Christina Aguilera covering a C's tune?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony

Word is that Aguilera has recorded her own version of "A Song For You." Any chance it will be as tasteful as the C's rendition? Nah, didn't think so.

Tony

Probably not, but it might not be that bad: uunlike many of the singers of her age bracket, Christina Aguilera CAN sing.

Don't be surprised if she patterns her rendition not after The Carpenters as much as another classic arrangement, that of Donny Hathaway; many other singers (including Natalie Cole) have done the song with a nod toward his version........

Tony said:
Word is that Aguilera has recorded her own version of "A Song For You." Any chance it will be as tasteful as the C's rendition? Nah, didn't think so.

Tony

God I hope not.

She is a much better singer than Britney and rest of those weeny boppers.

Christina & A Song For You .... :thumbsdn:

Cripes ....the state of so called modern singers ....I must lie down in the darkroom BEFORE hearing this track .....something to avoid ..... :wink:

Peter ...in the darkroom ....

Turns out the version with Christina Aguilera singing "A Song For You" is a track from Herbie Hancock's new CD, POSSIBILITIES - I got the song list off of his website (I saw him in A TV interview specifically talking about Christina's good pitch and musicality- hmm)

1. Stitched Up featuring John Mayer
2. Safiatou featuring Santana and Angélique Kidjo
3. A Song For You featuring Christina Aguilera
4. I Do It For Your Love featuring Paul Simon
5. Hush Hush featuring Annie Lennox
6. Sister Moon featuring Sting
7. When Love Comes To Town featuring Joss Stone and Jonny Lang
8. Don't Explain featuring Damien Rice and Lisa Hannigan
9. I Just Called To Say I Love You featuring Raul Midón
10. Gelo Na Montanha featuring Trey Anastasio

I don't know all these names, but it sounds interesting....

JTCW

Are these all supposed to be coevrs? Other than "A Song for You" and "I Just Called To Say I Love You" (Stevie Wonder) I can't say that I am familiar with any of these other songs. Unless the "Hush, Hush" by Annie Lennox is old Patti Page song "Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte."

Interesting mix of singers though... A-List old school (Santana, Sting, Annie Lennox, Paul Simon) alongside relative newbies (Christina Aguilera, John Mayer, Joss Stone, Trey Anastasio, Jonny Lang). Christina, I mean, Xtina does have a great voice even if she is a big old skank! John Mayer, Joss Stone and Jonny Lang are legitimate talents as well. Don't know much about any of the others.

Hi all.

"A Song for You" is one that has been covered by several artists I have in my collection, and no performance EVER comes close to being as classy and sophisticated as the Carpenters' version.

The worst cover I have is by Cybill Shepherd (yes, THAT Cybill Shepherd). She is quite a fine singer, and has several really good albums, but her cover of "A Song For You" is quite boring. It just lays there and never goes anywhere.

Michael Ball does an overblown version on one of his albums. The best cover I have is by Sheena Easton, but her version still doesn't even come close...

David

Ray Charles did a version that was quite nice. Donny's is an absolute classic and, as much as I love Karen's reading, Donny's (in my opinion) is absolutely untouchable by anyone. That's why so many cover his reading of it. Many think it's the best and I'm inclined to agree.

Ed

Ron Fair was the A&R man at RCA who signed her and he executive produced her first two records. He was never her manager, IIRC.

Ed

I should also mention that singer Mick Hucknall has also covered A Song For You on Simply Red's latest album, Simplified', out on October 17th. Now this one I REALLY want to hear - Mick is one of the finest white soul singers of his generation.

http://simplyred.com/listeningparty.asp

Stephen

One of the songs in the album [I Do It For Your Love-Paul Simon] was recorded by Karen for her solo album but remains an unreleased/unfinished track.

I never realized what a "standard" this song was and how many people have covered it.

Michael Buble does a version of it on his current album "It's Time."

I also have a version of it by Cher from back in the 1970s. It's on her double-disc collection "The Way of Love" which highlights her Kapp, MCA and Casablanca years. I'm not sure which of her original albums it was on, though.

newvillefan said:
I should also mention that singer Mick Hucknall has also covered A Song For You on Simply Red's latest album, Simplified', out on October 17th. Now this one I REALLY want to hear - Mick is one of the finest white soul singers of his generation.

Agreed--Hucknall has an expressive voice. His take on "If You Don't Know Me By Now" (from A New Flame) is frighteningly close in feel to the original. (I also like the Joe Sample guest solo on "Enough", on that same album...which is like a song cycle.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom