• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Carpenters do Bond ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Someday

Although it is generally considered (at least in the UK) that Shirley Bassey is THE voice of the James Bond films, I have often wondered what the Cs might have made of it had they been offered a good song. Think Carly Simon's Nobody Does it Better (The Spy Who Loved Me, 1977) and Rita Coolidge's All Time High (Octopussy, 1983) ...

Or not. I believe Lani Hall did "Never Say Never Again" and that, I think failed to chart? It was a long time ago, but I remember thinking that would have been a hit and I didn't see it chart. So, correct me if my momory fails me...

None of Lani's records ever charted in the main Billboard Top 40 chart - but yes, she and Herb performed on "Never Say Never Again, co-produced bt Sergio Mendes.

Harry

When All Time High was out - I remember wishing K & R would have recorded it... Something about the lower regester of Coolidge, reminded me of Karen's - & I was all jealous that she got that song and Karen did not. Oh well... Even though we should never say never - I would imagine, that ship has sailed.

I'm glad someone else has noticed the similarity with Rita Coolidge. Her recording of All Time High is superb but you can almost hear KC singing it ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom