• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Best Jazz On A&M

Who Was Your Favorite A&M Jazz Artist?

• George Benson

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Wes Montgomery

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • Gerry Mulligan

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Herbie Mann

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chuck Mangione

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Les McCann

• Paul Desmond

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Gato Barbieri

• Thad Jones & Mel Lewis

• Sonny Fortune

• Dave Liebman

• Gerry Niewood

• Dave Brubeck

• Charlie Haden

• Jimmy Owens

• Roger Kellaway

• Pete Jolly

• Jim Hall

• Don Cherry

• Dizzy Gillespie & Max Roach

• Tom Scott

• Nat Adderley

• Antonio Carlos Jobim

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • Quincy Jones

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Gap Mangione

• Paul Winter

• Charles Lloyd

• Tamba 4

• Neil Larsen

• Billy Hart

• Stan Getz

• Eduardo Del Barrio

• Art Blakey

• Sun Ra

• Vernell Brown, Jr.

• Paulinho Da Costa

• Gil Evans

• Chet Baker

• Ornette Coleman

• Ira Sullivan

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

While A&M wasn't known for a large jazz catalog, they did put out some quality jazz albums, some of which were critically acclaimed. So list what you think was the best of the jazz albums on A&M.

Capt. Bacardi

As for the poll, I chose Gerry Mulligan since his Age Of Steam album is one of my all-time favorite albums of any genre. Lonesome Boulevard was also good, but it pales in comparison.

Aside from Age Of Steam, some of my other A&M faves include:

Pete Jolly - Seasons - I thought this album was a bit ahead of its time. It even reminds me of an early Weather Report album.

Mel Lewis - Mel Lewis & Friends - Just a good, straight-ahead bop session. Freddie Hubbard was on his game on this, as was Michael Brecker.

Thad Jones & Mel Lewis - Suite For Pops - Not the best effort for these two, but I remember being blown a way by a couple of tracks on this album when it first came out. It also introduced me to Jon Faddis and his stratospheric trumpet, especially on the closing track, "A Good Time Was Had By All".

Chuck Mangione - Main Squeeze - His last good album before selling out. Chase The Clouds Away is a close second, but this album had some good solos by Mangione, and a killer rhythm section.

Charlie Haden - Closeness - A rather innovative album, worth getting just to hear the duet with Keith Jarrett on "Mary Ellen".

Gerry Niewood - Timepiece - A nice, light and airy album, with Niewood playing some nifty sax and flute.

Gato Barbieri - Caliente! - Just a solid contemporary jazz set, produced by Herb Alpert and known for the ever-popular "Europa". But tunes as "Fiesta" and "Behind The Rain" are also good listening.

K & JJ - Israel - Not their best work overall, but this is a pretty solid album, especially the title tune. Besides, all trombone albums rock! :D

Neil Larsen - High Gear - Just a solid fusion set with Steve Gadd on drums and Michael Brecker on sax.

Sonny Fortune - Awakening - An underrated album IMHO. Just some solid playing.

Capt. Bacardi

Though not familiar with all of your selections,the ones that I'm familiar with are favorites of mine,too. The Mulligan AOS,the Jolly SEASONS,the Lewis Quartet-these are played frequently. All of Paul Desmond's A&Ms have all have their moments of brilliance-I listen to this era of Paul's work more than his work with Brubeck, the RCA solos, or the post A&M CTI era. Also,though originally an Artists House release,the Thad/Mel Quartet is no slouch either and has additonal material. Being such a fan of the Jones/Lewis band,I must disqualify myself-I love them all-warts and all. You know,Verve's decision to release the Kellaway Quartet album on CD in a few weeks is a nice surprise but Mulligan,Jones,Lewis,Haden-these deserve an audience for today wether or not they have seen previous CD release. I see that Dr. John's A&Ms are coming out-once again,no argument from me,but there are REAL treasures that need dusting off. Mac

DESMOND!! :cat: DEFINITELY!!!:cool:

Who else encompased every cliche of Straight Jazz on his debut, SUMMERTIME--while also covering a Beatles' tune and a movie soundtrack tune Frank Sinatra did and Hugo Montenegro would later cover, while converting a Southern New Orleans-Based Composition, "Struttin' With Barbecue" to a more Latin "Samba With Barbecue", to say the least?!

And also made a "Straight Brasilian" LP, FROM THE HOT AFTERNOON--in the manner Walter Wanderley and Antonio Carlos Jobim were doing with A&M with all the grace and ease and ROOTAGE of Milton Nascimento, the authenticity and inspiration of Sergio Mendes, the 'Pure Jazz Idioms + Samba' of Walter Wanderley and with the depth and experimentation of Tamba 4, while making himself a name ALMOST associated with The Bossa Nova, like Jobim!

While those two were done on A&M/CTi, he did an All-Paul Simon Covers LP, for the Non-CTi A&M Jazz Series with BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATER--putting the title song last, (as opposed to S&G using it as the opening track) and making it sound good, whereas the opening track was "El Condor Pasa (If I Could)", the SECOND track on S&G's BRIDGE. "America" is very majestically done...with some FANFARE inserted in the song's coda for a real Dramatic Effect! "Mrs. Robinson" and "Cecilia" are some good, fast moving tracks that are fun to hear. And "So Long, Frank Lloyd Wright", as well as "Old Friends/Bookends" are good examples of delicate balladry done The Desmond Way!

His final LP, was a Double-Live set, I unfortunately no longer have, and I forgot the name of. But it shows a good portrait of his ever-inspiring showmanship and on-stage improvasitional prowess there, too.

Dave

jimac51 said:
Also, though originally an Artists House release, the Thad/Mel Quartet is no slouch either and has additonal material.

That is a good one. I finally scored the CD of that at the last record show. Thad is an underrated trumpeter/cornetist himself. I have an older recording of his called Mad Thad that has some good moments.

Capt. Bacardi

...doesn't Alpert qulify as a jazz artist (Coney Island, Masekelax2, Spanish Moon, Abstract, Midnight Sun, Second Wind, Passion Dance)?!

I like Neil Larsen's albums but I'm not sure I'd classify them as jazz!

Stephen

Stephen Vakil said:
...doesn't Alpert qulify as a jazz artist (Coney Island, Masekelax2, Spanish Moon, Abstract, Midnight Sun, Second Wind, Passion Dance)?!

I purposely left Alpert off the list since he really covers several genres of music, and he himself is hesitant about calling himself a jazz musician. Besides, we talk plenty enough about his work and I think there are other artists who are more true to jazz that deserve some discussion.

Capt. Bacardi

What? No David Spinozza? He did one solo LP, Spinozza* but I guess to a jazz purist it would probably be considered jazz-rock fusion...

--Mr Bill
who voted for Gap Mangione because he didn't want to see brother Chuck get all the glory...

Mr Bill said:
What? No David Spinozza? He did one solo LP, Spinozza* but I guess to a jazz purist it would probably be considered jazz-rock fusion...

--Mr Bill
who voted for Gap Mangione because he didn't want to see brother Chuck get all the glory...

Hey, Spinozza's My Man!! :thumbsup: I still have his Solo LP! I didn't see him in the poll; could have read it more thoroughly! :cat:

I have him on the Paul Williams albums and that's him on the Wayne Berry '45' and of course, he played on that obscure Jim Carroll LP. I have him on David Batteau's HAPPY IN HOLLYWOOD--and the Steve Marriott album he drove over from A&M on La Brea to The Record Plant on 3rd Street to play the lead guitar on. :agree:

And yes, the stuff he did in New York, including SPINOZZA* is good, too!:cool:

Dave

...who likes Chuck & Gap Mangione enough that there was a "tie" in which to vote for, too... :wink:

Mr Bill said:

I was tempted to include him, but I think of him as a jack-of-all-trades kind of guitarist, and his album wasn't really jazz - although I liked it a lot. But there can be an argument either way.

Mr Bill said:
...who voted for Gap Mangione because he didn't want to see brother Chuck get all the glory...

Ahhh, so you're the one who voted for him :D I was wondering who would vote for Gap, if anybody. Can't say much for his albums, though... :confused:

Capt. Bacardi

A&M sure had a great represenation in the jazz department, so while this was a tough choice I voted for Gerry Mulligan on the strength of both AGE OF STEAM and LONESOME BLVD.

The reference to Artists House reminded me of an omission from the list. Pianist Gil Evans' WHERE FLAMINGOS FLY (CD 0831) was released on that label in 1981 prior to the 1989 A&M reissue. There are some fine haunting moments on this unusual work.

I also did not spot the late Art Blakey or Sun Ra on this list, but it's probably because it's time for new glasses.
JB

LPJim said:
Pianist Gil Evans' WHERE FLAMINGOS FLY (CD 0831) was released on that label in 1981 prior to the 1989 A&M reissue. There are some fine haunting moments on this unusual work.

I also did not spot the late Art Blakey or Sun Ra on this list, but it's probably because it's time for new glasses.
JB

No, you don't need Coke bottles yet! :D I totally forgot about the these guys. I also added a few more that I should have known, like Stan Getz. Doh! :confused:

Capt. Bacardi

Captain Bacardi said:
Mr Bill said:

I was tempted to include him, but I think of him as a jack-of-all-trades kind of guitarist, and his album wasn't really jazz - although I liked it a lot. But there can be an argument either way.Capt. Bacardi

Well, most "Jack-Of-All-Trades" Guitarists do come on as Jazz Guitarists, or given that their LP's are mostly All-Instrumental, that's where the record stores put their stuff.

John Tropea's LP's on Marlin and Larry Carlton's LP's are that way.

Back to A&M Jazz Artists, though, I think Wes Montgomery comes second to Paul Desmond.

Hard to pick which of the three he made, (or four, counting GREATEST HITS--either on vinyl, or the repackaged CD with add'l tracks) would be my fave. They were ALL great! And sadly, this was where Montgomery's career ended, but the ending was, well...good, I should say. :sad:

Dave

Well, my most played non-CTi jazz LPs are the two by HErb & Hugh session players Manolo Badrena and Arthur Adams. Technicall I guess you could call Badrena's LP "latin percussion" and Adams's "Blues"...

-Mr Bill

A little on the David Spinozza solo album-While it doesn't make my cut as an indespensible album,it is quite listenable and is as much a jazz album as anything by Montgomery or Benson. But the scene stealer for me is not Spinozza-sure enough, he comes off as the polished chameleon he isnice ,but so what?-the scene stealer is Mike Mainieri-as co-producer,co-arranger,writer on a pair of tunes,and his actual musical talent,especially his mallet work on the last two tracks. Mike Mainieri would later start the fusionesque Steps Ahead and found NYC Records. Mac

jimac51 said:
...A little on the David Spinozza solo album: While it doesn't make my cut as an indespensible album, it is quite listenable and is as much a Jazz album as anything by Montgomery or Benson... ...But the scene stealer for me is Mike Mainieri... Mac

I agree. The album is Mainieri's, too, at times. Warren Bernhardt contributes good keyboard work and Anthony Jackson plugs in a good bass. My favorite moment is Eric Weisberg contributing a banjo & pedal steel on "Country Bumpkin". Which used to be played in the background of a NYC's radio broadcast of A&P SUPERMARKET SPECIALS.

When George Benson made albums where he started singing, I thought his guitar playing was less and less heard, myself. In fact, he hired other guitarists to support him--ie. Lee Riteneour on "Give Me The Night"; Jay Graydon on "Turn Your Love Around", which I thought he also co-wrote.

Dave

I've been out of town for a few days and just saw this bit about Spinozza. I had to listen to this album again and I now know why I didn't consider this much as a jazz set. The first side pretty much bored me - it just wasn't my cup of tea and I usually remove the LP from my turntable after this side plays. But now I've listened to side 2 and see where you guys are coming from. Much livelier and obviously jazzier than the first side. And Mainieri does indeed contribute some nice mallet work on the last two songs.

Capt. Bacardi
...standing corrected online... :wink:

I voted for Chuck Mangione. My fav albums of his are Chase The Clouds Away, and Feels So Good. The latter is one of the most relaxing albums I have ever heard. When I have trouble getting to sleep at night, I either play Feels So Good, or Mozart's Eine Kleine Nachtmusik. More effective than Valium, and safer too! :D

Murray
...NP Chuck Mangione, Maui Waui...... ZZZZZZZZZZ

I was torn between three artists: Desmond, Jobim and Tamba 4. Desmond won out in the end, based on the fact that I listened to him more than anyone else, I guess. His arrangements are top-notch, everything well balanced, with just enough rhythm without going over the top. Besides, I've always admired the mellow tone of his music. Yeah, it's Desmond all the way for this Nut! :wink:

Jon

I cast my vote for Pete Jolly. While most renowned for his electric piano work on “This Guy’s In Love”, it’s nothing compared to his performances on his own LP’s. His renditions of “The Look Of Love” and “What The World Needs Now” on the A&M album “Pete Jolly - Give A Damn” are my favorites. As a Jazz pianist, I’d rate him up in the same class as Andre Previn and Oscar Peterson.

I love Desmond, Jobim, Wes, Wanderley,Mann, Benson, Tamba 4, but here I'm going along with Mike in Japan, it's the late great Pete Jolly on the Ivories. He was a top flight Jazz pianist.

You should check out some of Jolly's other albums on RCA and smaller labels. Also, his gig with the Lighthouse All-Stars is worth finding. A true class act.

Capt. Bacardi

I'd say the best jazz on A&M comes from Wes Montgomery, Chuck Mangione, Dave Brubeck, and Paul Desmond. Mainly because some of their best albums were on A&M. Though mostly all of the artists mentioned are great, a lot of them don't really have any essential recordings done for A&M, imo.

I gave my vote to Quincy Jones because I like most of his A&M albums -- but I'm much more of a pop fan than a jazz fan. ("THE DUDE" being my fave album of his.)

I've heard several of the Wes Montgomerys, Pete Jolly's GIVE A DAMN, several of Chuck Mangione's, and a couple Tamba 4. I've heard a few George Benson, but mostly after he went to Warner Bros where I guess he was more pop than jazz.

I'm surprised more people haven't mentioned Sergio Mendes. His early albums were pretty deeply influenced by jazz too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom