Benny Carter 1907-2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimac51

Benny Carter died Saturday at 95 years young. Composer,arranger,alto sax player-Benny was leading bands-leading them-almost 75 years ago. Quincy Jones is quoted in the AP obit-"A big,big person walked out of the room yesterday. A true human being." Here is a guy who wrote for Benny Goodman,Duke Ellington,Count Basie and Dizzy Gillespie-and that is only a fraction of his output. I think he was one of those guys the jazz fan took for granted that his work would always be excellent-a musician's musician because only a musician knew just how hard it was to keep up such a high level and do it for generations. "Big person",indeed! Mac

Benny Carter was one of those guys that you would think would live forever. While he usually gets accolades for his sax playing and arranging skills, he also could play a pretty trumpet. I have one of those Montreaux albums that Pablo Records released in the 70's, and Benny did a beautiful version of "Body And Soul" on trumpet. He wasn't all that technical on it, but that sound he had was gorgeous. Truly a sad day in the jazz world.

Capt. Bacardi

Benny was truly a jazz great. Here in NJ he was honored with 2 doctorates, one from Princeton in 1974 and another from Rutgers in 1991! He was known far and wide for his composing and arranging genius. He even wrote some TV themes for "Ironsides" and "It Takes a Thief" among others. He did a collaborative album with one of my favorites, Marian McPartland, entitled "Marian McPartland Plays the Benny Carter Songbook". It's a Concord Jazz album, copyright 1990. It's ALL Benny's music. If people are interested, I'll post a track list.

He will be very much missed.

Marilyn, who hopes this rash of deaths stops SOON!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom