Carpenters Album Artwork Speculation

WYBIMLA

There has been a lot of speculative discussion lately about The Carpenters and what they might have sounded like doing different songs of the 80s, 90s and 2000s.
It got me thinking about an aspect that's essential to an artists image and brand. That would be the album cover and artwork that goes along with it.

For obvious reasons, there's usually more focus put onto the auditory experience of Carpenters, but what about the visual aspect?

I started to imagine what an album cover might look like during the 80s to begin with. Using their past release dates and anniversaries as a guide.

This is just for fun. I invite other members to use their imagination. No Googling or A.I. necessary. Just empty your mind and try to imagine what looks they would go for Post-Made In America had Karen lived.

For the year 1983, there would have been a release. "Voice of the Heart" probably wouldn't have been the album title. It might've been called "Now."
I'd imagine a similar image from MIA. More pastel colours. Likely a similar composition as the "Touch me when we're dancing" video with Richard drawn/painted at his piano, and Karen in the foreground with their logo centred at the bottom and cursive text saying "now" near the top left. I suppose it would be a 'safe' image to put out there, but a likely contender by 1983.

I'd imagine they'd have gotten a start on their next album in 1985 and it would probably be postponed until 1987 like Richard's Time album. I wouldn't be surprised that they might re-use a few of their previous recordings to fill out this one. They might include "Your baby doesn't love you Anymore" and "At the end of a song" with a new single "Something in your eyes." It might have a cover somewhat like Richard's Time album, but more so a re-creation of the Now & Then album cover. Only that it would be a more updated look with both of them sitting or standing near one of Richard's cars smiling at the camera.

Certainly by this time, they would not be doing promotional videos as it were and would be asked to perform music videos to play on MTV. What that would like look is anybody's guess.
Might be similar to what the "Something in your eyes" video looks like, but with storylines tailored for both Richard and Karen. Perhaps there would be a hired actor to play Karen's love interest or something like that. By the end, have Karen and her new man walking into the sunset googley eyed with Richard and Mary waving them off.
I have no idea how that would work. Otherwise, make it so it's Richard and Karen serenading another couple for the music video inter-spliced with footage of them at the studio.They would have to had to figure out something so that it's a bit more of a story than their promotional videos of the 1970s.

Then, finally for the 1980s, there would have been another Carpenters album in 1989. It wouldn't be called "Lovelines" and the artwork definitely wouldn't have been the MIA photoshoots. By 1989, they would be looking for newer material. "Honolulu City Lights," "You're the one," and "When I fall in love" might be contenders, but probably wouldn't be what would make up the track listing. When I think of a Carpenters look for that year, they might've borrowed from Queen's Miracle album that same year. Maybe hired artists that use the best graphics software of the day to present themselves into some sort of optical illusion that shows their connection as a music duo. If they weren't in the mood for some type of high art look, then might've settled on a nice black and white photo.

During the 1990s I'd think the following years would be most likely they'd put out an album: 1991, 1995, 1997 and 1999.
It's hard to imagine what looks they might have opted for by that time or what material they'd look at along with compilations and live show. By 1991, there was a renewed interest in jazz oldies with Nat and Natalie Cole's Unforgettable duet making it to the top of the charts. So perhaps an album of Jazz standards might be part of their business meetings by the early 1990s.
Potentially re-records of their 1970s songs would be a release they'd both be excited for. It would've been a renaissance for them and their music.
An even more sophisticated look would be in order, and they might've used more simplified graphics and text to promote themselves in the 1990s. It's hard to say really. I don't think they'd be following trends of the 1990s. More so selling themselves as creators of fine, polished music and it would look really sharp by this decade. Far from the days of 'crunchy arms' in Postman or Goofus.

I could go on into speculation about the 2000s and what they might've done musically and creatively, but this is getting rather long. I think you get the idea. What are your thoughts? :)

Last edited:
I'm not too sure Karen and Richard knew where they were headed musically. Therefore it's hard for me to speculate on a look or image. I hope someone is more creative than I am.

I suspect they might have turned out a pop album or two similar to what Richard did with Akiko and possibly an album or two of standards like Linda Ronstadt did with Nelson Riddle. Perhaps they both would have ventured out on their own somewhat to work with other artists. I think Karen would have gotten involved in one of the “Duets” projects, singing with Frank or maybe someone like Bocelli.

Again, this is assuming they were healthy. Had Karen lived, this only would have been possible had they been in better overall shape mentally and emotionally than they were—more specifically Karen.

Last edited:
I suspect they might have turned out a pop album or two similar to what Richard did with Akiko and possibly an album or two of standards like Linda Ronstadt did with Nelson Riddle. Perhaps they both would have ventured out on their own somewhat to work with other artists. I think Karen would have gotten involved in one of the “Duets” projects, singing with Frank or maybe someone like Bocelli.

Again, this is assuming they were healthy. Had Karen lived, this only would have been possible had they been in better overall shape mentally and emotionally than they were—more specifically Karen.

I definitely agree Akiko is a marker for what Carpenters might've sounded and looked like in the late 80s. Even the City of Angels album cover has a look that is telling of what their image might've been. A kind of dreamscape idea fits them nicely and sort of picks up from where MIA left off.
Yeah, dreamscapes and Carpenters.👌

Since I bought the Akiko CD I've wondered if there was more interviews or anything she gave about that. I suppose celebrity culture might differ within Japan-Pop. I'm not 100% sure, but perhaps having as many interviews or documentaries isn't the same there as in America. It would be interesting to hear more of her thoughts if she wanted to share with Carpenters fans.

And since you mentioned Karen duets project that kind of connects once again to Queen and Freddie Mercury in some weird way. Lol In my original post I brought up how The Carpenters might borrow from them. Actually Freddie did his duets album with Montserrat Caballé sometime after his solo album.
Ooo and I forgot to mention film soundtracks too. Kind of like how Queen did their A Kind of Magic album.

I'm not saying Carpenters should copy Queen or anyone else. Just examples and references of the formatting that actually might've worked well for Carpenters in their own way.

Absolutely, their health is priority as it is for any workers in any industry. It's always intriguing to envision what things might've looked like for them and reminds me how much the industry and public missed.

When I sit and think of it, The Carpenters presence was definitely missing in the 80s, 90s and 2000s. They are one the best selling artists of all time, and the list goes on of what should've been Karen and Richard's.
I still think their image would've improved so much to where it wouldn't be so much of a problem for them. I see it likely would've gone into a really sharp, awesome look had they had the chance. Only would've gotten better like a fine wine.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom