Carpenters "Ticket To Ride" Japan CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Mills

That was funny....like the dark vomited up
I've just noticed something odd about my "Ticket To Ride" CD. It states in the liner notes that :

"This album was previously released under the title "Offering". It has been re-designed and re-titled "Ticket To Ride". However, the tunes remain the same".

But my Japanese CD also includes a 3:52 version of "(They Long To Be) Close To You". And on the CD it says that Jack Daugherty produced and orchestrated the album. That can't be right, Jack Daugherty may have been credited with producer status on the first four released albums, but he never orchestrated any of them. Did I purchase a bootleg version? (Catalogue no. D32Y3080 Made by Canyon Records Inc. Japan)

Harry can give the final word, but the liner notes are correct -- this is what was printed on the back of the Ticket to Ride LP. And, the production credit is indeed Jack Daugherty but you're right, Richard did all the arranging. Pony Canyon is a legitimate Japanese imprint but I'm not sure about the catalog number. The only CD I have of that album is the U.S. pressing. I'd never heard of "Close To You" being used as a bonus track before.

"Close To You" is inserted at track 7 between "Turn Away" (track 6), and "Ticket To Ride" (track 8.)
"Close To You " doesn't fade out as you would normally expect, hence the slightly longer playing time, it stops just before the drums would kick in on the extended album version.

I remember seeing a Japanese import of TICKET TO RIDE a long time ago, and indeed it did contain "Close To You" as an extra track. It was in the early days of CDs and imports. Since I already had both the CLOSE TO YOU and TICKET TO RIDE albums on CD, I didn't see a point to buying it. Now I wish I had.

This is apparently also the same CD that "London Robert" reported as having "THE CARPENTERS" printed on the cover. I've updated our entry for OFFERING/TICKET TO RIDE to include a mention of the extra track.

Thanks!

Carpenters+-+Ticket+To+Ride+-+CD+ALBUM-540162.jpg

Harry

I bought my "Ticket To Ride" CD about 15 years ago from Virgin Records, but never liked the fact that "Close To You " was included, and often wondered if it was an official release or just a cheap knock off version.

Looks like it was a "legit" version with the big hit single included to goose sales. I'll bet it was released AFTER the Close To You album had peaked in sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom