Long-time Carpenters fan says....

TheVoice

Where do I begin? I have been a Carpenters fan since the late 70's and early 80's. I instantly fell in love with their music but especially Karen's voice. Furthermore, I, too, was one of the many young men who fell in love with Karen....She was beautiful both inside and out. I have read all the books and I use to own all their LP's and now have all of their CD's.

The two music "prodigies" and "legends" I go to first and play the most is the Beatles and the Carpenters. True geniuses. No "auto tune" crap, no ripping off clothes, screaming at the top of their lungs with high notes, over-the-top stage dramatics or pyrotechnics. These two musical groups were true artists.

We MUST keep the legacy of the Carpenters going. We need to get the word out to as many people, especially the newer generations, as we can. We must petition the national radio stations to start playing the Carpenter's music again. It is so sad that Karen and Richard have been forgotten by these stations and it's a shame. Karen was and is 'THE VOICE". She was a "diamond in the rough", a one-off, and we can keep going here. She was also known as "one-take Karen". Not only did she have the greatest female voice ever, and always will, but she was also the greatest female drummer ever. Imagine have that "voice" and those "drumming skills" at the same time and do both with perfection?

It is great that the word is getting out, especially on youtube, about this forgotten legend and that the Carpenters are seeing a resurgence in popularity. My goodness can you imagine all those Carpenter songs being replayed today? We need their music (and the Beatles) so much today in the society we live in. Yes, IMHO, the Beatles had it right -- Love and Peace - was the way and the Carpenters sang about love.

Richard was the brains and the genius behind Karen just like Sonny Bono was the brains behind Cher. Richard should also get his due credit for the brilliant arranger, composer, song writer and (not a bad back up vocal either) that he was and is. He, too, has been forgotten and never really got what he deserved.

Karen, though, was the main element, or became the main element and focal point of the Carpenters. OMG, that "voice", "her drumming", and how she later became skillful in other ways. If she had lived, she truly would have gone on to dominate the movies, musicals, TV shows, etc. Karen could sing the telephone book and make each song her own. If you listen to some of their songs like "ticket to ride" and "california dreamin", the Carpenter's version was so much better. Very unique and had their musical signature. Both of these songs were so much better than the original versions from the original artists.

When you have had a bad day, for whatever reason, there is no better therapy then so sit back and relax, dim the lights, maybe a bit of wine and crank up the sound and hear "THE VOICE". Many of their songs have that "chills up the spine" effect like: "Ordinary Fool", "Solitaire", "This Masquerade", "Little Girl Blue", "Sometimes", "Someday", "A Song for You", "Now"....and the list goes on and on.

One thing that I feel Karen and Richard missed out on was that they had the chance to create what could have been the "greatest American songbook" LP in history and, I am sure, would have been the greatest LP ever!!! Karen was a torch singer. Her low register "in the basement" contralto was her signature and Richard knew that. No one could have created songs for Karen except for Richard. They were two peas in a pod. If only they had created say a two-album greatest hits of the American Songbook, can you imagine?

Although I agree that Karen should have been allowed to go solo and make her own album, and she did, I disagree with the decision to shelf it. On the other hand, although I did like a few songs from the Ramone production, most of it was not good. Why? Because, it was not Karen's vocal signature. The songs were too fast, too disco and concentrated more on Karen's high notes than the low range. That album was more in line with a singer like the late ONJ and close friend to Karen. I feel that it is important for an artist to spread their wings and go solo. Karen needed to find out for herself what the fan reaction and music critics would have to her solo album and this feedback would have helped Karen to decide her future path. I am sure that was tough on Richard. Karen also needed that solo album venture for her own self esteem and confidence no matter what the outcome.

To this day and with everything I have read and learned about the Carpenters, their "legacy" was created by the entire group, but, mainly the sister and brother duo. Why? They were both musical prodigies that were destined to make legendary music. Since they both grew up together in the Carpenter "musical" household exposed to all that great music from the heyday of music and the fact that they were both just "diamonds in the rough" like the Beatles or say Brian Wilson.

When you hear a Carpenter's song with the first few vocal lyrics, you know exactly who it is - Karen - the voice. When you hear a Carpenter's song, you also hear Richard's brilliant, genius, prodigy arrangements, composing, and songwriting. Of course we don't want to forget John Bettis who co-wrote many of the Carpenters greatest hits and all the band members who were also true musical artists.

Karen left two legacies: the Carpenter's music, especially her "voice", and, unfortunately for her, she unwillingly made the ultimate sacrifice, in her passing, to help put the spotlight on "anorexia nervosa" which helped to save many women from ending up like Karen. Her passing also helped advance learning and education on the horrible mental disease. We must continue the legacy of the Carpenters and especially the legacy of Karen going forward. Karen had forgotten more than what so-called singers (divas) know today. Listen and watch Karen as she sings "Superstar" -- chills up the spine. What a great song written by the late, great Leon Russell who also wrote their "A Song for You" and "This Masquerade".

Listen and watch Karen at age 16 and then in her early 20's and see how great her voice already was and her great drumming skills! IMHO, part of the magic here was that both Karen and Richard were "perfectionist" and, unfortunately, IMHO, played a part in Karen's demise and for some of Richard's early issues. When you have that gift and then you add the "perfectionist" piece to it, well no wonder they created a legacy. What are the odds of a brother and sister both having talent "off the charts" like that? Have you ever seen Karen's drum solo routine that she use to do on TV specials where she would go from one percussion instrument to another with perfection? No one does that today. How about their over-dubbing technique? I highly recommend getting and listening to the Carpenters "Essentials" CD's which includes all their works and much of the early material.

The Carpenters could have easily become country music stars and legends. Several of their hits like "Top of the World", "Sweet, Sweet, Smile" and "Jambalya" would easily had become country hits today. Of course, IMHO, the Carpenters were in their groove with soft pop and torch songs. Karen's voice was at the same level or even beyond Ella Fitzgerald, Barbara Streisand, Rosemary Clooney and many more of the greats. But, Karen, "the voice", is the one I would pick and rather listen to. Her voice was pure honey and angelic. Pure raw talent yet refined. Karen sang to you (the audience) and not at you and having that low "in the basement' register and the melancholy layer was and will always be unmatched.

Let's keep the legacy of the Carpenters going. Let's keep the legacy of "the voice", KC, going and lets get it out there to the new generations and the older generations who may have forgotten. In today's society, we need to hear and feel the Carpenters sound more than ever. Karen's voice is therapuetic in so many ways. I highly recommend that you watch on youtube the Carpenters 1980 "Music, Music, Music" TV special. Wow, talk about perfection and artistic masterpiece and really showcases Karen's voice at its best. As I have noted on youtube: THE VOICE, THE DRUMMER, THE LEGACY!!!

Karen could sing the telephone book and make each song her own.
Nice to read about your passion. There was a lot of “serendipity” going on. Serendipity #1: Karen happened to have a brother, who happened to be a musical genius, who invited “his little sister” to join him in a trio. Serendipity #2: I believe I read, in the garage studio, it was difficult (or too expensive?) to schedule other musicians, so they thought, “why don’t we just record all of the parts ourselves”? Was it because of finances or convenience?? Whatever the case, it was the beginning of an iconic "sound." But I’ve wondered, would Karen’s voice ever have been discovered if she hadn’t had a brother named Richard?

Great statement, “she could sing the phonebook and make it her own." Of course, we all know that that is true and not just hyperbole. It is entirely provable by the twenty-two second song they wrote and recorded entitled, “Intermission” where they sing about having to take a break to go to the bathroom, and, it is incredibly beautiful...... No, gorgeous!!! I laughed out-loud when I first read the words.

Where do I begin? I have been a Carpenters fan since the late 70's and early 80's. I instantly fell in love with their music but especially Karen's voice. Furthermore, I, too, was one of the many young men who fell in love with Karen....She was beautiful both inside and out. I have read all the books and I use to own all their LP's and now have all of their CD's.

The two music "prodigies" and "legends" I go to first and play the most is the Beatles and the Carpenters. True geniuses. No "auto tune" crap, no ripping off clothes, screaming at the top of their lungs with high notes, over-the-top stage dramatics or pyrotechnics. These two musical groups were true artists.

We MUST keep the legacy of the Carpenters going. We need to get the word out to as many people, especially the newer generations, as we can. We must petition the national radio stations to start playing the Carpenter's music again. It is so sad that Karen and Richard have been forgotten by these stations and it's a shame. Karen was and is 'THE VOICE". She was a "diamond in the rough", a one-off, and we can keep going here. She was also known as "one-take Karen". Not only did she have the greatest female voice ever, and always will, but she was also the greatest female drummer ever. Imagine have that "voice" and those "drumming skills" at the same time and do both with perfection?

It is great that the word is getting out, especially on youtube, about this forgotten legend and that the Carpenters are seeing a resurgence in popularity. My goodness can you imagine all those Carpenter songs being replayed today? We need their music (and the Beatles) so much today in the society we live in. Yes, IMHO, the Beatles had it right -- Love and Peace - was the way and the Carpenters sang about love.

Richard was the brains and the genius behind Karen just like Sonny Bono was the brains behind Cher. Richard should also get his due credit for the brilliant arranger, composer, song writer and (not a bad back up vocal either) that he was and is. He, too, has been forgotten and never really got what he deserved.

Karen, though, was the main element, or became the main element and focal point of the Carpenters. OMG, that "voice", "her drumming", and how she later became skillful in other ways. If she had lived, she truly would have gone on to dominate the movies, musicals, TV shows, etc. Karen could sing the telephone book and make each song her own. If you listen to some of their songs like "ticket to ride" and "california dreamin", the Carpenter's version was so much better. Very unique and had their musical signature. Both of these songs were so much better than the original versions from the original artists.

When you have had a bad day, for whatever reason, there is no better therapy then so sit back and relax, dim the lights, maybe a bit of wine and crank up the sound and hear "THE VOICE". Many of their songs have that "chills up the spine" effect like: "Ordinary Fool", "Solitaire", "This Masquerade", "Little Girl Blue", "Sometimes", "Someday", "A Song for You", "Now"....and the list goes on and on.

One thing that I feel Karen and Richard missed out on was that they had the chance to create what could have been the "greatest American songbook" LP in history and, I am sure, would have been the greatest LP ever!!! Karen was a torch singer. Her low register "in the basement" contralto was her signature and Richard knew that. No one could have created songs for Karen except for Richard. They were two peas in a pod. If only they had created say a two-album greatest hits of the American Songbook, can you imagine?

Although I agree that Karen should have been allowed to go solo and make her own album, and she did, I disagree with the decision to shelf it. On the other hand, although I did like a few songs from the Ramone production, most of it was not good. Why? Because, it was not Karen's vocal signature. The songs were too fast, too disco and concentrated more on Karen's high notes than the low range. That album was more in line with a singer like the late ONJ and close friend to Karen. I feel that it is important for an artist to spread their wings and go solo. Karen needed to find out for herself what the fan reaction and music critics would have to her solo album and this feedback would have helped Karen to decide her future path. I am sure that was tough on Richard. Karen also needed that solo album venture for her own self esteem and confidence no matter what the outcome.

To this day and with everything I have read and learned about the Carpenters, their "legacy" was created by the entire group, but, mainly the sister and brother duo. Why? They were both musical prodigies that were destined to make legendary music. Since they both grew up together in the Carpenter "musical" household exposed to all that great music from the heyday of music and the fact that they were both just "diamonds in the rough" like the Beatles or say Brian Wilson.

When you hear a Carpenter's song with the first few vocal lyrics, you know exactly who it is - Karen - the voice. When you hear a Carpenter's song, you also hear Richard's brilliant, genius, prodigy arrangements, composing, and songwriting. Of course we don't want to forget John Bettis who co-wrote many of the Carpenters greatest hits and all the band members who were also true musical artists.

Karen left two legacies: the Carpenter's music, especially her "voice", and, unfortunately for her, she unwillingly made the ultimate sacrifice, in her passing, to help put the spotlight on "anorexia nervosa" which helped to save many women from ending up like Karen. Her passing also helped advance learning and education on the horrible mental disease. We must continue the legacy of the Carpenters and especially the legacy of Karen going forward. Karen had forgotten more than what so-called singers (divas) know today. Listen and watch Karen as she sings "Superstar" -- chills up the spine. What a great song written by the late, great Leon Russell who also wrote their "A Song for You" and "This Masquerade".

Listen and watch Karen at age 16 and then in her early 20's and see how great her voice already was and her great drumming skills! IMHO, part of the magic here was that both Karen and Richard were "perfectionist" and, unfortunately, IMHO, played a part in Karen's demise and for some of Richard's early issues. When you have that gift and then you add the "perfectionist" piece to it, well no wonder they created a legacy. What are the odds of a brother and sister both having talent "off the charts" like that? Have you ever seen Karen's drum solo routine that she use to do on TV specials where she would go from one percussion instrument to another with perfection? No one does that today. How about their over-dubbing technique? I highly recommend getting and listening to the Carpenters "Essentials" CD's which includes all their works and much of the early material.

The Carpenters could have easily become country music stars and legends. Several of their hits like "Top of the World", "Sweet, Sweet, Smile" and "Jambalya" would easily had become country hits today. Of course, IMHO, the Carpenters were in their groove with soft pop and torch songs. Karen's voice was at the same level or even beyond Ella Fitzgerald, Barbara Streisand, Rosemary Clooney and many more of the greats. But, Karen, "the voice", is the one I would pick and rather listen to. Her voice was pure honey and angelic. Pure raw talent yet refined. Karen sang to you (the audience) and not at you and having that low "in the basement' register and the melancholy layer was and will always be unmatched.

Let's keep the legacy of the Carpenters going. Let's keep the legacy of "the voice", KC, going and lets get it out there to the new generations and the older generations who may have forgotten. In today's society, we need to hear and feel the Carpenters sound more than ever. Karen's voice is therapuetic in so many ways. I highly recommend that you watch on youtube the Carpenters 1980 "Music, Music, Music" TV special. Wow, talk about perfection and artistic masterpiece and really showcases Karen's voice at its best. As I have noted on youtube: THE VOICE, THE DRUMMER, THE LEGACY!!!
Fully agree. Why are they not in the rock n roll hall of fame? I believe if all the carpenter fans world wide would sign a petition asking this to be considered we just may accomplish it😃

Well, considering the often less than mediocre company they would be keeping I'm not too sure there would be much honor or prestige in being voted into the R&R HOF - this would be a recognition of rather dubious distinction anymore, if it ever was a worthy honor...

But then, all of the other major awards - Oscar's, Emmys, Grammys, Tony's, etc. - have been suffering from the same precipitous decline recently also, to the point of being not only meaningless but more of a sick joke than anything else...

Well, considering the often less than mediocre company they would be keeping I'm not too sure there would be much honor or prestige in being voted into the R&R HOF - this would be a recognition of rather dubious distinction anymore, if it ever was a worthy honor...

But then, all of the other major awards - Oscar's, Emmys, Grammys, Tony's, etc. - have been suffering from the same precipitous decline recently also, to the point of being not only meaningless but more of a sick joke than anything else...
Maybe this goes in line with kind of what's happening with Sirius XM 70s station? If they keep it up, that is. Harry said 'All radio is heavily researched, so I would imagine that in testing, Carpenters are perhaps not showing as high negatives as much anymore. (?)'. My point is perhaps people are so fed up with the garbage that is everywhere, they now hear a Carpenters song and think 'hmm, that's actually kind of nice'.

…and Carpenters “Gold” has been back on iTunes Top 200 the last 3 weeks. All this talk, book, documentary, and anniversary of Karen’s passing, has hopefully gained lots of new fans around the world. Today it’s at its highest position at #60. It tends to sell better on the weekends when most are able to listen to it in full, I’m guessing?

..'. My point is perhaps people are so fed up with the garbage that is everywhere, they now hear a Carpenters song and think 'hmm, that's actually kind of nice'.
Much more than "kind of nice", if one judges by the comments under their videos on YouTube and the reactions from those "Reactors" on YT allegedly hearing their music for the first time & who are reviewing it in real time - it's not only next to impossible to find any kind of negative comment or reaction, it's really difficult to find any that aren't raving or praising the duo to the hilt - the reactors call it "going down the Carpenters rabbit-hole"...there is one cute, enthusiastic young lady whose jaw literally dropped the first time she watched the official "Superstar" video and couldn't speak for a little while when she went to say something about it...and then she was shocked again when she next watched the "Rainy Days and Mondays" video and first saw Karen singing while drumming...she was having a hard time "getting her head around" the colossal talent on display...most of these reactors start off watching "Close to You" and are hooked, and then move on to "We've Only Just Begun" and are mesmerized and totally enthralled...this is basically all it takes for a full-out addiction!

The HOF isn't mediocre; Carpenters just aren't in it. The HOF is home to incredible legends - a list of whom would go on for days. Denigrating the HOF denigrates them and I don't know how fair that is. Rolling Stone has never been kind to them either so why would they start now? Further, in spite of how we might feel, Carpenters are very much yesterday's news. A few books aimed at fans and a volume in the Philharmonic series (others were done at this point too) doesn't change that - no matter what all of that means to us.

It goes without saying that we're all fans of Carpenters; I am too. However, we represent a small group and in the grand scheme, we just aren't that important. I'm just glad for the stream of material we've been getting - even if the public at large doesn't really care.

Ed

The HOF isn't mediocre; Carpenters just aren't in it. The HOF is home to incredible legends - a list of whom would go on for days. Denigrating the HOF denigrates them and I don't know how fair that is. Rolling Stone has never been kind to them either so why would they start now? Further, in spite of how we might feel, Carpenters are very much yesterday's news. A few books aimed at fans and a volume in the Philharmonic series (others were done at this point too) doesn't change that - no matter what all of that means to us.

It goes without saying that we're all fans of Carpenters; I am too. However, we represent a small group and in the grand scheme, we just aren't that important. I'm just glad for the stream of material we've been getting - even if the public at large doesn't really care.

Ed
I think most of us have come to similar conclusions, such as how few devoted Carpenters fans there are, and, certainly the enormous popularity of it being very much of a time gone by, but I would argue that Carpenters aren't merely only 'yesterday's news', however.

I have an 'oldies' station I listen to when in the car, used to be 60s and 70s, now boasts as being a 70s/80s station, although they will sneak in a Simon and Garfunkel or Beatles song once in a while... But I will hear the same song several times a day, Eddie Money 'Two Tickets to Paradise' - sometimes 3 times in one day. Oddly that song only hit 22 on the top 100 during it's release. 'Don't You Want Me' by Human League is also put on repeat on there, which I find unlistenable.
It just seems to me, that Carpenters music is more timeless than those particular songs, and many others like it. It does seem more lasting. I am trying to be objective here. It seems that way to me because of the immense musicality of it. It doesn't have a 'cheap' or gimmicky essence to it.

The Carpenters Christmas music alone is something that makes Carpenters more than merely 'yesterday's news'.

You do have a point, and I get it. But it does seem to be that the music they crafted, they did so with the intent of making timeless quality music, and for the most part, they succeeded.

It goes without saying that we're all fans of Carpenters; I am too. However, we represent a small group and in the grand scheme, we just aren't that important....
Sure, we're a small group, but "in the grand scheme" what we're doing is vitally important: preserving and promoting the music of Carpenters for present and future good music lovers everywhere, no matter how many or few at any given moment...the music deserves to live indefinitely. I'm honored and thrilled by everyone's company here helping to carry the load.

Sure, we're a small group, but "in the grand scheme" what we're doing is vitally important: preserving and promoting the music of Carpenters for present and future good music lovers everywhere, no matter how many or few at any given moment...the music deserves to live indefinitely. I'm honored and thrilled by everyone's company here helping to carry the load.
@JohnFB I am truly in awe of what the members, staff, admin and moderators know and do every day at the A&M Forum community to maintain the many topics of music interests, and in particular what you do to keep the Carpenters legacy thriving. I appreciate being a member. Thank you all for your valuable insights and contributions that you provide every day.

Back
Top Bottom