BBC Interview 1993

newvillefan

I Know My First Name Is Stephen
I found this interview with Richard on YouTube which was recorded to commemorate the 10th anniversary of Karen's passing. I've never seen this before. Recorded for BBC Television and broadcast on February 5th, 1993, the day after the two hour BBC Radio 2 Special on her passing and not long before "The Untold Story" was published.

Thanks, Stephen.

God, I haven't seen that in years. Brings back memories. A few glaring errors, but nice, genuine little snippet.

Neil

I remember this well. I think I had the whole thing recorded on cassette at one point (just about squeezed it on to a C120!).

It was a good and thorough interview at the time, albeit that some points have been superseded or contradicted by later details that have since emerged. I do recall Richard describing 'Sing' as 'the Munchkin song' in this!

I remember this well. I think I had the whole thing recorded on cassette at one point (just about squeezed it on to a C120!).

I had the whole thing on a C120 cassette as well! I remember really clearly recording this show in my university bedroom with the aerial extended to full (and out the window!) to reduce any risk of static or interference. I listened to this documentary so many times during my university years that I could actually recite the entire two hours from memory and in 1995 transcribed it word for word and sent it in ten "episodes" to a guy called Rocky who ran a (Japanese?) fan website, where he uploaded them. Very happy memories. I'm so pleased this has surfaced again because I've looked for it for years. Let's hope the second hour shows up soon.

I had the whole thing on a C120 cassette as well! I remember really clearly recording this show in my university bedroom with the aerial extended to full (and out the window!) to reduce any risk of static or interference. I listened to this documentary so many times during my university years that I could actually recite the entire two hours from memory and in 1995 transcribed it word for word and sent it in ten "episodes" to a guy called Rocky who ran a (Japanese?) fan website, where he uploaded them. Very happy memories. I'm so pleased this has surfaced again because I've looked for it for years. Let's hope the second hour shows up soon.

Ha ha, different times! The lengths you had to go to back then...

I'm sure I must have listened to it many times over too back then, as I can still recall various chunks of it and it must be many many years since I last heard it. It was all broadcast on one night wasn't it rather than over split over two nights? I know Radio 2 were always big champions of the Carpenters' music, but two hours was a big slot to give to one artist in one evening.

It was all broadcast on one night wasn't it rather than over split over two nights? I know Radio 2 were always big champions of the Carpenters' music, but two hours was a big slot to give to one artist in one evening.

Yes it was a straight two hour show. I was poised ready to stop the tape at the top of the first hour when they did the news headlines so I could switch the tape over and hit record again in time :laugh:

EDIT: Just tried the link to this after a long day travelling...it’s blocked in the UK on copyright grounds :cry:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom