• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Bossa Nova Todd

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
Todd Rundgren's much anticipated solo tour hit town last night, which was a treat for fans, this being his first local stop. A show scheduled 30 years ago was cancelled, so most of us had never seen him live.
With just himself, his guitar and piano, this was an informal production. Its unrehersed nature has brought some criticism from reviewers, which a ragged and uneven version of "Hello It's Me" justified. Plus, his audience is divided between those who prefer the solo material over the heavy metal Utopia stuff - and vice versa, which would make any choice of material controversial.
He used a prefabricated sound/drum machine during a set of Bossa Nova versions of some his classics, but those arrangements for me were the height of the show. I found myself wishing he'd add some Jobim covers and do an entire concert in a Latin setting.
Here's the setlist:

Love of the Common Man/ Cliche/ Won't Go to War No More/ I Don't Want to Tie You Down/ Hammer in my Heart/ Viiking Song/ It Wouldn't Have made any Difference/ excerpt from a Shakespere play score he wrote/ Compassion/ Hello It's Me/ Bang the Drum All Day/ Tiny Needles inside Me/ You've Got to hide your love Away/ Love in Action.

Bossa Nova set: I Saw the Light/ Influenza/ Can we still be Friends?/ I Want You (all from the WITH A TWIST album)

One World/ The Wheel of Karma/ Dream Goes on Forever.

Rundgren is a veteran producer/performer/songwriter who is also a pioneer in studio experiments. While best known for his string of '70s albums, such as WIZARD A TRUE STAR and SOMETHING-ANYTHING, he also produced Meatloaf's classic BAT OUT OF HELL album and occasionally has performed in Hall & Oates backup band. His recent technological ventures include an interactive album which allows listeners to remix his compositions to fit their tastes (which is way beyond my understanding).
Should Rundgren's tour venture near you, this would be a worthwhile event to take in.
JB

Wow Jim- Todd is my fave- second only to Herb and the A&M stars. I have seen him more than a dozen times! (By the way, one of your song listings S/B"Tiny Demons", not "needles" (from 1981's "Healing" album). :)
The venue he had for you was among my least favorite "sides" of Todd, he is much better as the Rock and Roller than the Lounge Lizard.
His albums usually score high marks from me, but in particular, "With a Twist" was his worst to date. His "Bosso Nova" attempt was lame, IMHO, and being a "A&M Corner" person, I would be a pretty good judge. His work of late does not come close to his 70's heavy metal numbers.
I must say, when Lani Hall did Todd's "Hello It's Me", I think that was the start of my interest in his stuff. Lani did an amazing version- not to be missed.
More later!,
sjg

I went to high school (Upper Darby) with Todd (as Mac can attest). He was two years ahead of me, so when I was in 10th grade, he was a senior. I have the yearbook for that year, but Todd is listed as "not pictured." He was that kind of guy, even then -- out of the mainstream.

I often like to open conversations abouit Todd Rundgren by stating that I used to sell drugs to the Rundgrens. After a bit of shock by whomever I'm conversing with, I reveal that I used to work in a local drug store and one of our customers was the Rundgren household! So even though the "drugs" in question were likely antihistamines and antibiotics, I still get to claim selling drugs to the Rundgrens!

Harry
...drug dealer to the stars, online...

Back in '78, I saw Herb Alpert at the Roxy in Hollywood- The next day I saw Todd there- it was unusual that my faves played back to back. (It was Herb Alpert w/Hugh Masakela , Todd was promoting "The Hermit Of Mink Hollow" LP.

About Todd and Upper Darby- I just found an article that says that Todd graduated(the first time I've ever read that he actually graduated) in 1966,mentions the "not pictured" yearbook and that his band,Money,played in the annual Battle of the Bands.His graduation was probably held(correct me if I'm wrong,Harry) at the near- famous Tower Theater,where David Bowie did a live album just a few years later in 1974. BTW,all you Nazz fans can now collect the three albums,singles and odds-n-ends in a two disc set from Sanctuary Records for under 20 bucks. Mac

Thanks, guys, for the setlist correction and related stories. I've got the RUNT album on LP but haven't seen a CD version of either this or the BALLAD OF T.R. album.
I particularly enjoy the WIZARD TRUE STAR album for the range of material, the R&B covers, the heroic cramming of over 30 minutes on one side of an LP, and the die cut cover. I collected most of his 70s stuff after SOMETHING/ANYTHING became popular in 1974 - two years after being released.
Although the weather was cold, T.R. hung out after the concert near the venue with about 15 fans for a long time. He answered questions for everybody, signed autographs and posed for pictures. This was especially nice, since a family friend and long-time Todd fan got to snap a photo of him with his young son.
There was much hilarity between songs when audience members shouted song requests. One guy yelled "Number One Lowest Common Denominator," and after the mellow Bossa Nova set, during which there was dancing near the stage, another requested "Slut." He declined, saying that would spoil the mood.
The most unusual autograph request was from a fan who drove his car near the theater to have his windshield visor autographed. Hope he's not planning to trade the car in any way soon.
JB

Rhino has kept some of Todd's Bearsville recordings(and Ampex in the case of BALLAD and RUNT) in print as well as a Very Best,Essential and an Anthology. There was a compilation of some of his production work,too,but it may be OOP. Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom