• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Carpenters: Live Rarities DVD Release Jan 15 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

I saw this on Amazon, tried searching the ASIN: B00A3Z1BXC to get more info but nothing came back on a search.
http://www.amazon.com/Carpenters-Li...TF8&qid=1352678762&sr=1-2&keywords=Carpenters

Then I went to Amazon Japan and also found this release, then search the EAN: 9120817151465 and got more details from MVD database.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/Live-Rariti...=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1352768258&sr=1-1

http://mvdb2b.com/s/CarpentersLiveRarities/5146D

I'm sure this is another bootleg but what has me intriged is it states 71 England and 72 Australia. I bet this is the same BBC DVD but why would they list Australia?

Description:
Live in England 71 and Australia 72

Classic original live recordings, making up the very best of Richard and Karen Carpenter, captured on film and stereo sound. Recorded 1971 and 1972
5146D.jpg

Ok, here's a question. I've been looking at this cover and trying my hardest to figure out that background pic of Karen. It looks like she is behind the drums, mic out front? Then I'm looking at how Karen looks, where the heck was that taken from? It sorta reminds me of the video, All you get from love is a love song but Karen was standing for that song.

Ok, here's a question. I've been looking at this cover and trying my hardest to figure out that background pic of Karen. It looks like she is behind the drums, mic out front? Then I'm looking at how Karen looks, where the heck was that taken from? It sorta reminds me of the video, All you get from love is a love song but Karen was standing for that song.

Chris, I think it's a stillshot from the 1976 promo for 'A Kind Of Hush'. Above Richard's shoulder to the right, you can see Karen's arm holding the mic very close to her face, so she's holding it rather than standing under it as in the video for 'Love Song'. That's also not how she was dressed in the video for 'Love Song' as her cardigan concealed her neckline.

This is the closest screenshot I can equate to the watermark photo of her above. The reason I don't think it's the New London performance is that during that concert her neckline was completely covered by her dress. She has a neckerchief on here too but it's less intrusive.

kc5.jpg

Wow, I just checked my LGB and I think you are right Cam89, it sure looks like that pic. That makes it even more odd, that pic is not seen hardly at all, cover pic for this DVD must have been made by a fan who owned the LGB book. :laugh:

Amazon US appears to have the same picture for this DVD now posted.

So who else is going to get this?
I keep saying I won't get burned again but here I go again. :laugh:

I'm pretty sure that background photo was taken at the Carpenters Christmas Concert at CSLB, in December, 1978. The photo is featured in Randy Schmidt's book "Little Girl Blue".

Wow! That's different! You never know where these things will end up. I was so glad to locate the photographer from that 1978 concert and THRILLED when he said he still had the photos! :)

Randy

Much to my surprise, the Carpenters Live Rarities DVD arrived at my door today. Seeing the track list on the back, it appeared not to be yet another version of the BBC broadcast, nor was it the Live at Budokan concert, either.

Sure enough, when I played it, it appeared in glorious black-and-white. It's the live concert broadcast from Australia, 1972. It clocks in at a little over 45 minutes, and includes such songs as the full-length Bacharach/David medley and "Cinderella Rockafella."

I have another version of this concert (I think I got it from YouTube) which is actually about two minutes longer; the DVD leaves out the opening title sequence (on the DVD, "Help" starts part-way into the first verse) and closing credits. The video quality looks exactly the same as the version I downloaded, so I suspect the DVD was made from the same source.

All-in-all, it's a very poor-quality effort. The creators of the DVD didn't even bother to fade in and out at the beginning and end where they cut out the credits.

I received mine today as well, yet another bootleg to add to my collection. How sad that I am starting to collect more bootleg than official DVD's? Is it all my fault? :cry: I simply can't resist a Carpenters release. I'd much rather pay royalties to Richard or proper channels yet what is a fan to do when it's not possible.

Not much to add, it's not great quality sound or visual but since I don't have this concert at all in my collection I will be keeping it. The video is not bad when close ups are shot yet when it pans father back it shows the poor quality. The DVD itself has a nice screen print on it same pic from back cover of DVD. It's nice they kept the introductions and we see the late Frank Pooler. Karen's speaking is left intact before she ends the last song which is nice. No credits....I wonder why???:tsk:

I always thought this was the best quality in 720p I have seen, it looks better than what appears on this new DVD.

Just got my copy today and watched it. The picture quality is poor as mentioned above, but I still enjoyed it a lot. I've heard "Cinderella Rockafella" mentioned on this forum many times, but have never actually heard the song until this DVD. So, to me it was worth the price just to get a "new" song.

I do think it's kind of funny that the front cover highlights "Sometimes" and "Yesterday Once More," neither of which are actually performed on the DVD. How did that happen? LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom