking for something else, and didn't seem to have anyplace to park anywhere around it, so now I regret not going, even though there are a few other places where I can get to, which I hope Thomas someday DOES give a show at...

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom