• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Brian Wilson "Smile" doc to feature Kaye & Bla

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimac51

In anticipation of the release of Brian Wilson's "Smile" album(newly recorded,not the original Beach Boy sessions),Showtime will present a documentay featuring interviews with longtime Wilson studio collaborators Carol Kaye and Hal Blaine,also of interest to A&M fans for their session work with Herb & others. The show airs Oct.5th and traces the story of the original "Smile" sessions from 1966 with VanDyke Parks to the actual completed recording of the album in Febuary of this year(Brian has been performing a live version of the album since the recording was completed). The 38 year wait for the album alone is almost over and since I do not subscribe to Showtime,here's hoping the documentary is released commercially later on. Mac

There's also a DVD to be available late this summer about Carol and her career. Finnish public television has produced a documentary, and the DVD is to be available in the U.S...possibly a PBS showing, as well...go to www.carolkaye.com for more details.

Dan

A quick follow-up on Carol's documentary...it will be shown on european television on August 22 at 7:30pm...I have no info on any channel, or if it's EST[Eastern Standard Time here in the states...]; but I know that a lot of ourregulars would like to see the show. Idon't know if she discusses Herb and the Brass recording sessions or not, but her life and work are fascinating, nontheless. She was an integral part of the foundation of modern pop music, and remains a treasure trove of anecdotes about the '60's-on era of pop music. She's also a dedicated teacher.

Dan

PS....the Showtime special on Brian is scheduled for October 5...and Brian and his wife are Larry King's guests for the whole hour on Friday, Aug 20...

Dan, sleepily hitting the wrong keys and forgetting half of the info in his posts...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom