Captain & Tennille "Muskrat Love" 45 single

Status
Not open for further replies.

AM Matt

Forum Undertaker
Back in November of 1976, my mom got me the 45 single of "Muskrat Love" by the Captain & Tennille. At the end of the song, the rapping goes on forever. The timing on the 45 reads 3:28 instead of 3:47 on the "Song Of Joy" album. Did someone do something tricky with the 45 single? :tongue: Matthew Clark Sanford, Michigan

Jeez! I wish I could tell you, Matt. I currently only own GREATEST HITS right now. I had the album with Neil Sedaka's "You've Never Done It" and The Captain's "D Keyboard Blues", but got rid of it.

As for "Muskrat Love", the version on GREATEST HITS is the same legnth as the version on SONG OF JOY. I once had a bunch of C&T '45's, though, including "Muskrat Love", but never simoultaneously with any 'LP versions'.

Sorry, I can't Help! :sad:

Dave :confused:

I can actually help you out on this, since I own virtually all of the Captain & Tennile 45 singles on A&M.
The "Muskrat Love" 45 is kind of a "trick" 45, because the playing time is entirely dependent on whether or not you play the 45 on a turntable with an automatic return (or an automatic stop) or on a turntable where you need to manually stop it yourself.
The LP and 45 versions of "Muskrat Love" are identical up until the last twenty seconds or so. The difference is that on the "Song of Joy" LP version, once the pulse beat (that gets louder at song's end after everything else has faded out) has sped up to horse-gallop speed, it continues for a few seconds and then slows down a tad, fading out, and going into the next song.
But on the 45, the pulse-speeding-up at the end was curiously (for some reason I don't know, but have always found intriguing) tagged onto the trail-off area of the vinyl rather than on the regular groove area. Because of this neat little bit of trickery - if you have a turntable that doesn't have an automatic return or automatic stop once the disc is over (in which case the song comes to a very abrupt end, since the pulse has yet to fade out) - the horse-gallop just keeps going on and on until you go over and pick the needle up. (Similar in manner to the odd chant tacked on to the trail-off area of British copies of The Beatles' "Sgt. Pepper" that was restored for the CD pressing.)
So if you were playing the 45 version of "Muskrat Love" on a manual-stop turntable, the 45 DEFINITELY would have seemed a lot longer than the listed playing time.
And - because the pulse-beat at the end never actually fades out on the 45 like it does on the LP and comes to an abrupt end if played on an automatic turntable - THIS should explain why the playing time on the 45 is LISTED as being twenty seconds shorter.
Hope that answers your question!

Has anyone else seen the TV Commercial for Khol's (sp?) They are playing a Captain & Tennile song, everytime I hear it, I start singing it to myself & laugh I use to love that song, cause I remember when that song was a hit & played on the radio so much back in the days when radio was fun to listen to, now all I do is listen to my Cd's in my car cause radio never plays my kind of music anymore.

...who has 1 Captain & Tennile Lp called, "Make Your Move", online...

Although we don't have Kohl's here in southern California we do get to see the commercials since they're run on national cable channels. I'm guessing that Kohl's is likeTarget or K-Mart, etc.

There are at least four different commercials using "Love Will Keep Us Together" that I've seen and of them two also feature the Captain & Tennille in cameos. Watch for the one where people open their door to carolers on the porch and you can see Tennille singing and the Captain next to her with a little casio-type keyboard. Very amusing to those of us fascinated by cameos (just about the only redeming quality to Hollywood remakes)...

--Mr Bill

Mr Bill said:
Although we don't have Kohl's here in southern California we do get to see the commercials since they're run on national cable channels. I'm guessing that Kohl's is likeTarget or K-Mart, etc.

Kohl's....hmmm....it's not quite that kind of store. I did a lot of shopping there this holiday season (they had some incredible discounts...they usually don't), but they mainly carry clothing, housewares like kitchen items and towels and linens, a jewelry counter, a smallish toy area, fragrances, etc. Sort of like a smaller version of a JC Penney, perhaps? Back when they were Main Street (IIRC), they did carry electronics, Gone now. They can't compete with the big retailers.

Kohl's is based in Wisconsin; it's where Herb Kohl, the senior senator from the Badger State, got his millions. For years it was an exclusively Upper Midwest chain -- I had never heard of it before I moved to Wisconsin in 1995 -- but several years ago, Kohl's expanded elsewhere, first by buying some stores from other chains that would have closed entirely if Kohl's hadn't stepped in. (If I recall, many of the Kohl's in the mid-Atlantic states used to be Clover stores, which were the discount-store versions of the former Strawbridge & Clothier.) Kohl's to me is a notch above Target and a notch below Marshall Field's -- somewhere in the JC Penney category, though they always seem to be higher class stores than Penney's.

Kohl's also, since 2000, has put out really nice Christmas CDs for its "Kohl's Cares for Kids" charity. This year's, in fact, had two new songs on it, which you don't see very often other than on holiday CDs made for Target. For $5, it's a bargain.

From what I'm hearing it's more like Mervyn's, which we have here in California. I think Mervyn's is owned by the same people who own Target and Marshall Field's (The Dayton-Hudson Corp).

--Mr Bill
who used to work for B. Dalton many years ago which at the time was part of Dayton-Hudson conglomerate.

Mervyn's, yes, is probably closest to Kohl's, as we have both up here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom