• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Carpenters - Change the record (Lyric)!

Could have, for sure. Did he modify any other lyrics in other songs, (apart from those he wrote)?
I know that Bettis modified some lyrics in the Palma Pascale written Love Me For What I Am from Horizon. Unfortunately I couldn't find the specific changes. The song, fully written, was submitted by the publisher and then Richard had John make some adjustments.

She also submitted a song called Box Office Movie King which I guess they considered but ultimately didn't record. Richard had the right to first refusal for her songs for awhile but Love Me For What I Am is the only one they released. Great song, I think.

I know that Bettis modified some lyrics in the Palma Pascale written Love Me For What I Am from Horizon. Unfortunately I couldn't find the specific changes. The song, fully written, was submitted by the publisher and then Richard had John make some adjustments.

She also submitted a song called Box Office Movie King which I guess they considered but ultimately didn't record. Richard had the right to first refusal for her songs for awhile but Love Me For What I Am is the only one they released. Great song, I think.
If you're curious, you can hear the very minor changes Bettis made. I believe her solo version is undisturbed from her original lyrical intent:

Ed

Don't even get me started on 'Tryin' To Get The Feeling Again' :laugh:. The lyric on the Pomeranz demo that found its way to Richard and Karen is a bit of a mess, grammatically speaking.

Second verse comparison below:

Carpenters

When did it leave me
How did I come to misuse
Such a beautiful burnin' (< ?!)
But baby believe me
I've done everything I can do
But somehow it's not returnin'
I've been up down tryin' to get the feeling again
Like a bloodhound searching for a long lost friend
Could you help me rediscover
The way to re-be (< ?!) his lover once again

Barry Manilow

Where did it run to?
I thought I'd done all that I could
Just to keep the love light burnin'
But whatever I've done
I guess I just haven't done it too good
'Cause all that's left is yearning
I've been up down tryin' to get the feeling again
All around tryin' to get the feeling again
The one that made me shiver
Made my knees start to quiver every time she walked in
But I think the line about the bloodhound is amazingly evocative — how well it captures that dedicated searching.

Don't even get me started on 'Tryin' To Get The Feeling Again' :laugh:. The lyric on the Pomeranz demo that found its way to Richard and Karen is a bit of a mess, grammatically speaking.

Second verse comparison below:

Carpenters

When did it leave me
How did I come to misuse
Such a beautiful burnin' (< ?!)
Agree. Just wondering, Is this a beautiful burnin'? Not that it makes any more sense but I always thought I heard it as a beautiful bonnet, but this doesn’t make any sense either….and it doesn’t rhyme the way returning and burnin’ does in Manilow’s version. I don’t see lyrics in the Essentials, and I don’t have the other compilations

If it is bonnet, what does that mean? How do you misuse a bonnet? Maybe the bonnet is a metaphor for something else? I never understood the meaning. Same if it is burnin'.

Karen’s first and only read on the song is incredible, but I side eye that line any time I hear it.

How did I come to misuse, Such a beautiful Bonnet 🤷‍♀️

I think "burnin'" refers to their love that was once alive and strong, and the singer is saying they made mistakes in the relationship that led to it dying. That's just my interpretation.

Agree. Just wondering, Is this a beautiful burnin'? Not that it makes any more sense but I always thought I heard it as a beautiful bonnet

I think "burnin'" refers to their love that was once alive and strong, and the singer is saying they made mistakes in the relationship that led to it dying.

Bonnet has a 't' sound at the end, Karen doesn't pronounce anything like that and phonetically, the words are completely dissimilar. It's 'burnin' as in 'returnin' in the next line. Bizarrely the online lyric site all have 'bonnet' but that makes even less sense than the clumsy lyric that's actually there.

I think "burnin'" refers to their love that was once alive and strong, and the singer is saying they made mistakes in the relationship that led to it dying. That's just my interpretation.
Bonnet has a 't' sound at the end, Karen doesn't pronounce anything like that and phonetically, the words are completely dissimilar. It's 'burnin' as in 'returnin' in the next line. Bizarrely the online lyric site all have 'bonnet' but that makes even less sense than the clumsy lyric that's actually there.
Perfect. Now I can enjoy it more thanks 🙏 And I’m glad it’s not bonnet 😊

Last edited:
Bizarrely the online lyric site all have 'bonnet' but that makes even less sense than the clumsy lyric that's actually there.
I just listened again now that I know and the lyrics on Apple Music also say bonnet. But I clearly hear burnin' now.

Which all brings up the burnin' question of our time - whatever happened to the g in ing words?

Even most professional broadcasters have lost touch with it in everyday conversation. We have goin' and comin' and startin' and stoppin', etc., etc. In fact, when some rare person does actually say the g it's very unique and stands out so much its, well, excitin'...

Which all brings up the burnin' question of our time - whatever happened to the g in ing words?

Even most professional broadcasters have lost touch with it in everyday conversation. We have goin' and comin' and startin' and stoppin', etc., etc. In fact, when some rare person does actually say the g it's very unique and stands out so much its, well, excitin'...

When you think about it, Karen did this an awful lot:

"Sharin' horizons that are new to us"
"Hangin' around, nothin' to do but frown"
"One by one it seems they're comin' true"
"The boy that's drivin' me mad is goin' away"
"I'm on the top of the world lookin' down on creation"
"Free as a song, singin' forever"
"And I'm feelin' good, just holdin' you tight"
"Without ever knowin'...why"

And that's just some of the singles. The album tracks are littered with other examples.

Last edited:
I think it just works better rhythmically to shorten that last syllable. It’s easier to sing and helps you to follow the beat better - if that makes any sense. It’d be kind of awkward to consciously make sure you’re always putting that last “g” syllable on each word. In music, you just want to do what feels right, and oftentimes changing up a couple standard English grammar rules works better with that “feel.”

I think it just works better rhythmically to shorten that last syllable. It’s easier to sing and helps you to follow the beat better - if that makes any sense. It’d be kind of awkward to consciously make sure you’re always putting that last “g” syllable on each word. In music, you just want to do what feels right, and oftentimes changing up a couple standard English grammar rules works better with that “feel.”

I agree, it sounds more natural singing it that way, especially to someone with such innate rhythm. I was just illustrating that Karen is guilty of it too :)

Sounds like the same number of syllables: go-ing or go-in'. Dropping the g sounds more casual or informal, and is commonplace in song lyrics & everyday conversation. What isn't acceptable is broadcast professionals like news anchors and reporters doing this. They know better, or should. They also often butcher the word for (rhymes with core or sore) and pronounce it as fer, (rhymes with her), which has no place in formal settings.

Off my soapbox now...

Back
Top Bottom