• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

🎷 AotW: Horizon Brubeck & Desmond - 1975: THE DUETS (SP-703)

Horizon label releases.

How Would You Rate This Album?

• ***** (Best)

Votes: 2 40.0%

Votes: 2 40.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• * (Worst)

• Never Heard This Album

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

Captain Bacardi

Dave Brubeck & Paul Desmond
1975: THE DUETS

A&M/Horizon SP-703

sp703.jpg

Released 1975
Peaked at #20 on the Jazz Album charts (1976)

Format: Vinyl/8-Track/Cassette/CD

Produced by John Snyder

Songs:
  • 1. Alice In Wonderland (Fain/Hilliard) - 4:04
    2. These Foolish Things (Marvell/Strackey/Link) - 5:06
    3. Blue Dove (P.D. Arranged by Dave Brubeck) - 4:32
    4. Stardust (Carmichael/Parish) - 4:39
    5. Koto Song (Dave Brubeck) - 5:54
    6. Balcony Rock (P. Desmond/D. Brubeck) - 2:15
    7. Summer Song (Dave Brubeck) - 3:16
    8. You Go To My Head (Gillespie/Coots) - 7:15

Musicians:
Dave Brubeck - Piano
Paul Desmond - Alto Sax

Recorded September 15, 16, 1975 at CI Recording Studios, New York
Mixed October 3, 4, 1975 at CI Recording Studios.
Engineered by Elvin Campbell with assistance from David Achelis.

"You Go To My Head" was recorded June 10, 1975 aboard the S.S. Rotterdam. A&M gratefully acknowledges the cooperation of the BBC for making this tape available. (Mono recording)

Art Direction: Roland Young
Album Design: Stan Evenson and Phil Shima
Cover Photography: Harry Mittman
Liner notes by Paul Desmond

Capt. Bacardi

I've heard that this is a very good album. Then again, what album with either of these gentlemen isn't? Why haven't I bought it yet?!

DUETS entered the Billboard Top 200 on January 10, 1976 and charted for five weeks, peaking at Number 167, according to Whitburn's Top Pop Albums.

This was the last album by either Brubeck or Desmond to enter the pop charts and the only A&M item to do so.
JB

This is a nice set. This reminds me of a couple of guys who are just sitting around and playing some old favorites. It's not a big jam session and they're not trying to outdo each other. This is basically a conversation between two old friends, and it works quite well. The only time Brubeck and Desmond get adventurous is on "Koto Song", where Paul flaps the keys on his sax to create a little rhythm section. The rest is thoughtful, reflective interpretations of great tunes. Very nice effort. 4 stars.

Capt. Bacardi

I really love this album. I had no idea it charted when it was released.....It always struck me as a bit of a minority interest, given that there are only two instruments.

I remember that I first heard of Paul Desmond after buying You Can't Go Home Again just because I was taken by the cover and, of course, the label. That led me to Duets which, in turn, took me to the three Desmond CTI recordings. From there, I started to add non-A&M Desmond recordings. And I also picked up the 25th Anniversary Reunion album along the way.

Funny how picking up an album just because of the label it was recorded on can lead to all sorts of avenues.............but that was one of the great appeals of A&M, wasn't it?

Excuse my reminiscing!

Stephen

Stephen Vakil said:
Funny how picking up an album just because of the label it was recorded on can lead to all sorts of avenues.............but that was one of the great appeals of A&M, wasn't it?

It certainly was for me as well. And no need to apolgize for reminiscing!

--Mr Bill
Love of TJB led to 19000 series sampler led to other A&M acts led to more recent Foreplay samplers led to IRS Records and so on...

When I first got this album I was a little disappointed because I was so used to the Brubeck Quartet sound, and this album is nothing like those recordings. However, I've learned to love this album since. This is a nice, intimate album, a conversation between two lyrical players, and it works quite well. My favorite track is the opener "Alice In Wonderland", although I also enjoy "Koto Song", where Desmond flaps the keys of his sax to create a percussion sound that Brubeck plays over. Good stuff!

Capt. Bacardi

Back
Top Bottom