• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

🎵 AotW Billy Crystal - MAHVELOUS! (SP-5096)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
Billy Crystal
MAHVELOUS
A&M SP-5096

1178011.jpg

A1 I Hate When That HappensFeaturing – Christopher Guest 5:15
A2 "Live" From The Bottom Line 5:18
A3 Godammit, You . . . Bastard 3:20
A4 A Mind Of Its Own 5:10
A5 Now! 4:57
B1 Sammy For AfricaFeaturing – Paul Schaffer* 3:18
B2 "You Look Marvelous" 4:24
B3 Where's Your Messiah Now? 2:33
B4 Buddy Young Jr. 2:38
B5 Howard Cosell, Right There! 4:55
B6 "Face" 8:46
B7 Fernando's Special Gift 0:20

Entered the Billboard Top 200 on Sept. 2, 1985
Charted for 13 weeks and peaked at # 65
Reissued on CD in 2000 by A&M/Universal Special Products as # 069490481-2

JB

Last edited:
I have a needledrop of this and i still love it. Absolutley" Mahvelous"and " its better to look good than to feel good you know what i'm saying and "You Know Who You are"!

The Cosell routine is a classic. "Aaah like eggs. A lot, Howard. I loove eggs! I looovvvee eggs! I go to the coffee shop in the hotel and I looove eggs. I like the over easy eggs. They never come over easy, that's a hard egg to order." "I like the Cup-o-Soup for one. I swallow the whole package and drink boilin' water and it goes wild in my belly!"

The Cosell routine is a classic. "Aaah like eggs. A lot, Howard. I loove eggs! I looovvvee eggs! I go to the coffee shop in the hotel and I looove eggs. I like the over easy eggs. They never come over easy, that's a hard egg to order." "I like the Cup-o-Soup for one. I swallow the whole package and drink boilin' water and it goes wild in my belly!"
I Love that cossell routine. Especially the ali impression " Im coming back to the ring again based on new religious beliefs so i wanna be know as Izzy iscowitz". I love every track especially on "Face" Can you dig it? I Knew that you could yessss!

I actually used "Fernando's Special Gift" on my answering machine back in the day. "Saludos, my dahlings, and you know who you are... But I don't, so please leave a message at the sound of the beep. Wait... Hold the phone up... Look at that! You Loook Maahhvelous!" (Beep)

The cover shown above is the CD re-issue cover... Here are both versions of the cover, side by side for comparison:
sp5096.jpg
sp5096alt.jpg

I actually used "Fernando's Special Gift" on my answering machine back in the day. "Saludos, my dahlings, and you know who you are... But I don't, so please leave a message at the sound of the beep. Wait... Hold the phone up... Look at that! You Loook Maahhvelous!" (Beep)

The cover shown above is the CD re-issue cover... Here are both versions of the cover, side by side for comparison:
sp5096.jpg
sp5096alt.jpg
I loved using Fernando's special message on my answering machine! Unfortunately, it confused a lot of callers who weren't sure they'd reached me :sad:

I used to have a Rodney Dangerfield greeting on my answering machine--over a dozen years ago, his web site used to have a couple of answering machine greeting messages you could download and put on your own machine, which he had recorded for that purpose. Can't recall the jokes, though (each message had a different one).

While it wasn't humorous, I once took a section out of "When Sly Calls" by Michael Franks, snipped out some measures of music, and came up with an answering machine message. Anyone familiar with the song knows which part...

I am not here, I'm making my escape.
The Me you hear, is magnetized on tape.
I'm flying south, for snorkeling and sleep.
à Côte d'Azur,
Just leave your message when you hear the...
(Don't you dare touch that phone)
When you hear the beep. *beep*

Knew someone who had "Richard Nixon" on the answering machine, and there's the ever popular (back in the day) Cheech and Chong's Dave's not here routine. :jester:

Knew someone who had "Richard Nixon" on the answering machine, and there's the ever popular (back in the day) Cheech and Chong's Dave's not here routine. :jester:
I got into Cheech &Chong when i was 13 and it was the first time i laughed so hard up to that point. I once did my own Rodney dangerfield impression on an answering machine only to be told i was Dumb. Some people just couldn't see the fun in it.

When we got our first answering machine, I had the perfect "song" to use as the message, Rupert Holmes "Answering Machine". It's one of Mr. Holmes "irony" story songs.

I'm so sorry you have just reached my answering machine
I'm not in at present, I'm sure you know this whole routine
Leave your name and number
And I'll try to get back to you
You have thirty seconds to talk to me before you're through

Unfortunately, most people just didn't get it, so I ended up just doing a boring voice message.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom