Of all of the Carpenters' songs with Karen as lead vocalist, what's unique about their cover of "Breaking Up Is Hard to Do"?

Without A Song

All this talk about the Carpenters-Neil Sedaka incident in 1975 got me thinking about the cover version of Neil's best known song Karen & Richard recorded and then released the following year. Once I listened to it again, I noticed something different about it compared to other Carpenters tunes where Karen takes the spotlight vocally. Anyone else know what it is? If no one guesses it today, I'll reveal the answer Tuesday.

As for the song itself, it's a quality cover, though like many other Carpenters fans, I wish Karen and Richard had done a slow, ballad version of the tune. I would say as well, because I like having both a fast and slow version of this classic song. It's a rare tune that can work in both tempos.

It's either that they recorded her in a deep, dark dungeon in some ancient, medieval castle in the cold, damp highlands of Scotland, thus achieving that unique, multi-layered echoing effect...

Or, the title of this song is almost the same phrase as the line in the Bacharach/Davis song "Make it Easy on Yourself" (..."cause, breaking up is so very hard to do"...)

It was truly ironic that she sang either of these songs, given her own personal experience in the romantic relationship department...

We have a winner! kprather gave the right answer. "Breaking Up Is Hard to Do" is the only Carpenters song where Karen sings lead, but the song begins with Richard singing. I don't consider "Do You Hear Want I Hear" to be a Karen lead vocal but one where she and Richard both sang lead.

By the way, I loved how JohnFB noted the similarity of the title of "Breaking Up Is Hard to Do" with the lyric in "Make It Easy on Yourself." Ironically, Neil Sedaka's original version of his signature song came out the same month as "Make It Easy on Yourself," June 1962.

"Breaking Up Is Hard to Do" is the only Carpenters song where Karen sings lead, but the song begins with Richard singing. I don't consider "Do You Hear Want I Hear" to be a Karen lead vocal but one where she and Richard both sang lead.

It really isn't.

But congrats kprather! :)

Yeah I was wrong. Good job @kprather ! was thinking that Karen sings the entire song in her backup vocals voice. And it is in Neil Sedaka's key not Karen's key.

I was also wishing this song should had its’ own thread when I was reading the other thread about 1975!

This is one of my favorite Carpenters cuts because it so upbeat and they were having so much fun with it. Doug Strawn makes them belly laugh at the fade-out and it’s a great way to end the track. I’m glad they kept that part in.

Back
Top Bottom