Behind The Rain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brasil_Nut

Staff member
Nothing astounding to report, really. It's just that I listened to RISE this afternoon in the car. I was so struck with "Behind The Rain," that I played it over and over again. What a 'feel good' song! This was definitely a new start for Herb. The beginning of a new era, a new direction, a new sound.

MAGIC MAN was just as sensational (IMHO).

As a matter of fact, I remember the day I bought the album. I was visiting friends in St. Pete, Florida. We went to the mall, I saw MAGIC MAN on the shelf, bought it and headed home. The mall was surrounded by a downward-angled berm over which, in a moment of 'Skinner' clumsiness, I managed to fall head-over-heels...the album went flying into the street. A car drove right over the top if it!

We took the damaged record back to the store. The manager took one look at my bleeding knee, my ripped shorts, the grass stains on my shirt and said, "No one could be so stupid as to make up something like this...I'll replace the album for you!" :oops:

Always an adventure!

Jon

I have been listening to Rise here on one of A&M's half-speed mastered "Audiophile" pressings...very nice. :) I'd say that side 1 is my favorite. :agree:

I didn't realize it at the time, but a few years ago, I started listening to Bill Withers quite a bit. Never realized that "Love Is" was a Withers song, but now it really stands out. Herb even sings it in the same type of baritone that Withers sings in. :)

I remember the first time I heard Herb's version of "Behind The Rain", and was blown away when the guitar solo started. I was thinking "Wow, rock-n-roll Herb Alpert?" I had been used to Gato Barbieri's version from a couple of years earlier. But it's a great song. The entire first side of Rise just seems to go together well.

Capt. Bacardi

I've heard Gato's version of "Behind The Rain," but still like Herb's better. I was a fan of Gato up until I attended one of his concerts. To say it was 'shrill' is putting it mildly...my ears rang for days! Unfortunately, since that fateful concert, I can only take Gato in small doses. :rolleyes:

Jon

Sanborn's concerts were ear-bleedingly bad. If I'd heard him at an outdoor venue it would have been much better. One was indoors at Hill Auditorium, which is more of an all-plaster recital hall (very bright, acoustically, and his engineers had the sound EQed to be even brighter), and another was the semi-outdoors Chene Park, which is shaped like a giant clamshell. Sanborn's inept engineers had no clue how to overcome Chene Park's six second reverb, other than to turn the volume up louder and louder. It was muddy to the point of being unable to make out what songs he was even playing.

I think Gato and Mendes were scheduled to appear here a few years ago, but I remember tickets being $400. Puhleeze! Nobody's worth that. Mendes cancelled...probably due to lack of ticket sales.

Rudy said:
I think Gato and Mendes were scheduled to appear here a few years ago, but I remember tickets being $400. Puhleeze! Nobody's worth that. Mendes cancelled...probably due to lack of ticket sales.

When I saw Herb in Indy in '84, the best seats were only 25 bucks apiece. It was outside, but for 50 bucks my date and I saw a great show. She probably doesn't remember it...she spent nearly that much on Margaritas... :rolleyes:

Dan

We saw him at the Concord Pavillion in '84. Our seats were about ten rows from the stage, under the awning. It was raining that night, and people beyond the awning (in the grass section) began to fill the aisles, within the covered area. An announcement was made between sets (Brasil '88 opened the show) that the aisles needed to remain clear. I recall feeling sorry for those poor, soaked people.

Jon

brasil_nut said:
We saw him at the Concord Pavillion in '84. Our seats were about ten rows from the stage, under the awning. It was raining that night, and people beyond the awning (in the grass section) began to fill the aisles, within the covered area. An announcement was made between sets (Brasil '88 opened the show) that the aisles needed to remain clear. I recall feeling sorry for those poor, soaked people.

So then, bringing this thread full circle in short notice, you were sitting "in front of the rain", not "Behind The Rain".

Harry
...recalling the ancient "backside of water" joke on the Jungle Cruise in the Magic Kingdom, online...

Harry said:
...So then, bringing this thread full circle in short notice, you were sitting "in front of the rain", not "Behind The Rain"...

Exactly! :wink:

Harry said:
...recalling the ancient "backside of water" joke on the Jungle Cruise in the Magic Kingdom, online...

Okay, fellow Disneyphile! Good old Schweitzer Falls!! One of Walt's favorite landscaping projects to come out of his Magic Kindgoms.

Jon

...staying high and dry...

Thanks to Detroit's standard practice of having poor promotion, I never would have known he was touring in '84. Which I didn't...so I have no idea if he brought the TJB to Detroit or not.

That sucks, Neil. I know that one of Gracinha's greatest concerns is the lack of regional promotion for Sergio concerts. "So often, people don't know when or where he's performing," she says. It's a real shame.

However, it's interesting to note that he always fills whatever venue he plays...go figure.

Jon

He's at least visiting areas that have a lot more "culture". It still amazes me that I could go to L.A. and see even well-known jazz artists at clubs on a regular basis. Here? Anyone "major" would have to be on a tour. Mainly local acts here, and there are few, if any, venues for them to play in that aren't expensive theaters down in the bowels of Detroit. I wonder if a smaller jazz club like Bird of Paradise (Ann Arbor, MI) would book someone like Sergio?

Short of the fact that New York's Blue Note is a famous club, it's very small in comparison to those Sergio has played here in the San Francisco Bay Area. Bimbo's, although not nearly as famous as the Blue Note, is a good-sized club that's not too big -- just big enough to pull in a decent crowd.

It's true what you say about Los Angeles and the jazz scene. You can catch some incredible acts in the smallest of clubs. Then again, we're blessed with the same thing in the Bay Area. San Francisco, San Jose and San Mateo have some senstional venues -- small clubs that pull in big name talent.

Jon

When I was in L.A. many years ago, we had a chance to see Kevin Eubanks playing at a local club. Unfortunately, couldn't get a sitter lined up.

The problem here is that "name" talent gets latched onto by the greedy promoters, and then you have the outrageous ticket prices. I really wonder how much of a $400 Mendes ticket would have actually gone into his pocket. My guess: not much!

$400 sounds like an incredible amount of money for Sergio Mendes tickets, of which I've paid $100 at the most -- Las Vegas a couple of years ago. It was $50 a ticket, last minute seating. Regular tickets went for around $35 if bought in advance.

Sergio commands a great deal of money for his appearances, everything being top-notch in the way of accommodations, transportation and catering. For his September 15th performance at Flint Center (four days following the September 11th attacks), he and the band arrived in a tour bus, his attitude being, "The show must go on...we all need a little music right now..." Truly admirable.

Jon

i wonder if those $400 tickets were supposed to be "$40" and some poor keyboardist somewhere screwed up, costing the cancellation of the show? :)

I guess it's possible.

On topic, I like "Behind the Rain" too but not as much as "Beyond." (It ranks right alongside my other favorite "post-TJB" Herb song, "Bullish.")

Mike Blakesley said:
I wonder if those $400 tickets were supposed to be "$40" and some poor keyboardist somewhere screwed up, costing the cancellation of the show?

I'd hate to be the keyboardist to make such a typo! :shock:

Mike Blakesley said:
On topic, I like "Behind the Rain" too but not as much as "Beyond." (It ranks right alongside my other favorite "post-TJB" Herb song, "Bullish.")

"Beyond" is great, I agree. There's a couple of post-TJB tunes I can't stomach, such as "Rotation" (either version) and "The Factory" -- both of which seem to be 'fillers' when compared to the rest of the albums themselves.

Jon

Southwest Jon said:
"Beyond" is great, I agree. There's a couple of post-TJB tunes I can't stomach, such as "Rotation" (either version) and "The Factory" -- both of which seem to be 'fillers' when compared to the rest of the albums themselves.

Oooh, Jon! I have to disagree there! While "Rotation" was a surprise choice as the follow-up single to "Rise" (so some agreement there) I found "The Factory" to be my second favorite cut off Herb's follow-up LP. Heck I even used it as the theme to an unfinished horror-comedy I started at the time called It Lived. Giving Peter Frampton guitar solo credits on it seems to me to be the only thing wrong. He plays what, six notes? One can't help but think it was a way to fulfill some contractual obligation as he soon left A&M for not-much-greener pastures.

Beyond, while enjoyable, was a bit of a disappointment after Rise for my ears. Magic Man was an even bigger disappointment despite wonderful reworkings of "You Smile -- The Song Begins" and "Besame Mucho." Fortunately Fandango really delivered and I'd have to say it's tough to decide what my favorite post post-TJB album is: HA/HM, Rise or Fandango...

--Mr Bill

I also have to disagree about "Rotation" and "The Factory". Fillers? I think not! "Rotation" has this hypnotic quality to it that really drew me in, and Herb's solo at the end was hot! It was the perfect ending for side 2 of Rise. As for "The Factory", while there wasn't much as far as melody goes (it's basically a chant), the rhythm section was mesmerizing and Peter Frampton's guitar on top of everything was a thrill to hear.

These two tunes - among others - were the type that kept my interest in Herb Alpert alive, the fact that he kept stretching musically. Had he done "Tijuana Taxi" a zillion more times I probably would've lost interest.

Capt. Bacardi

Sorry guys! When it comes to Herb, I prefer something with a melody...not just a 'thump' here and a 'toot' there. I recall being in a club when the DJ played "Rotation" once. Everyone left the floor. No one knew quite what to make of it. Not to say that it's not a good song -- it is. It's just not my favorite song on the albums.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom