• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Carpenters' 40th Anniversary? *

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

Anyone heard buzz on a special production honoring the 40th ann? April 2009 is 10 months away and I would think something might come out of Japan anyway. I don't know what it could possibly entail. Everything out there has been mixed and remastered. It seems hopeless to expect anything we don't already have. Another special packaging with intensely detailed production notes would get my attn however. I've always wanted to see "inside" the studio. Ya know RC has been somewhat displeased with certain takes on the CarpenterS legacy. Wouldn't it be cool if he set the record straight and to the point in an autobiography? I wonder if he has considered producing a film depicting the band thru his eyes? THE KC STORY and Todd Haynes SUPERSTAR were off the mark he says. I think Karen's legacy is befitting of a feature film much like THE ROSE and LADY SINGS THE BLUES. Thereby giving us an honest invitation to meet the person behind the voice. THE ENQUIRER type take on things is so sophomoric. There must be a way to story tell with class and respect keeping integrity and ultra personal things in check. Karen was more than a voice and I'd like to hear that shared.

Jeff

Musically, there is little to add, with the exception of a live box set. RC has many live shows recorded.

I think the real goldmine would be the video legacy. Release the ABC TV specials, release some of the live concerts on DVD, release "Make your own kind of music".

And, make the sets for the fans. We don't need another mass appeal greatest hits CD. Follow the trend of Elton, Springsteen, and Manilow. Put a great box set on the market.

Fans Ask
"I'm trying to find out if "Make Your Own Kind Of Music" will ever be released completely on DVD?”

Richard
“Absolutely not. Obtaining guest artists' releases, taking care of payment for publishing, director's fee, musicians' fees, etc. would prove to be a Herculean task and one that would not be practical given the meager amount of sales the package would generate. Plus, I don't care at all for the show.”

I would not look for this to ever be released. We almost got Live at the BBC on DVD but that was stopped by Richard. There is good copies of Live at the Pladdium and Live at New London Theatre out there too. I think the closest possible release on DVD from Richard "might" be clips from MMM tv special and clips from their 2 Christmas specials. If it's possible for him to extract parts of those specials without too much trouble and expense then it might be possible, however I am not expecting anything like that. As much as the fans want it, I personally just don't think it will ever happen. Richard has never been a huge fan of the video side of their profession, I think he was also quoted as saying the special were really for Karen. If only Karen could tell him to release it for the fans...maybe time has a way of softening hearts toward this respect.

[Richard) said:
“Absolutely not. Obtaining guest artists' releases, taking care of payment for publishing, director's fee, musicians' fees, etc. would prove to be a Herculean task and one that would not be practical given the meager amount of sales the package would generate. Plus, I don't care at all for the show.”

I am sorry, but this been proven to not be the case. TV Variety shows from Sonny & Cher, the Captain & Tennille, Tony Orlando & Dawn, Barry Manilow, Tom Jones, Johnny Cash, Donny & Marie, and even a Raquel Welch TV special have been released on DVD. As long as the programs are released in their original form in tact, it can be done. It only becomes expensive for a "clip show". They are considered a new program and fall under current DVD royalties.

While some variety shows have been released on DVD, they haven't always done particularly well in sales.

Looking at some amazon numbers (and yes, I know they only represent *current* rankings, but it's all we have), the Captain and Tennille shows on DVD are ranked in the 30,000s while some "rare" specials they did are ranked down near the 50,000 mark.

Carpenters have their GOLD package out there (which has been out for quite a few years) ranked at around 20000.

Those kind of figures don't translate into huge sales, and are certainly not worth it for the hassles of securing all of those royalties and licensing fees.

Sure, we the fans would like to have them, but then we want everything - and some things simply aren't practical from a business sense.

Harry

On the flip side, the 2007 release of the Barry Manilow DVD specials box set, which featured his four network specials from the 70's was certified platinum.

Barry Manilow probably has a little more of an audience TODAY than the Carpenters do. He's still putting out albums, in fact his last couple releases have hit high on the charts. So there's a little more incentive to get everything out there that's possible.

I re-watched the Carpenters video (Close to You: Remembering) over the weekend and was struck by how awful their clothing choices were, especially Karen. (Not that I'm a clothing expert or anything like that, but I know a bad prom dress when I see one!) I think the clothes share a lot of the blame for the "image" problem they had.

[Adjusted thread title to eliminate abbreviations and for future accuracy in searches - Moderator]

--Thanks! :thumbsup:

Hopefully soon we'll see some sign of a 40th Anniversary for K & R C... :tongue:artyhat:

Dave

A few years ago someone sent an email to the company that released Sonny & Cher, they answered
that they would put ON-J and the Carpenters specials out on DVD in a heartbeat!
Problem is, Richard Carpenter will not authorize the Carpenters shows (which he owns) and
Olivia does not control her specials.... 'll keep trying and perhaps Richard will change his mind regarding Carpenters

They were going to release Donny & Marie on DVD, they had Olivia's appearance for ad of Donny & Marie DVD,
but they couldn't have Olivia's parts.

They DID release
DVD "This Is Your Life" and box set of "This Is Your Life" (both had Carpenters) and
DVD "Bob Hope's comedy collection 1972" which had Carpenters (but not songs).
51yse67JIuL._SS500_.jpg
51SXC8DJBML._SS500_.jpg

DVD "Live at Budokan" was released when Carpenters became popular again in Japan.

Did I write if we could make Werner Wolfen or someone suggest DVD's to Richard?

Richard wrote about "An Old Fashioned Christmas;
I was informed by.... Werner Wolfen, that A&M was interested in releasing an album....

Shun would like to release lives and DVD's, but his last work for Carpenters was Single Box, he no longer works for Carpenters.
I wish Universal Music U.S. plan something.

I'd like to have Audio Book where Richard talks about Carpenters. :rolleyes:

Sakura

I think the clothes share a lot of the blame for the "image" problem they had.

Agreed Mike B. But if one was lucky enough to see them in 1975 at the Valley Forge Music Fair they both looked great and not nerdy at all. Karen looked HOT it a somewhat short white outfit and boots and what a reporter called her 'Veronica Lake' hairdoo. Magnificent.

goodjeans said:
But if one was lucky enough to see them in 1975 at the Valley Forge Music Fair they both looked great and not nerdy at all. Karen looked HOT it a somewhat short white outfit and boots and what a reporter called her 'Veronica Lake' hairdoo. Magnificent.

I'd like to see the outfit!

I love Karen's outfits in Japan 1974, Karen in red mid 70's, and the following pale blue outfits. (I'm not sure if you can see the photo.)
http://www.gettyimages.com/Home.aspx

http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/2662262.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=6E41E83E90A345BDC2B99A406FB5C3B6

Sakura

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom