• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Christmas Portrait Test Pressing LP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

http://cgi.ebay.com/Carpenters-Chri...goryZ306QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Why is there only notes about Side 1? Also the seller say the album opens up, they must mean that these notes are just slide in from the side opening, right?

I saved the pic of the notes and enlarged the print to read and it says at the bottom right corner:

CORRECTION:
4/20/78 (not sure the exact date here)
Side One All Bands
Timing Additions

Wonder what all that means? Anything special here? Why does it say Correction?

The date could also be 9-20-78.

RolandChayerCarpentersChristmasPortraitLP1978TestNotes.jpg

OK, I think I know what this is. I have an A&M Test Pressing of the Pablo Cruise LIFELINE album. It was delivered in advance to the radio station I worked for at the time and the description in the eBay ad makes it sound just like this one.

The front and back cover, all printed on one 24x12 sheet, are folded in half so that it's like a giant fold-over booklet in a barebones CD. But it's slightly larger than 12x12, because it's not folded over at the top and bottom the way a standard jacket would be. Attached to the "inside" of this foldover is a plain-white LP jacket, stapled and taped to the back part of the inside of the fold-over. On the outside of the plain-white jacket, the record company rep has pasted information about the tracks on the disk, information that looks like it was Xeroxed from inner-sleeve liner notes.

It was all done to provide the radio station with enough information and sampling of the artwork to deal intelligently with the album on-air. My recollection about this Pablo Cruise album is that the moment a "real" album arrived, this test pressing was tossed in the throwaway pile, just because it didn't quite conform to size and had nothing written or printed on the label but the "matrix" number and the side designation. That's when I picked it up. I like the instrumental "Zero To Sixty In Five" on it.

The oversized nature of the outer cardboard is what likely caused the fraying of the edges on the eBay auction album. This happened to my Pablo Cruise cover too.

It could be an interesting adition to a collector who wants all variations of a record possible.

Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom