Carpenters Karaoke

Jack A.

For the final night of my school class’s trip to Japan, we all went to a karaoke bar. I decided to get up and sing “Top Of The World.” Karen’s contralto on that song seems to fall roughly in the standard male tenor register - which means I could sing it pretty easily. I mentioned that it was one of my mom’s favorite songs and I was doing it as a tribute to her, which touched some people.

None of my peers knew the song - I was singing alone for a while - but by the end of it, the whole room was singing along like they’d been hearing the song their whole lives. Everyone was getting into it. Afterwards, a couple people said it was a good song, and they asked who made it.

The adults in the room were shocked that I knew the song (and knew all the words).

Just thought some of y’all might enjoy hearing that story. I’m glad I got the opportunity to expose some more people my age to the Carpenters’ wonderful music. Goes to show their real genius talent :)

Wow that’s cool. I would sing Carpenters songs at a karaoke evening too. Being a younger fan , I was worried people would laugh and joke about me liking the Carpenters music but they all cheered and sang along

Back
Top Bottom