Burt Bacharach box set due November 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.
No - I took standard shipping. Just lucky I guess...

Harry

Hey Guys!

My set just came this morning. Harry & I received our confirming e-mails at the same time and he got his 2 days sooner. The funny thing is that the package shipped from a facility in Shelton, CT, which is only about 25 miles from me. I think there's a postal joke there somewhere. (With apologies to my brother & Captain Baccardi :) )

Dagnabbit! I love living in Montana, but this "postal gap" is driving me nuts! Maybe on Monday.....

Heck, I've had stuff from California get to me faster than mail from across town! Maybe when I order this set I'll luck out.

Oh, by the way - my "free surprise bonus gift" was a Hip-O Select fridge magnet. From what I've read elsewhere, other folks got Hip-O Select Post-It™ pads.

Harry
...with a Hip-O on his fridge, online...

Well my set arrived on Monday, as expected so I've been listening all week. I'm halfway through Disk 3 right now.

The only quibble I've had with the sound so far (other than some of the tape hiss, which I expected from comments above) is at the very end of "I Might Frighten Her Away." There's a small glitch in the trumpet as the song fades out, it sounds like someone must have bumped the tape reel during the recording process. I was hoping this would be fixed but no luck. It must be on the master tape.

I was a bit disappointed in the liner notes. While they ARE very good reading, I was hoping for more information about the A&M recordings specifically. They are just given one sentence in the essay. I was hoping for some details, like Burt's comments on the arrangements, musicians, recording sessions, etc. Everybody KNOWS all about Dionne Warwick, the Carpenters, Hal David, etc. Considering the collection IS titled "The Complete A&M Years," this seems like quite an omission to me.

There are a couple of "typos" in the song listings. "Monterey Peninsula" is listed as "Monterey Penninsula," and "Always Something There to Remind Me" has its last word replaced with "My." These two errors each appear twice -- in the credits section, and again on the individual pages for each disk. Not a huge deal, but such obvious typos in professionally-produced packages annoy me to no end. There is simply no excuse for it.

However, I'm still very happy with the package overall. It's very classy, and sure is nice to have all the A&M recordings (plus plenty more) in one place. This is the kind of thing they should do with the Herb Alpert albums...after they come out individually of course! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom