Carpenters "CHRONICLES" Official Information;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris May

Resident ‘Carpenterologist’
Staff member
Some very exciting things on the horizon for Carpenters fans, both new and old alike!

"CHRONICLES", which is a 3 album, 3-CD longbox set will be released in June of this year. It features "Close To You", "Carpenters" and "A Song For You" in mini-LP format with original artwork.

There is a likelihood that quarterly follow-ups will be released based on sales, etc. However, according to the Carpenters' home-base, "nothing is set in stone yet". This should be exciting....Be on the lookout!!! -Chris

Chris May said:
"CHRONICLES", which is a 3 album, 3-CD longbox set will be released in June of this year. It features "Close To You", "Carpenters" and "A Song For You" in mini-LP format with original artwork.

So then this sounds like the same style discs that are in the Black 35th Anniv Box Set, correct? I am also assuming these will be the re-mastered as is the discs that appear in the black box set.

So how many are buying this if you already have the black box set? What does the phrase longbox set mean?

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
What does the phrase longbox set mean?

Most likely resembles that of the recent Beatles release "THE CAPITOL ALBUMS, VOL. 1". -Chris

I'd buy this. I already have the remasters of CLOSE TO YOU and A SONG FOR YOU, but I don't have the CARPENTERS album, and I think the cover reproductions sound cool. I've always hated the CD packaging on CARPENTERS. Maybe that's why I've never been inclined to buy it.

NO WAY! Ahh I just bought these all recently on Amazon for 10.99 each :cry: But if they were hybrid SACDs at the same time, then it would be a different story. I say that would've been a great way to re-release the originals, with the Mini LPs and all

Wouldn't it make sense to start with TICKET TO RIDE? It would be cool if they gave it the OFFERING title instead.

Why don't they ask us!? LOL!

CarpentersToYou said:
Wouldn't it make sense to start with TICKET TO RIDE? It would be cool if they gave it the OFFERING title instead.

I don't think sales have ever been great enough for the record company to justify releasing it.

I am pleased to see that the United States will see the mini-Lp/original artwork novelty with this. Again, there *is* a possiblity that future sets will be released, but nothing in the works for sure yet. -Chris

It's a shame though, because if they do go ahead and release more, the series will be out of sync. Twelve studio albums could have gone perfectly as 4 chronological sets of 3.

What will they do now, put Offering with Voice Of The Heart and Lovelines? :laugh:

Stephen

Through a different grapevine, I hear that the Chronicles packaging will NOT be mini-LP sleeves. Interesting. We'll have to wait and see I suppose.

Harry

Well, hell. That's the main reason I'd want to buy it! Both CARPENTERS and A SONG FOR YOU had cool, unique sleeves.

Since I already have the 35th aneversary set I see no reason to get this "collection" in the Beatles case the albums were slightly different actually quit a bit different (not enough to make me want to buy it as I have all their records as well) but unless there is something really different in the Chronicles I think I will pass on this one. :sad: :thumbsdn:

I imagine it will be in a package like FROM THE TOP, have a different picture of them on the cover and have a round sticker on it saying ORIGINAL TRACKS, includes the hits "(They Long To Be) Close To You", "We've Only Just Begun", "For All We Know", stuff like that, etcetera.

Then on the inside we will have the 3 spots for the CD's and a little compartment that holds the 3 covers.

On the back will be a listing of the songs (without numbers or saying what album it is, just a listing of all of them in order) and have the 3 pictures of the 3 covers.

Celine Dion has a set like this with her "Unison", "Celine Dion," and "The Colour of My Love" albums.

Barbra Streisand has a set like this that has her "Funny Girl OST", "Featuring The Way We Were and All In Love is Fair", and "A Star Is Born OST" CD's. The Celine one can be found in virtually any store, especially Wal-Mart but the Barbra one is harder to find.

So, nothing to get excited over unless you are a collector.

I think the best thing they can do with the "Chronicles" sets is to put on each CD the original mixes, followed by the remixes (for those who have that preference. If Capitol can do a "mono/stereo" release of the Beatles, there should be no difficulty to get the "Original Mix/New Remix" versions of the Carpenters albums. Thank You.

I think there should be stripped down versions with just Richard's piano and Karen, with minor strings in the mix here and there, now that would be nice and different :thumbsup:

As these longboxes *will* include original album artwork etc., upon further discussion with the Carpenters' "home-base", there is still some uncertainty as to whether or not these will resemble EXACTLY that of the Japanese mini-LPs.

Again, it is speculated that additional sets will be released every quarter, but again that is not 100%. Either way, I am sure that "CHRONICLES" will be a good purchase for collectors and new fans alike. -Chris

On my website, I have the picture of Celine Dion's long box-style release. I imagine it's similar.

Note: This message has been edited by the moderator team for clarification purposes.

According to cduniverse.com the CHRONICLES is under the UNIVERSAL MUSIC and VI2 label. What is that? Has it reached that time where they stop putting the little A&M logos on the CDs?

Universal is so huge and includes so many labels that distributors often categorize things under a different label than the one that might appear on the package. For example, on Herb Alpert's DEFINITIVE HITS had the A&M logo, but our CD warehouse listed it is being on "Interscope," which is another one of the U labels. Same thing has probably happened with the Carp package.

It appears that this release has been pushed back to August 23rd. No big surprise, but a bummer for those who were really looking forward to it. -Chris

There is a new 'minor' release for Carpenters happening in Japan this summer. Apparently they're doing a series called BEST 1200. Whether that means 1200 artists or what I'm not sure, but Burt Bacharach is also listed as having an entry. (Thanks to Scott B. for pointing that out.)

Carpenters issue in this series is another re-package of REFLECTIONS / SWEET, SWEET SMILE

Tracklist at HMV is: http://info.hmv.co.jp/p/t/1069/173.html

1. I Need To Be In Love
2. I Just Fall In Love Again
3. Baby It's You
4. Can't Smile Without You
5. Beechwood 4-5789
6. Eve
7. All Of My Life
8. Reason To Believe
9. Your Baby Doesn't Love You Anymore
10. Maybe It's You
11. Ticket To Ride
12. Sweet, Sweet Smile
13. A Song For You
14. Because We Are In Love

Release date is listed as June 27th. Unless I find out that there's something unique about the packaging or mixes used, I'll probably pass on this one as I already own REFLECTIONS.

Harry

The 1200 is used because each disc is 1200 Yen. Upon looking at some other artists in this same series it appears that every release is a reissue of some sort. I think at 1200 Yen Universal Japan is not going to do anything special and certainly not re-remaster anything. This just appears to be a budget campaign for the summer in Japan.

To bad as I wish this Carpenters release would be different in someway song or sound wise as then I would have an excuse to by it :)

Scott B

I hope someone that gets it does post if there is anything interesting or different with the songs. I wonder if Richard will include a special insert booklet on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom