• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Blood, Sweat & Tears in Midland, MI

Status
Not open for further replies.

AM Matt

Forum Undertaker
I was at Dow Gardens in Midland, Michigan early around at 5:45. Believe it or not, there was NO Blood, Sweat & Tears merchandise whatsoever, no CD's or t-shirts. :o I was walking around the Midland Center For The Arts building & talked to some people that I didn't know but they were nice. There was a dark cloud so the group started at 7:20 instead of 7:30. The group kicked off the show with "More And More", then David Clayton-Thomas did "I Love You More Than You'll Ever Know" (which came on the group 1968 album "Child Is Father To The Man" in which either Al Kooper or Steve Katz sang lead). The song was remade on the 1976 album "More Than Ever" which finally came out last year on Wounded Bird Records for the first time on CD (on which the Columbia Records label on both sides on the album appeared kinda like WAR "Greatest Hits" & "Platinum Jazz") . Then came "Hi-De-Ho" in which the audience sang "hi-de-hi-de-hi-de-hi-de-ho". Then came the song "Lucretia Mac Evil" in which David wrote at the Holiday Inn believe it or not in Saginaw, Michigan back in early 1970. Then they did the late Laura Nyro "And When I Die". Then they did the remake of the Steve Winwood Traffic 1968 song "40,000 Headmen" in which David played a triangle that went "ding" when the trumpet player finished up his solo. Then the rain or sprinkles came & the group did "Go Down Gamblin' ". Then the rain finally stopped! Then David did a tribute to the late Ray Charles in which they did "That Lucky Old Sun" (which was also done by the late Louis Armstrong). Then the group played the song "Gimme That Wine" which is NOT on any Blood or David's solo albums in which the crowd could NOT bring any wine to the concert because of the rules. David threw out the triangle into the grass when they played in the middle of the song. Then came the late Billie Holiday classic "God Bless the Child". Then it was the song "Spinning Wheel" & David said "you been a great audience, will see you on another city tour, thank you!" Then the rainor sprinkles came back on! Then they came back for an encore in which David said "Had I forgot something?" Then the crowd & myself yelled out "You've Made Me So Very Happy" & the group played the song. Then David said "will see you again soon". Then David walked out & the group performed the song "Variations On A Theme By Erik Satie" (1st and 2nd Movements) Adapted from "Trois Gymnopedies" (which won a Grammy for Best Instrumental Performance back in 1969). The album "Blood, Sweat & Tears" (second album) also won for Best Album Of The Year at the Grammys back in 1969. Then at 8:45, the show was over & done!! Besides that second album (which was remastered back in 2000 with two live bonus tracks), I also have "What Goes Up!: The Best Of" (2-Disc Set) (1968-1976) which came out back in November of 1995. Also, "Live & Improvised" (1975 comeback tour, which came out in 1991) & David Clayton-Thomas blues CD "Blue Plate Special" from 1997. I am going to get "More Than Ever" (from 1976) at Barnes & Noble in Midland, MI. I was also going to get the David Clayton-Thomas (2 albums on 1 CD) solo (1972) & "Tequila Sunrise" (1973) which came out for the first time on CD in 2002 but the import CD from Oglio Records from the Barnes & Noble store cannot ship it to my house. There is also a brand new CD from David only available at: www.davidclaytonthomas.com as well as the first Christmas CD that is also available at his website NOT available in stores!! Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Matt, the song from the "More Than Ever" album is "I Love You More Than Ever", not "I Love You More Than You'll Ever Know", written and performed by Al Kooper (www.alkooper.com) from the 1967 BS&T LP "Child is The Father To The Man".

Matt,

I Love Blood Sweat and Tears! I used to listen to them a lot. I envy you for getting to see them live.......did they change the songs from the way they were recorded originally...and did they have an orchestra to accompany them? The album was definitely orchestrated. My brother gave me the album that the song "Sometimes in Winter" appeared on (it reminded me of the "Days of Future Passed" by the Moody Blues)...I got into this song long before I heard the Brasil '66 version....I was surprised that Brasil '66 would do a remake of this balad...I like both versions for different reasons....What do you think of the Brasil '66 version?

I was a real B, S & T fan in my day, too. I checked out a copy of their Second LP in my Middle-School Library. (Don't ask me what it was doing there! :tongue:) And in my Public Library was a copy of Blood, Sweat & Tears 3, which I also borrowed. I had the CD version of Child Is Father To Man with Bonus Tracks; demos of certain songs and an unreleased number or two. And of course had both Greatest Hits and another compilation, Found Treasures on cassette, that I played a lot in the car.

I never saw them in concert and I wish I did. Hope I get to someday!

Dave

The 5.1 SACD Surround Sound versions of SUPER SESSION and CHILD IS FATHER TO THE MAN are completed and ready for release. There are many difficulties in the world of Surround nowadays. The latest is thus:
SONY wants to release a hybrid disc with a:
1) two track remastered stereo version plus a
2) two track remastered SACD stereo version plus
3) a 5.1 SACD Surround Sound version
-from Al Kooper's website

Also- I kinda think that the BS&T version of "Without Her" inspired Herb Alpert to record it.

Sounds like a great concert!
And "Sometimes in Winter" reminds ME of DAYS OF FUTURE PASSED, too!

I'm not a huge fan, but their self-titled second album is really a great listen! Talk about an album that really mixes genres well!
And I've really fooled people from having listened to it; anytime I hear someone playing Satie's "Trois Gymnopedies", I'll always go "Satie!" and get a "I didn't know you knew your classical music!" back, and I always go, "I don't. Blood, Sweat, & Tears." :D

Jeff,

That's interesting that you also see a similarity between "Sometimes in Winter" and "Days of Future Passed."

I had no idea that Blood, Sweat, and Tears did a version of "Without Her." I want to hear their version of it....I've only heard Herb Alperts version so far and liked the way he recorded it...

"Without Her"-from the 1967 BS&T LP "Child is The Father To The Man". Herb Alpert's vocal is nothing like Al Kooper's BS&T vocal- BUT- I think it is similar in that BS&T turned a non bosso nova song and made it sound like one and the arrangemnents are similar in a strangely familiar way.

I forgot to mention that Blood, Sweat & Tears did the movie soundtrack to "The Owl And The Pussycat" (Columbia Pictures) starring Barbra Streisand, George Segal & Robert Klein back in November of 1970. The DVD has no extras except subtitles & languages (english, french & spanish). There is a scene where Barbra is a go-go dancer with members of Blood, Sweat & Tears playing at a bar & the men are watching a football game on TV instead. Then Barbra is kicked out in the bar & points the middle finger but the widescreen or fullscreen doesn't show it & David Clayton-Thomas is singing a song. At the end of the Casting credits, David also does another song. David does not appear in the movie. The movie soundtrack is NOT available on CD as of now. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

As for Herb recording of "Without Her",I suspect he got the idea from the same place that Al Kooper did-from the author himself- Harry Nilsson-on Harry's 1967 RCA debut,PANAMONIUM SHADOW SHOW,an album that never charted but got the attention of lots of others in the business,including the Beatles,especially John Lennon. Harry mentioned in interviews that he wrote "Without Her", "Don't Leave Me" and the semi-autobiographical "1941" in a single evening session while holding onto a full time position working overnights for a bank's computer department. He wrote them while working out of Perry Botkin's("Nadia's Theme" amongst lots more) office. Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom