Recently at the Carpenters Performing Arts Center

David A

Hey all,

This probably doesn't deserve it's own thread but I really couldn't find anywhere else to put it, so...

This past week I was on vacation (Disneyland - finally off the bucket-list) and then down through the "beach cities" until landing in Newport Beach.

Knowing I would be passing through Long Beach, I called the Carpenter's performing Arts center to see if it was possible to stop in and have a look at all of the Carpenters items on display there (Gold records, Hollywood Bowl trophy, photo's, Karen and Richard's first drums/keyboard, etc etc) - I had seen it in 2019 at the 50th Anniversary celebration but my (now) GF had not, so aside from my wanting to see it again, it would be her first time.

I could not believe how kind, accommodating, and friendly the Arts Center was to us - we were put in touch with Jackie, who would be there - or meet us there, if needed - providing alternate days and times we could show up, "wrap on the glass door", and she'd come let us in. NOT only that; we got the entire tour - not just the Carpenters-related stuff, which was of course awesome - but the entire Performing Arts center, from the stage and auditorium to upstairs rooms where the various performing artists stay and prep for their act. We would have gotten a tour of the back-stage and props warehouse but unfortunately they were doing some reconstruction in those areas (we could hear it) so we had to skip that part.

All of that for just two people - normal, not-famous people. Hats off to Jackie and the Carpenters Performing Arts Center for their incredible kindness and willingness to make that part of our vacation a very memorable experience. Wow!

And finally...at one point in Jackie's tour I said "by the way, Jackie, if I donate a million bucks to the Arts Center, can I meet Richard?" I was joking of course, as I don't have that spare change in my pocket - but her answer was swift, polite, and succinct: "Sorry, no." We had a good laugh.

What a rare treat! I hope you had a great time.

I visited the Center back in 2000 while on holiday in LA and hadn’t realised that you needed to pre-book your visit to see the exhibition. I didn’t even get past the security guard, who turned me away. I still remember how bitterly disappointed I was for the rest of the day. Fortunately I did get to see it eventually, at the 50th event visit in 2019.

David, I know you were adding some humor to your conversation with Jackie. I may be wrong, but I have a feeling that Richard would free up some time for lunch with a legitimate donor contributing $1M to his and Karen's namesake venue at their alma mater. If I had that type of disposable income I'd sure give it a shot and I'd even pick up the lunch tab!

David, I know you were adding some humor to your conversation with Jackie. I may be wrong, but I have a feeling that Richard would free up some time for lunch with a legitimate donor contributing $1M to his and Karen's namesake venue at their alma mater. If I had that type of disposable income I'd sure give it a shot and I'd even pick up the lunch tab!

I think you are probably right, but I suspect that Jackie was "trained" to reply to any such "meet Richard" inquiry with a "no, sorry." That makes sense to me.

Yes, I suspect if they knew the offer was legit, offering $1mm in exchange for meeting Richard for a lunch (or even handshake and a few minutes chatting), he'd at least get a call from the Arts center asking "please!" hah!

Alas, don't have a spare million laying around.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom