• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Beat of the Brass mono stock copies

Status
Not open for further replies.

luv8tracks

Hi,
Wanted to know if many stock copies in mono were pressed of this lp. I just found one in mint condition and the mixes are different from the stereo counterpart. Also, is this the last A&M stock mono lp released.
Phil

luv8tracks said:
Hi,
Wanted to know if many stock copies in mono were pressed of this lp. I just found one in mint condition and the mixes are different from the stereo counterpart. Also, is this the last A&M stock mono lp released.
It may have been one of the last A&M stock mono LP's; I read somewhere that a Chris Montez LP was issued with catalogue number LP-157/SP-4157.

luv8tracks said:
Ah,
But has one ever been seen. Do you know which Chris Montez lp it was?

4157 was Montez's Watch What Happens. The last mono album that I have listed in LP 146, The Beat Of The Brass. There were some promo albums that had a "For AM Radio Play Only" sticker on it. I have a copy of You Smile - The Song Begins with that on it.

Capt. Bacardi

Yes I thought it was the beat of the brass. By the way it is a different master than the stereo lp. The songs are different by that I mean the mixes.
Phil

BEAT OF THE BRASS in mono has a logo in the upper right corner of the front cover which says "LP 146."
Afterwards, the only mono LPs were white label promos. The jackets are identical to the stereo stock versions, but there's usually a white "Monaural" sticker pasted on. Here are some I've found:

LP 147 Sandpipers SOFTLY
LP 148 Phil Ochs TAPE FROM CA.
LPX 160 Brasil '66 FOOL
LP 166 TJB CHRISTMAS
MP 4359 Lani Hall SUNDOWN LADY

A&M continued to press mono/stereo same-song 45s until 1975. The latest mono LP I've seen was MP 4395 Gino Vannelli CRAZY LIFE.
JB

luv8tracks said:
Hi,
Phil

What are some of the differences in the mixes? I didn't even know this album was available in mono.

Dan

Hi,
The differences in the mixes are variations in the instrumentation. Monday Monday does not suffer from the drop out in the beginning and fades differently. Talk to the animals is arranged slightly different. And the song times on some are shorter.
Phil

Interesting. All the stereo versions of "Monday Monday" have the dropouts at the beginning. That would lead me to believe the 3-track master may still be OK.

I do know one thing--mono TJB copies proliferate like horny jackrabbits around this area. :laugh: Next time I hit a few of my favorite haunts, I'm going to start looking for some clean ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom