CarpenterS loot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

I've just finished slummin' thru my cities used record shops. I managed to score four HORIZON lp's to great satisfaction. A reel to reel HORIZON and a 69-73 SINGLES reel. While pilfering thru the racks I came across 7 LOVELINES original release cd's. One remastered classic. These are still storebound. I also found another copy of RC"s debut solo lp. That is housebound. I'm collecting "CarpenterS" lp's with the "Grammy Award Winner" sticker affixed to the cover. That collection is coming along fine. I picked up a beautiful single of SING in a mint cond jacket. Fortunately several of these outlets are familiar with my tastes and will frequently set aside all C's related materials. One of the retailers gave me a bang up idea on how to mount and display my 36 copies of HORIZON. I had envisioned something like a giant lp cover but was dazed about how to mount. Problem solved. One day I'll post the completed artwork.

This city venture takes the better part of an afternoon and often yields a bounty of loot. I encourage all of the members here to scout about as well.

Jeff

So, I can see why a person would have two or three copies of something... one to play, one to keep sealed and one extra, but why dozens of copies of the same album? Do you have similar quantities of other records too?

No, I have 3 or 4 mint copies of ea. lp. As far as HORIZON goes the cover is the image of Karen that I met in '78. The multiple copies are for an art project that is intended for a wall display in the shape of a giant lp cover. Much like wall paper if you will. I do set out to collect any fine-to-mint copies of ea. lp release. These are housed in a collection for posterity, collectibility, and subsequent sharing or whatever. In my own way the purchase of a CarpenterS lp, used or what have you is a way of reliving the glory days of initial release. This is a hobby and it satisfies the craving for what is nostalgic and dare I say obsession?

In a sea of records,

Jeff

Well, I'm on vacation this week from work and I'm having a fantastic time doing nothing. :D

Today, I went record shopping and remembered this post by Jeff and thought this would be a perfect place to share my Loot It's great going hunting not knowing what you may stumble upon, in my 3 hours of going through boxes & boxes of memories I ran across some cool stuff. Some Olivia, some other artists but my prized catch is this below. My record dealer found this at a show in Austin, he's always looking out for me. This will be my 2nd Offering LP in my collection. The first is the ochre colored label and cover is not great even with someone's name printed across the top. This one although still little spotty is actually better especially the photo of the duo on the back so crisp this one is. So when he showed me what he found I couldn't believe my eyes, I have never even held a Promo of Offering let alone owned one. So here I have in my collection a white label Promo. Cover in much better condition than my first one. This Promo even sounds better too, very clean & crisp with no detection of any surface noise, I am elated.

My 2nd find was an original 45 of I Need to be In Love backed w/ Sandy, I already had this single but this 45 came from a box of freshly brought in 45's from a person who kept there 45's in perfect condition, this 45 sounds 10 x's better than my previous copy. it's amazing how well something can be preserved when trusted in the hands of the right person.

My 3rd is somewhat Carpenters related. When I saw the title of the 45 I thought it was Carpenters, however it is from Klaatu. This version recorded in 1976 time 3.:20 is the one I have been hearing Richard talk about for years now and finally I have been able to hear what Richard heard when he made his magic. This version of Klaatu is shorter but it is good. I am suprised how much it actually sounds like Carpenters version. Even the intro has that occupants feel to it with interplanetary sounds coming from this 45. Very cool to hear this.

Of course bringing these home I treated them to my record doctor & gave them a nice good cleaning. This was a fun day. Oh memories what memories. My hunt is never complete.

Offering%20Promo%20LP%20Front.jpg

Offering%20Promo%20LP%20Back.jpg

Offering%20Promo%20Label%20side1.jpg

Offering%20Promo%20Label%20side2.jpg

Klaatu-Calling%20Occupants.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom