Carpenters & BBC

Status
Not open for further replies.
The stand out moment in the "Only Yesterday" documentary , was Werner Wolfen. He knew all the "dirty laundry", and could only hint at what was going on.......amazed that BBC got him to utter one syllable......and he was so much on his guard........almost as if someone was holding a pistol to his head.

And just to clarify, the "dirty laundry" term was used in reference to what occurred between Karen & Tom, something that is so private, it will not be revealed........no matter how hard the BBC tried to uncover the true facts.

The stand out moment in the "Only Yesterday" documentary , was Werner Wolfen. He knew all the "dirty laundry", and could only hint at what was going on.......amazed that BBC got him to utter one syllable......and he was so much on his guard........almost as if someone was holding a pistol to his head.

This documentary is on tonight on BBC4 at 11:25.

Thanks for bringing this one to my attention !
I am watching Only Yesterday Documentary on Youtube, now.
I notice, in this documentary, in reference to touring in 1974:
Werner Wolfen says "..they had a manager (Sherwin Bash) and an agent who, frankly, profited greatly from booking them..."
John Bettis, "...it wasn't very smart.."
Richard Carpenter, "...all of our success sprang from the records, so you don't forget the records and go touring around the world..."
Sherwin Bash, "...I don't think he (Richard) was ever truly happy out on the road, because once there was an audience, the audience
obviously loved and adored Karen
...tremendous love and respect between the two of them...but, Richard was jealous.."

(1) So, Jerry Weintraub didn't profit greatly from the Carpenters ?
(2) So, taking time do to television specials did not take time away from recording "the records"?
Again, things do not really add up.
By Richard's logic, they should have been in the recording studio much more from 1975 to 1980, because of much less touring.
It was the tours in the USA that were strongly curtailed, and that did affect sales and public awareness.
Promotion of albums...that is what touring is supposed to do...sell the records.
Or, the 1976 Japan, UK, and Netherlands should have been curtailed, since Sherwin Bash had been fired after the Sedaka incident.
Richard did not suddenly do more, and better, records after the touring stopped.

Stephen, I assume he was rehired,by Richard Carpenter, sometime in the 1990's. (the 1980's saw him with Anita Baker, I believe).
Seems I recall he was managing at the time of the Richard Carpenter Japan concerts in late 1990's.
But, I really do not know any particulars.

Apparently, as I read in an interview with Randy Schmidt regarding "Little Girl Blue",
he (Sherwin Bash) was unwilling to talk of Karen Carpenter.

Apparently, as I read in an interview with Randy Schmidt regarding "Little Girl Blue",
he (Sherwin Bash) was unwilling to talk of Karen Carpenter.

I'm assuming that's because he's about the only person interviewed for the book that is still directly affiliated to - and works for - Richard, so I'm guessing he declined because of that. Richard also declined to be interviewed.

I'm assuming that's because he's about the only person interviewed for the book that is still directly affiliated to - and works for - Richard, so I'm guessing he declined because of that. Richard also declined to be interviewed.
I think many of those those close to Karen and Richard decline to comment out of respect for Richard. No matter how kind or well meaning, their comments may be taken out of context and they no doubt don't want to cause him any more pain. Can't blame them for that. Some of those who did comment waited for years and the demise of their parents to do so.

Points well taken, all.
Which is why I was puzzled when John Bettis expressed his view that the public is not
getting the 'overall' picture of Karen Carpenter, as a human being.
I reiterate: How could we?

Viewed the repeat showing of this documentary last night, well worth watching again, explains Richard & Karen's rise and fall in a factual manner, great watch.

Points well taken, all.
Which is why I was puzzled when John Bettis expressed his view that the public is not
getting the 'overall' picture of Karen Carpenter, as a human being.
I reiterate: How could we?
This is one more reason why Richard should write an autobiography.

This is one more reason why Richard should write an autobiography.

Richard SHOULD write an autobiography, absolutely; however, A LOT of people here would use it as fodder to accuse him of all sorts of malfeasnts, lies, distrortions, and ill-will toward Karen for sake of his own ego. So why should he do this when his own self-described "fans" are forever in conspiracy mode against him?

Regarding John's comments about not getting an "overall picture of Kren Carpenter as a human being," I think (and correct me if I'm wrong) he was refferring to Randy's book (LGB). And, in a sense he is right. We have now "two" credible biographies: one is the official "sanctioned" biography and the other, a more "tell-all" book from the perspective of Karen's girlfriends. Neither "account" can be fully trusted as both tellings seem to have an ageda...and by that, I do NOT mean that the authors had an agenda, but those interviewed for the books had an agenda. Together, though, I think we DO get "overall pictures of Karen Carpenter as a human being." All that's missing, really, is Karen's own autobiography which, sadly, will never come.

I'd REALLY like John Bettis to write a book on Carpenters. Now THAT would be a good read. He seems to be a stand-up, honest, and ethical guy who could bridge the "official" Carpenter organization account of Karen's life and the girlfriends' account of Karen's life. Also, since he said it, he could filling those parts where "Karen as human being" is missing for us.

Geographer, I must be living on cloud 'cuckoo-land' ,
Never in my wildest dreams would I consider that members of this forum would use a Richard Carpenter autobiography as
"...fodder, to accuse him of all sorts of malfeasance, lies, distortions, and ill-will toward Karen.."
Members of this forum appear to me to be quite above that type of attack. I hope I am not wrong in that opinion.
At 39 minutes into Part 2 of the interview, John Bettis mentions that the Little Girl Blue Biography was
(direct quotes) "...all accurate...nothing inaccurate or libelous." Also, that it was a "...Compendium of existing articles with no new information..."
That the book gave one an impression of the "melancholy" but not the "..lively,energetic, funny, aggressive..."Karen Carpenter.
But, yes, you are correct, John Bettis possesses attributes which make him a prime candidate to write such a biography.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom