Carpenters UK Radio Shows

I’m travelling to Manchester early tomorrow so will listen to the 1981 interviews on the train, I’ve wanted to hear these for years! Thanks Billy for the uploads.

I’ve listened through a few of these today, they’re really superb. Tony Blackburn seemed very excited to meet them, he fired questions at them like a machine gun :laugh:. The Michael Aspel interview was even better, thanks to his calm and relaxing interviewing technique (he’s just as good as a TV chat show host). Bit of a cringe moment right at the opening though, when he asked where they’d been for the last three years. That’s at least twice during their UK visit they were asked that question. As usual, they papered over the cracks :rolleyes:

Richard mentioned at one point during the Aspel interview that they “cut a lot more tracks than made the final album”. Most of the time, when artists say that, it always makes me hungry to hear what was recorded but not released. How lucky we are now that we have since heard many of those tracks on subsequent releases, which doesn’t happen with a lot of artists.

One that I didn’t notice initially in the list of links was the 1983 tribute - a broadcast I’ve never even heard of before. Really beautifully done by UK DJ Roger Scott.

What unexpected treats we’ve had, thank you again Billy!

So I'm guessing the 26th Dec 1981 Christmas commentary is one of the last radio interviews they did.

So I'm guessing the 26th Dec 1981 Christmas commentary is one of the last radio interviews they did.

I’ve not listened all the way through so not sure if there are any clues as to a recording date, but it was probably done during their UK promotional tour in October 1981. It wasn’t “phoned in” from the US, they’re in the studio for this interview.

Billy, thanks so much for ALL you put on your channel. I'm going do a thread with my story, but let me say that people like you have allowed a "newby" like me get up to speed so quickly. People rank on "social media" all the time but I believe, like most things, it's how you use it. I have found that Carpenters fans have done a great job keeping the legacy going. Billy, your work is really appreciated!

Billy, thanks so much for ALL you put on your channel. I'm going do a thread with my story, but let me say that people like you have allowed a "newby" like me get up to speed so quickly. People rank on "social media" all the time but I believe, like most things, it's how you use it. I have found that Carpenters fans have done a great job keeping the legacy going. Billy, your work is really appreciated!
Hi, I'm so pleased to know that the work I've put in over the years is appreciated. Thank you so much for the post and for your very kind words. Looking forward to reading your story and how you discovered their music...

Back
Top Bottom