Carpenters Related Topic: Fleetwood Mac-'Rumours' Doc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris May

Resident ‘Carpenterologist’
Staff member
Last night I had the opportunity to watch the Rhino Records documentary on the Fleetwood Mac 'Rumours' release. Have any of you guys SEEN THIS?????

Man, I was thinking that this would be an incredible approach to a Carpenters documentary. They basically went song-by-song interviewing members of the group, with their producers in the studio where the album was recorded. The great thing about this is that the producers were doing playbacks of each of the songs, live at the board with the original masters, fading parts in and out as they are describing how all of the instrumentation and vocals were put together.

The thought of Richard sitting at a console with a Carpenters master, as he's fading tracks in and out letting all of us know how he and Karen pieced everything together would be a Carpenters fan's dream! -Chris

I have that RUMOURS doc. among several others in that series. My other favorite is Phil Collins' FACE VALUE. It really gives an insight into how much work goes into a recording.

I agree that a Carpenters one would be very good. With all the detail Richard goes into in the liner notes, you'd think something like this would be right up his alley. Wonder if Rhino has ever approached him about it? I'd love to see on on A SONG FOR YOU.

If you're referring to the Classic Albums series, most of those are quite good. I don't yet have the "Rumours" installment, nor do I have the "Songs In The Key Of Life", but I do have Phil Collins' "Face Value", Steely Dan's "Aja", Metallica's "Black Album" (overdubs done at A&M studios!)...all of which are good. Slightly less good are U2's "Joshua Tree" and The Who's "Who's Next", as they don't go as deeply into the creation of the songs on the album the way the other ones do.

Since it's based on albums, I would really like to see "A Song For You" as a Classic Album. The tale of Tony Peluso's guitar part on "Goodbye To Love" has always been an interesting one to me. :)

Neil - save your money on "Songs in the Key of Life." I have it on VHS and it just didn't float my boat. If you want to view it I'd be happy to mail it to you. It just didn't get into the nuts & bolts of the recordings like I hoped it would...probably because Stevie did most of the playing and singing by himself.

Back to Carps - It would be fun to hear about the process of creating that "Intermission" track too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom