Christmas Portrait: Musings and a true story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony

I played Christmas Portrait (the special edition) twice this weekend all the way through, and it struck me for the first time how poignant the sentiment being expressed by Richard is as he sings "Old-Fashioned Christmas". I've always figured he was singing about old-fashioned, somewhat idealized, Christmas celebrations in general. But it occurred to me all of a sudden that the lyrics could just as easily be referring to how much he misses the way Christmas used to be when Karen was alive. When the song concludes with "I send an old-fashioned Christmas to you" it's as if he's saying "Now, let's turn back time and all remember how things once were. That's my gift to you." And then, almost magically, after a few brief nostalgic musical phrases and a sprinkle of twinkling chimes Richard takes us back to another place as Karen begins to sing "Frosted window panes...". I love that moment.

This happened this weekend too: I was visiting a friend and he had about 10 copies of Christmas Portrait on his kitchen counter. I asked him why and he said he bought them every year as last-minute gifts and party favors for friends during the holidays. He said "It's the best Christmas CD ever!" And I had no idea he liked the C's.

Tony

Thanks for sharing that, Tony. That is beautiful. Yeah, what a great moment that is when Karen comes in with her opening lines of "Christmas Waltz". You can't help but think about how Karen loved Christmas so much. It makes it all the more touching.

I liked hearing the story about your friend who has all those Christmas Portrait CDs on his counter. How neat. I bought a couple of copies as gifts as well this year. Nobody who loves the holidays should be without it.

My second favorite Christmas CD is "Christmas Eve with Johnny Mathis" from 1986. It is great from start to finish and contains some seldom heard but beautiful performances of "Every Christmas Eve / Giving" composed and conducted by Henry Mancini. It's very haunting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom