• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

🎷 AotW: Horizon Charlie Haden - THE GOLDEN NUMBER (SP-727)

Horizon label releases.

How Would You Rate This Album?

• ***** (Best)

Votes: 1 25.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• * (Worst)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Never Heard This Album

• Total voters

Captain Bacardi

Charlie Haden
THE GOLDEN NUMBER

A&M/Horizon SP-727

sp727.jpg

Released 1977

Format: Vinyl/Cassette/CD

Songs & Musicians:
  • 1. Out Of Focus (Charlie Haden) - 7:27[list:7d99a48755]Charlie Haden - Basses
    Don Cherry - Trumpet and Flutes
    Recorded by Baker Bigsby with assistance from Geoff Sykes at Kendun Recorders, Burbank, California, June 7, 1976.
    Produced by Ed Michel

2. Shepp's Way (Charlie Haden) - 12:07
  • Charlie Haden - Bass
    Archie Shepp - Tenor Saxophone
    Recorded by Tony May at Generation Sound, N.Y.C., December 20, 1976.
    Produced by John Snyder

3. Turnaround (Ornette Coleman) - 7:52
  • Charlie Haden - Bass
    Hampton Hawes - Piano
    Recorded by Baker Bigsby at Village Recorder, Los Angeles, August 21, 1976.
    Produced by Ed Michel

4. The Golden Number (Charlie Haden) - 12:28
  • Charlie Haden - Bass
    Ornette Coleman - Trumpet
    Recorded by Tony May at Generation Sound, N.Y.C., December 19, 1976.
    Produced by John Snyder
[/list:u:7d99a48755]

Mixed by Baker Bigsby, Ed Michel (for V.P.I.) and John Snyder at Village Recorder, Los Angeles, March 14 and 15, 1977.
Mastered by Bernie Grundman.

Art Direction: Roland Young
Design: Phil Shima
Front Cover Illustration: Lou Beach
Photos: John Snyder and Joy Bryan Koenig
Liner notes by Charlie Haden, Ornette Coleman, Hampton Hawes, Archie Shepp and Don Cherry.

Capt. Bacardi

Another interesting duet album by bassist Charlie Haden, exploring more of a free jazz concept. There's a couple of interesting twists here, with Hampton Hawes playing on an Ornette Coleman tune, while Ornette plays trumpet on a Haden song. The highlight is Hawes on Ornette's classic "Turnaround", which is actually the only straight-ahead piece on this album. Archie Shepp is a total joy to listen to on "Shepp's Way", a very bluesy piece. And while Ornette doesn't have a great range on trumpet, his lines are similar to what he does on sax. Don Cherry switches between trumpet and flute on "Out Of Focus". I really liked the overall feel of this album, especially the energy that comes out of Haden himself. 4 stars.

Capt. Bacardi

Oh, this is the Bass as a Lead Instrument... I remember another album Haden did like this, too...

Bass and Trumpet..., Bass and Piano..., Bass and Saxophone...,....

Dave

I wouldn't say that this is a bass lead per se, but a lot of interaction with the other respective instruments, just as he did on his Closeness album (SP-710).

Capt. Bacardi

Charlie Haden is a really inventive and adventurous musician - he did a wonderful album of old gospel spirituals with pianist Hank Jones. I don't know this album at all; my only question would be why there's a drawing of Janet Reno on the cover....:)

Wow, that's an image I didn't need! :D

But this album is great. It can be challenging at times, particularly on the title track with Ornette Coleman playing trumpet, but there are a couple of gems, highlighted by Hampton Hawes appearance on Ornette's "Turnaround" and "Shepp's Way" with Archie Shepp. Pretty hip stuff.

Capt. Bacardi

Back
Top Bottom