• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Chris Montez: All Time Greatest Hits (DCC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
Before I write up a formal review, I just wanted to comment on this CD I just got in the mail today. This Chris Montez compilation covers his years at Monogram and A&M, with ten tracks from each era. If you've only heard A&M's versions of these tracks, you're in for a treat...these are simply much better.

Of interest here is that some of the tracks are remixed. For "Call Me", few are aware that the 'crowd' noises were not on the mono version. In fact, the original mix reels for the stereo and mono album of The More I See You/Call Me are long gone, and all that remains is a stereo tape copy made for Columbia House! The tracks on this compilation are a lot cleaner as a result--they're remixed from original 3- and 4-track tapes. On "Call Me", it will be a little strange to hear it without the crowd noises, and in real stereo for the first time--the original on the stereo album is actually fake stereo! In essence, all of the A&M tracks sound so much better now, clean and vibrant.

The one track that sounds a bit rough is "The More I See You", which has a more tape hiss than the others. That album was recorded mainly at Sunset Sound on 4-track. "The More I See You", however, was recorded on 3-track at Gold Star (with a possible bounce from 3-track to 3-track to add more parts, like the vocal overdubs). "Call Me" was actually recorded at RCA studios on 3-track (the instrumental part in the left channel), and the vocals (center) and hand claps were overdubbed at Gold Star. Seems like they drove those tapes all over L.A. to record them! :D "There Will Never Be Another You", as released here, is a hit single version that has never been released in stereo before: this one has lyrics during the chorus, not the "la la la" that we're used to from the LP.

The Monogram tracks also sound wonderful, especially given their age. Other than "Let's Dance", I hadn't heard any of the others. Nice clean punchy sound on these!

The only caveat is that this disc has been out of print. DCC Blowout ( http://www.dccblowout.com ) still has copies, and you can still find a few on eBay as well. Well worth it though--a unique and good-sounding version of Montez's best. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom