• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

🎄 Holidays! Christmas video

That's a cool light display. I have a feeling there will be a national contest next year to out-do this guy's display. (He used 26,000 lights on 88 separate circuits.)

This guy was forced to turn off the display some time last week. It was creating traffic problems in his neighborhood which didn't sit too well with his neighbors. The video is the only thing left.

Capt. Bacardi

We've had a few over-the-top displays over the past several years, and while they were not shut down, it was "suggested" they not put up such a large display the following year. Traffic and light/noise pollution were the issues. I'd hate to have to live next door to something like that. Something more modest like we do in our neighborhood is fine IMHO.

With computer technology I'd think it'd be easy to make something where the lights could be faded on and off more gently thereby decreasing the annoying effect. Personally I can't see putting that much effort into outdoor lights, but I think they're cool to look at. We do the more modest one-string-around-the-rooftop and lights-in-the-front-windows approach.

Well, my wife is a Christmas fanatic. We have 11 of those giant sized Christmas storage bins (the ones about as bis as a small coffin). Three contain outside decorations and lights; the rest are indoor decorations. It looks like Christmas threw-up all over our house.

As much as I like Christmas I hate pulling the bins out and then running the lights around the outside. This year I gave up and installed two outdoor outlests under the eaves to make it easier and not blow fuses. But our display is nothing like the guy on that video clip.

There's a guy down the stree whose name we don'ty know but we call him Clark Griswold -- his house is lit up exactly like Chevy Chase's in Christmas Vacation (maybe even more lights). His house is the biggest draw on the street and (as you get furether up) my house in the middle of a row of three houses are the second biggest draw. Yes, I dread my next electric bill!

--Mr Bill

Since we were going away in early December, we actually got a head start this year, putting some of the outside stuff up after we got home from the Thanksgiving trip.

Typically we put a lighted Nativity scene on our front porch and white candles in the windows. Nothing fancy, but it works. This year we went a step further, adding some of those net lights over the front azalea bushes, and a bunch of those lighted cany-canes along the front sidewalk on the other side of the house.

We got the candles in the windows this past weekend, and we dragged out the fake Christmas tree that we bought a few years ago in a last-minute attempt to get SOMETHING. (I think our days of real Christmas trees are behind us.)

Last winter the tree stayed up well into February, so we took off the fragile ornaments, left the lights on and stuck it in the basement with a sheet over it to keep it from getting dusty. On Sunday, we dragged it back upstairs and plugged it in - instant Christmas!

Now all we have to do is get out the ornaments and choo-choos.

Harry :bigsanta:

OK, now MY tree is finally up! Should have it back down by EASTER! :santa: By the way, I liked the video, too!:cool:

Dave

Back
Top Bottom