• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Bob Edmondson Recordings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

Today I received the newest catalog from Mosaic Records (www.mosaicrecords.com), and inside featured a box set of the Gerald Wilson big band, which was the band that trombonist Bob Edmondson was in prior to the TJB. The catalog featured a small photo of the band, and you can see Edmondson sitting in the 'bone section. I don't know if he has any solos in the band, but this was a swinging group, and it may be worth checking out if you're into the west coast big band sound.

Capt. Bacardi

I've owned the Wilson box since the first day over two years ago.( I only own three,this one,the Thad Jones/Mel Lewis and Thad's solo stuff). If memory serves me,Bob is not necessarily a standout in the band but the unison writing is superb. Trumpeters Carmel Jones and Charles Tolliver get lots of room,as does guitarist Joe Pass, tenor sax Teddy Edwards or Harold Land,Groove Holmes on the Hammond B-3, Victor Feldman,vibes and Mel Lewis on drums. Bob played on five of Gerald's PJ albums,through Dec.,1965. and there are three photos with him in the box. Of interest to TJB fans,as I put in a thread from the old forum,are Gerald's tributes in big band writing to classical bull fighting,especially THJE GOLDEN SWORD. Highly recommended! And save your dough for another Mosaic box due out in the fall-the Complete Verve Gerry Mulligan Concert Jazz Band(another Mel Lewis precursor to his own band) on four discs with about five unreleased tracks. Verve promised this for years but finally relinquished to Mosaic so it may be pricy but done the right way. Mac

jimac51 said:
I've owned the Wilson box since the first day over two years ago.( I only own three,this one, the Thad Jones/Mel Lewis and Thad's solo stuff). If memory serves me, Bob is not necessarily a standout in the band but the unison writing is superb.

I have a couple of these tracks on a Pacific Jazz sampler LP (I'm guessing the original recordings were on Pacific Jazz?). It sounds great on that sampler. I might splurge on this set, since it's only around $80 or so.

Capt. Bacardi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom